News:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Isaac's on another spree - another box of CDs in SHARING 483

Started by Lynx, May 03, 2013, 03:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heather

How do you have a school in OK WITHOUT sufficient tornado shelter? Just something I was thinking of last night.

Slept weird. My lower back hurts. Hope for a quick day at work.
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

Roscoe

I heard this morning that most of the children drowned after a water main was broken and filled the basement they were in.  :cry: Don't know how true that is, just something I heard. We've got some wind and storms today. I fought my way into work- wind was blowing me every way except the way I wanted, and it is coming a flood now.
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Melody

Oklahoman buildings do not have basements.  The red clay ground makes it a huge expensive feat.  Most houses do not have basemeents either.  There are cellar type storm shelters a person can have put in  but it's expensive.

The Purple Fuzzy

When I worked at the school we were supposed to get to an inside load bearing wall.

mini

Ok.

Now that I can post again, Ill say a few things.

My heart is heavy today.  Even though I live here in Oklahoma, I cant imagine losing everything.  How many people went home to nothing?  How many more barely survived?

And the parents who lost little ones break my heart.

As I type this, the news just reported that the casualites went from 51 to 24.  Unfortunately, this number is still expected to rise.

The first thing I would remind everyone is that there is PLENTY of miscommunication.  Everyone wants to hope for the best (as I reported a few posts ago), while we expect the worst.

Next, there is plenty of glurge (overly sweet stories of heroism that have no base).  The heros will show as teachers, parents, emergency personel, and every day joes who just rose to the call of a emergency.

Third, there is plenty of horrified people here.  Horrified people who have lost everything.  And their friends dont help when they question decisions and spread miscommunication. 

Heather brought up a good question:

Quote from: HeatherB on May 21, 2013, 10:38:02 AM
How do you have a school in OK WITHOUT sufficient tornado shelter? Just something I was thinking of last night.

Funding.   Our newer schools do have storm shelters.  In our community, we use this as a community safe room now.  Anytime we have bad weather, we open it up for anyone.  As schools are updated, safe rooms are probably a requirement.  Older schools unfortunately have not done that yet.

Quote from: The Purple Fuzzy on May 21, 2013, 01:07:06 PM
When I worked at the school we were supposed to get to an inside load bearing wall.

This is what we are taught, and what we do.  Yesterday, that school got hit directly by a 200 mph tornado.  Not good.  There is no way a load bearing wall could take that.

Another question people asked is "Why didn't they dismiss and get those kids out of school?"  My wife (A carrer teacher and now administrator) said this:  Would you rather have your kids in a structure, or on a tin can on wheels?

Quote from: MellowYellow on May 21, 2013, 12:45:49 PM
Oklahoman buildings do not have basements.  The red clay ground makes it a huge expensive feat.  Most houses do not have basemeents either.  There are cellar type storm shelters a person can have put in  but it's expensive.

Cellars (fraidy holes...I heard Travis Myer, news on 6, say this yesterday.  I'm glad I am not the only one that calls them that) are as common here as swimming pools are in California.  Basements however are not.  More than the red clay, basements seem to be more of a northern thing.  We just dont need them as much as other parts of the country do.  I always looked at them as a cold weather thing.  Also, would you want to be in a basement and have a house fall on top of you?  Cellars are usually free standing or built into the house but protected from the structure of the house.

Im sure I will have more later.

-mini

DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Lynx

Quote from: Roscoe on May 21, 2013, 11:36:58 AM
I fought my way into work- wind was blowing me every way except the way I wanted, and it is coming a flood now.
Wanted, or needed?  I might have been tempted to not fight quite so hard to get there.   :updown:

I dunno... when I mention I live in Tennessee, people talk about tornadoes.  I've never even seen one.  The way you folks are talking about how many you've seen and how many come through where you live, I'm DEFINITELY staying down here in Tennessee. 
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Roscoe

I agree with mini....basements are more of a northern thing although we have them. You dont wanna use one as a storm shelter as most of them here have just the floor joists of the house for a roof. In a storm the house either falls on you or you get sucked out...
Schools here are like germ said too...our older schools dont have shelters but the newer ones do. unfortunantly it seems the limited money we spend on the school system goes to other areas and storm shelters are low on the list until an emergency happens...
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Roscoe

Quote from: Psalm_97 on May 21, 2013, 02:35:37 PM
Quote from: Roscoe on May 21, 2013, 11:36:58 AM
I fought my way into work- wind was blowing me every way except the way I wanted, and it is coming a flood now.
Wanted, or needed?  I might have been tempted to not fight quite so hard to get there.   :updown:

I dunno... when I mention I live in Tennessee, people talk about tornadoes.  I've never even seen one.  The way you folks are talking about how many you've seen and how many come through where you live, I'm DEFINITELY staying down here in Tennessee.
We get a couple rounds a year but tornados are usually not as common as in the plains. Whe we do have one it is usually a small one- which is no consolation if it is your house that is hit. lol

mini

*grumbles*

I get a phone call asking for information that is located 40 feet away from the person calling, in the same building.  Instead of walking over there, asking for the information, having a pleasant conversation with the party involved, they call me, ask me to send it all to them.  I am 5 miles from them.  LOL

I say no,  I will not copy it all, because the secretary has it.  This lead to a 15 minute conversation because this person did not want to walk over there, but wanted me to email all this information to her.

*sigh*

Edit 1:  I call the secretary, and ask if indeed she has all info.  Secretary blows up.  Im mad cause employee was lazy.  Secretary is mad on a whole other level, and threatens to talk to big boss.

After phone call, I remember employee said that they needed info for auditors.  I call secretary and tell her that.  Secretary turns from small blond lady into incredible hulk and flips her lid.

Apparently secretary and employee has been fighting.  And it went overboard crazy when I called.

I then call my immediate boss, who secretary works for and say "Um...I unintentionally caused a fight."  My boss listens, and says "I think im staying out of this one."

Secretary is currently in big bosses office planning homicide.

LOL
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Lynx

Forget wheels, or even dunkin donuts - today's generation runs on wireless.   :cool:
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

mini

Im running all right...but not for wireless or office.  Im running for my life.  LOL

Lynx

"Do you sing at church?"

Roscoe

Quote from: minnesota68 on May 21, 2013, 06:18:25 PM
Im running all right...but not for wireless or office.  Im running for my life.  LOL
:laughhard:

kmymbir

jumping on to say HI!!
Gotta get off and finish cleaning the house.
About to put dinner on.
Hubby got me a dog! I love her! it's a cockier spaniel and
her name is cricket lol.
She sleeps in the room with us at the foot of our bed!
"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others." - Unknown

mini

Heather

Hi Kimber!

I really should be taking a shower before the storm hits rather than be on here.......
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

SippinTea

"Going somewhere means leaving somewhere. Choosing something means choosing against other things. Gaining something means losing something else. And between the old and new--the 'was' and the 'not yet'--there exists only one thing: a very frightening journey called faith."
--taken from the book Coming Up For Air

Chseeads

Newsman

Roscoe

Quote from: SippinTea on May 22, 2013, 04:06:45 AM
Hi.

:beret:
*faints* You DO still exist. :o
And morning all. We made it through the storms without any problems- in fact the last wind storm kinda helped me. One of my ham antenna masts was slightly bent, and I've been meaning to take it down and straighten it..well, the wind storm straightened it for me. Looks better than I could've made it look.  :laughhard:
But now I'm back at work, with a mostly sunny day forecast. I am ready for the weekend already.

mini

I had to break bad news to Roscoe today.  I have freinds weirder than him.  So weird in fact that it makes him look downright normal.

The Purple Fuzzy

We lost electricity and internet last night.  The electricity came back on about bed time but the internet is still out.

Lynx

Then you must be stealing company internet, you mooch.
"Do you sing at church?"

The Purple Fuzzy

Almost all of my work is done on the internet.  Glad they made these tabbed browsers, makes it easy to jump from page to page when waiting on something to process.

Roscoe

Quote from: mini on May 22, 2013, 01:19:54 PM
I had to break bad news to Roscoe today.  I have freinds weirder than him.  So weird in fact that it makes him look downright normal.
This fact depressed and distressed me. I like being abnormal. And if I am the new normal....well, you guys are in trouble. :sadbounce: