News:

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

It will be like Heaven, when I finally find Kevin, in Sharing 4-5-7!!

Started by MelodyB, February 15, 2012, 05:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chseeads

SippinTea

:pound: Sethers. I have to pound you just for principle's sake, but it WAS funny. Especially so since they already call me that sometimes. :P

Melodya - thanks for the text message with titles! I couldn't understand everything on the voice message though. Maybe text those too when you have a moment?

:beret:
"Going somewhere means leaving somewhere. Choosing something means choosing against other things. Gaining something means losing something else. And between the old and new--the 'was' and the 'not yet'--there exists only one thing: a very frightening journey called faith."
--taken from the book Coming Up For Air

MelodyB

Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

SippinTea

"Going somewhere means leaving somewhere. Choosing something means choosing against other things. Gaining something means losing something else. And between the old and new--the 'was' and the 'not yet'--there exists only one thing: a very frightening journey called faith."

MelodyB

Melody

Ruby  I don't want to text you more! 

Gregor the Overlander series
Peter & the Starcatchers  (peter pan)
Redwall series
Dear America series.  It seems girly, & kinda short but they are historically accurate.
The Missing series.

MelodyB

The Purple Fuzzy

MsJennJenn

Ruby my book ideas are old school, but I'd try The Hardy Boys, and The Boxcar Children.

I read allllll the boxcar children and loved, loved it!
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

SippinTea

Quote from: MelodyB on February 24, 2012, 10:33:29 PM
She said she didn't want to text you! :o

The nerve!

:nono:

:o I know! I'm crushed... :sadbounce:

*snortlaugh*

Anyhow then... MY, they're eating up the Redwall books like they're candy. And I'm furiously writing a list off of all the titles you're giving me so's I can check our library soon as I get a chance to. Thanks!!

Jenn - Mel suggested Hardy Boys, too, but I'd rather get them reading better quality writers. And I'm afraid the Boxcar Children would be too young for them. Jason might like them. Maybe. I could give him one to try out. :)

Roscoe

Quote from: SippinTea on February 24, 2012, 11:31:13 PM
Quote from: MelodyB on February 24, 2012, 10:33:29 PM
She said she didn't want to text you! :o

The nerve!

:nono:

:o I know! I'm crushed... :sadbounce:

*snortlaugh*

Anyhow then... MY, they're eating up the Redwall books like they're candy. And I'm furiously writing a list off of all the titles you're giving me so's I can check our library soon as I get a chance to. Thanks!!

Jenn - Mel suggested Hardy Boys, too, but I'd rather get them reading better quality writers. And I'm afraid the Boxcar Children would be too young for them. Jason might like them. Maybe. I could give him one to try out. :)

Better writer than Franklin W. Dixon?!? HERESY!

I grew up reading them....still have been known to sneak a peek at new "Casefile" versions when left alone in the bookstore.  :biglaugh: Of course, I used to get in trouble for reading the cereal box at the breakfast table, too. If it was printed, I wanted to read it.
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

MsJennJenn

Eh, reading is reading in my opinion. Far better thing to do (regardless of quality of writer) than to play video games or watch tv like 90% of the younger generation now does.

Besides the Hardy Boys obviously had something going right....I'm pretty sure they made good money for their day and the type of reading it was/is!
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-

Roscoe

Quote from: MsJennJenn on February 24, 2012, 11:39:20 PM
Eh, reading is reading in my opinion. Far better thing to do (regardless of quality of writer) than to play video games or watch tv like 90% of the younger generation now does.

Besides the Hardy Boys obviously had something going right....I'm pretty sure they made good money for their day and the type of reading it was/is!
Yup....I think I've still got a couple in my collection, actually. I've always subscribed to the idea that a book was a friend, and I don't believe I've ever willingly discarded one. No telling how many Lou has discarded for me,though :lol:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

MsJennJenn

When we were kids Mom would take us to the library (my brother and I) and we'd both come home with anywhere between 10-15 books apiece! We didn't (and still don't) own a TV or have any video games! So it was books or outside! Haha
-Alexander Den Heijer-

Roscoe

Quote from: MsJennJenn on February 25, 2012, 12:32:34 AM
When we were kids Mom would take us to the library (my brother and I) and we'd both come home with anywhere between 10-15 books apiece! We didn't (and still don't) own a TV or have any video games! So it was books or outside! Haha
Same here. I've been a speed reader all of my life, and it irritates my wife, who is not big on reading, to no end. She can't understand how I can pick up a book and honestly not realize that someone is trying to talk to me. Why should I, I'm probably thousands of miles away, in a different time period. :laughhard:

MelodyB

MelodyB

Yeeee haaa!

My brother just called (John) and he has a set of tires for the truck to GIVE us!  And he talked to my other brother (Chad) and he is gonna go get them, bring them here in a couple of weeks, and put them on for us!

Yay! God answers prayer!

kmymbir

I'll sing for Mel at the funeral.  :great:

:sing:"Mel Fell in to a burning ring of Fire".. :sing: :sing:
"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others." - Unknown

Melody

One more Ruby! 

Magaret Haddix wrote the series  that all begin with the words, "Among the..."   I even love them.  We read them together, just cause we had such interesting conversations about them.

Roscoe

That's great, Mel. And in sharing- I got almost nothing done today. Lou and I went flea market crawling (one of our favorite pastimes) after the library, and I found four more 1940-1950's radios that I need.....every since I bought the 1942 Silvertone, I've gotten hooked on these things. They're reasonable priced, and there's just something about the soft glow they give off that I love. I can turn one on, and imagine all the world news that probably came over it way back when...and on those rare occasions that I can pick up the grand Ole Oprey on WSM 650 am, I'm transported back 50 years. I'm just an oddball I guess. I even enjoy the soft "crackle" the speaker gives off.

Of the four I found, one was WAY overpriced, one was a floor model in poor shape, and two were perfect- and cheap. Lou wasn't fond of me dragging anything else in, so I'll have to sneak back later this week sans Lou and hope no other antique radio nerd finds them. :laughhard: I need to give up on old cars, keep Rusty and focus on the radios.. they're easier to conceal from the spousal unit. :P

Well, the radios are- the 1953 RCA Console TV I found today as well wouldn't be... the first television that has really tempted me! :laughhard:

Chseeads

Did my taxes, but the e-file thing messed up for my federal....  I always used TaxAct the last few years to file federal, and then the state had it's own thing to file with them...

So I did the TaxAct federal, and then went on to state, which has changed this year and they don't have their own internal site now, they give you the options to use various other free filing sites...  Well, so I picked TurboTax from their list...but you have to enter all your federal info first to get it to flow through to your state, can't just enter it into state on it's own....

And I THINK that's what messed things up....Maybe...even though I hadn't submitted a federal on there through them....I dunno...but anyways, the TaxAct notice came back to me that the federal e-file wasn't accepted because my ID had already been used to submit a return....  So unless somebody pretended to be me at some prior point (Lord only knows why anybody would want to do that lol)....then it must be that being on TurboTax made it cross wires and not go through....  So I have to mail it in....  :-?

Bah. 

I do get money back on Fed and don't have to pay any state though, so that's good.  Just a pain on the stupid filing end....

But what else is new?  :smirk2:

taco_harvell

Ruby: If they haven't red it yet I would suggest "Where the Red Fern Grows". One of my favorites as a kid. Also, I still enjoy reading the Hardy Boys. Recently, I came across one of the Wimpy Kid books and read the whole thing in about two hours. It was pretty good. I am told not all of them are that great though.
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

taco_harvell

Quote from: Roscoe on February 25, 2012, 01:11:59 AM

Of the four I found, one was WAY overpriced, one was a floor model in poor shape, and two were perfect- and cheap. Lou wasn't fond of me dragging anything else in, so I'll have to sneak back later this week sans Lou and hope no other antique radio nerd finds them. :laughhard: I need to give up on old cars, keep Rusty and focus on the radios.. they're easier to conceal from the spousal unit. :P

Okay, I'll take care of all those cars for you!!! Since you want to get rid of them. lol
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

SippinTea

Yay! You all rock! Thanks for the great suggestions. My library list is growing rapidly. :bigcheese:

Remember Rooster? Yeah, he used to post here... way back when. Well, I get to meet him and his wife tomorrow. Yippee!  :great:  I guess he's related (not sure exactly the connection) to the new pastor in the area, and is coming for the installation service. Pretty funny how small the world really is sometimes. :)

MelodyB