Pile a few more beans on your plate...second helpings abound in SHARING 4-7-8!

Started by MelodyB, January 27, 2013, 01:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melody

The whole Furby subject has me laughing.  Poor Mel and just a smidgen of poor dog for how his owner has trained and taken care of him or the lack thereof.

Today, I'm making a giant apple pie for cell group tonight.  Well, giant as in a jelly roll pan size. I love that homemade apple pies do not have to be fancy.  It seems people enjoy them just as much when the pastry crust is fancily constructed or simply put together.  For tonight's however, I think I'm going to tint half the dough for the top crust pinkish and cut out heart shapes to layer on top.  Everyone in our cell group is married so there's no awkwardness about Valentine's.

We really don't do much if anything for the holiday usually but Hannah begged for weeks to buy the heart shaped raviolis at Costco.. lol  So we're having a family Valentines, which I'm not even sure if that makes sense... lol

We had a very uncomfortable situation last night at church.  There is this boy that likes Hannah.  For the last year?  He has bought her gifts here and there.  The first one was a purse! filled with goodies and we were actually kind of taken aback by it and a little uncomfortable.  I should have stopped it right then and there.  But I thought I was being too harsh probably since his parents made so light of it.  I let Hannah make him a muffin or cookies or something at one point as a thank you.  We had a little fun with the naivety of their crush a bit.  Then... ugh.  It is still bothering me I guess.  Everyone in the church knew Hannah and this boy liked each other.  They didn't spend anymore time together than before, which is almost nothing, consisting of before and after church in the sanctuary while the adults visit, during SS class, always with all the other kids there as well.  NO_aloneness, NO physical contact, they're 10 for Pete's sake... lol 

It's impossible to keep a kid from having a crush.  Not really a problem, but when they both like eachother, for an extended period of time, conversations must be had... lol 

So, people have giggled about them too and I have too, but the mom a few times has had somewhat of a different look on her face that I couldn't read.  Until she informed me one night after church that Hannah was in his personal space visiting and he didn't seem to appreciate it.  That's was it in a nutshell but what the forsighted tone said to me was:  "your child is pursuing my child not the other way around, she's after him."  I have kept a pretty good eye on them and it's been the boy that has said some very forward things.  But neither here nor there, whether Hannah has been or not, we decided that was it.  It's done.  Hannah is a confident go getter, often silly/ornery girl (she gets it from her Dad  :hypocrite: )  With her tact of sometimes less than a 10yr. old's, I can see how that can be interpreted as too forward.  So this little innocent romance can be over.  I should have stopped it way back then.  The Dad is nice as all get out and trying to teach his son to treat the girl you like special. The mom doesn't seem to think it's anything but innocent sweetness. But there is some lack of understanding there.  And I cannot forgo interceding in a situation where Hannah could be made out to be or get a reputation for being boy crazy or forward.  Because she isn't.  And I'm not a parent that thinks my kids are perfect.  Lord, I have to really work hard to make sure the culture I was raised in that speaks down to and bad about to others of their kids.  I have to purposely go out of my way to say nice things about my kids, not because I don't believe them but because I don't want to be a parent bragger, blind to their flaws. 

So weeks ago, when this comment was made in clear insinuation, we told Hannah "No more receiving gifts."  That friendship is the most important thing, especially if you like each other. They rarely see each other, only at church.  That gifts like that are for people who are seriously thinking about marriage.  We discussed with her how to respond, not actually expecting any more since the mom's comment. 

But the boy got Hannah a heart shaped box of chocolates and stickers.  I feel bad for him actually.  Hannah told him it was too much and that she could not accept it.  He was a little flustered, poor guy.  He insisted she take it and she let him know she couldn't, her parents said so.  So he told her she could give it to her friends.  The boy is awfully sweet.

I wish I could tell the mom where we stand and it not turn into drama.  I wish they would have had him tone it down or not let him be so extravagant in the first place.  I wish they would recognize that little girl's hearts can be so quickly submissive to someone that makes them feel special. 

It's very difficult ground to talk to Hannah about having a high standard in who she likes in the future without sounding as if some people just aren't good enough.  It's hard having even to address it when she_is_only_10, for crying out loud.  She should just be able to like another little boy and it be some discrete crush.  Gifts and bold statements take it to another level that it doesn't need to be.  And when Hannah's response is interpreted at being some prephase unchasteness, it takes whatever cuteness there was and makes it unecessary drama. 

*sigh* thanks for letting me vent.  I shouldn't have let her ever accept the first gift.  It shouldn't have thrown me off so much.  Her vibrant personality does attract people in general. 

Chseeads

As for the gifts, total fault rests on the boy's parents.  The 10 year old does not have a job, earn money, drive to the store and make purchases......

MelodyB

Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

The Purple Fuzzy

Quote from: Chseeads on February 13, 2013, 08:08:10 PM
As for the gifts, total fault rests on the boy's parents.  The 10 year old does not have a job, earn money, drive to the store and make purchases......

Right.
I blessed you for that, Seth.

mini

What I dont get is how that mom can allow her son to bring Mellers daughter gifts, then in essence blame Meller for the whole deal.
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Lynx

She was very... uh... forward and brash to accept the gifts.  Yeah...
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

SippinTea

Quote from: The Purple Fuzzy on February 13, 2013, 08:35:30 PM
Quote from: Chseeads on February 13, 2013, 08:08:10 PM

Right.
I blessed you for that, Seth.

Precisely. I blessed him for that, too.  :cool:

Quote from: minnesota68 on February 13, 2013, 08:54:03 PM
What I dont get is how that mom can allow her son to bring Mellers daughter gifts, then in essence blame Meller for the whole deal.

I'm still shaking my head over that one.

'Scuse me?!? YOUR son brought MY daughter extravagant gifts, and MY daughter is the one being forward? :o Okay then.

You have every right to be perturbed/upset, Melodya. It's completely ridiculous for parents of a ten yr old boy to be allowing behavior like that. If he's a really good friend of hers, and wanted to give her a birthday gift or something, fine. But a V-day present, and personal type gifts?!? Nuh uh. I'd be upset too.

Girls/women have enough trouble not becoming emotionally involved in relationships too soon. Age 10?!? Eeks.

I may have mentioned this before, but.... have you done the Passport to Purity stuff with her? Sounds like she's at the perfect age for it to start making sense.

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

Lynx

Things have been a bit aggravating in my world today.  I got the smartphone I ordered, but it didn't come with a cable.  Ebay listing didn't make this clear, so this was a bit of an inconvenience.  So I went down to the local computer store for a USB micro cable.  They didn't have one, and the guy tried to tell me that the USB cables he had (mini-A, mini-B, etc) were all the standard ones they make, and my phone probably uses a proprietary cable that I have to get from the phone manufacturer.  Um... yeah, it's just a standard USB micro connection.  Apparently the computer expert had never heard of USB micro.

So I called around - Radio Shack is closing down and didn't have one, but Wal-Mart said they had one for $10, which is what I had to spend.  Got there and I don't know what the lady on the phone was looking at, but they're more than $10.  So I got a wall charger with a USB micro tip.  I don't really need to connect it to the computer right now anyway, right? 

Got back home, charged the phone, tried to update Android because the currently installed version is more buggy than a Las Vegas motel.  Unfortunately you have to connect it to a computer to update the software.   :frustrated:

Lesson learned:  If they don't explain exactly what is in the box with ebay listings, ask.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Heather

Today was.....interesting.

My eyes are currently on fire because Brandon smoked up the house while cooking dinner.
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

MelodyB

Chseeads

Quote from: MelodyB on February 14, 2013, 02:20:26 AM
How is he doing with the quitting smoking thing? Still good?

Apparently he's started burning other things to make up for it....  :smirk2:

mini

Quote from: Chseeads on February 14, 2013, 02:24:24 AM

I blessed thee for that, my son.
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Roscoe

Quote from: minnesota68 on February 14, 2013, 03:11:40 AM
Quote from: Chseeads on February 14, 2013, 02:24:24 AM

I blessed thee for that, my son.
As did I. :hypocrite:

Now, if he starts burning stuff around Meller Yeller, we'll have something to be concerned about. :smirk2:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

sunlight

:attackhug: Be full of hugs!

MelodyB

Chseeads

:sing:

I am blessed, I am blessed, everyday that I post, I am blessed....

Well, at least one day anyways. :P

I just ordered some fruit trees/plants.  God help me.

Going to bed so I can get up and go to work tomorrow. Puke.

Newsman

Lynx

"Do you sing at church?"

MelodyB

I hate this holiday. And not cause I'm single. I hate all fake holidays that are so commercialized and just seems to be money hungry stores that gain profit from people by promoting a day that should be carried out every day.

I dont need a special day to tell my friends and family how much I care. If I really do care, it's more fun and special to buy gifts and cards and candy unexpectedly throughout the year. It's more fun that way anyway. I don't need a holiday with a chubby baby trying to shoot people.

SMH.

But a happy day to the rest of yas! :hypocrite:

MelodyB

Oh and good morning.

I'm sitting in the parking lot waiting for the Dialysis to open so I can drop dad off. I do this three times a week, rain or shine, cold or hot, awake or sleepy, sick or well. Without complaint.

That's how I show love. On the ordinary days.

:D

Roscoe

Merning.....And FTR, I am on the chubby baby's side. It's quite fun to shoot people.  :hypocrite:

It is my Friday. :clap: And my valentine's day word to it-
"Oh, Friday, I have missed thee so
All week to thee I wanted to go.
Now move along in a rapid way
Tomorrow's Saturday, and that's MY day!"

:P :P
And in other news of Valentines, I have been hosed in a most unexpected way. See, Lou ALWAYS has to work on Valentine's day. Therefore, I ALWAYS send her flowers to work. No problems, ten minutes on the phone and my wife enjoys showing off her flowers. This year, however is different. Some bonehead gave her the day off and now I have no way to order flowers for her. This, friends, is a fact I discovered late last night, with no time to make other arrangements. We live so far out in the country that they won't deliver, and she won't stay home long enough to receive them anyway.  :smirk2:
So- I am going to pick up her a laptop today. Much more expensive. Hopefully, it shall redeem me from the pickle I find myself in, and MAYBE she won't be suspicious about what I'M buying next. :freaky2:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Heather

Quote from: Chseeads on February 14, 2013, 05:24:50 AM
I just ordered some fruit trees/plants.  God help me.

I misread that as pants and had to go back and reread it. lol

With the smoking thing. He hasn't had a cigarette in 6 weeks. He has however decided to smoke Swisher Sweet mini cigar things in his car. The smell horrible. Not as bad as cigarettes. He does only smoke like 1 or 2 a day as opposed to 2 PACKS of cigarettes a day. But I feel like he's set one thing down just to pick up another. We'll see how this turns out....Still not smoking in the house though and I've made my car off limits.

Work. Gym. For Valentine's day all I've asked for is not to have to cook when I get home.
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

Chseeads

Melody

Morning to you sillies.

I am thankful there is a day set aside, commercialized or not for these waffle brained men who are working so hard to provide for their families, romance sometimes has to take a back burner. Yes, they should just always be romantic, but they're human.  Nathan's work hours got changed to 10hrs in 4days which give Friday off which has meant he takes a side job for the Friday & Saturday.  The poor guy needs an excuse to divert his atention to something lighthearted. 

Aaaaand I am thankful he got something for Hannah.  Coming from a man that is there for her day in and day out, teaches her gifts are an extension of love-already-shown not the other way around. Rarely do we have room in the budget for random gifts throughout the year.

The Purple Fuzzy

Morning all.  I'm at work.

We don't do Valentine's Day either... except maybe buy candy marked down the next day. ;)