News:

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Pile a few more beans on your plate...second helpings abound in SHARING 4-7-8!

Started by MelodyB, January 27, 2013, 01:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

Quote from: Newsman on February 08, 2013, 03:02:00 AM
Had an interesting odd luittle square-shaped baked? biscuit at a restaurant this evening. A hint of sweetness to it. Custom baked stuff., apparently. Pretty tasty.

John  :waving:
Was it perchance a scone?
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Roscoe

Quote from: Chseeads on February 08, 2013, 04:51:15 AM
You're off every day. 

Oh, you mean, work, not your rocker......
:pound: :pound: Oh, and *smite*. why you so mean to me? :cry:

I'm up. Not by choice. Lou got up to go to work at 5:30 and apparently her motto is " If I can't sleep in, nobody will"  :smirk2: Between the noise and, after she left, the texts reminding me of something she wants me to do today, I gave up and got up.
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Chseeads

I didn't sleep worth pooty.  Couldn't rest.  Woke up over and over.  Moved around a zillion times.  And dreamed nutty stuff, CONSTANTLY.  The waking up didn't stop it even, I was not conscious enough to break that off, I'd just lapse directly back into crazy stuff.

Blah.

Going to work.

MelodyB

I slept well, except my 5 zillion trips to potty. :flush: But this morning I feel awful. I've already made breakfast of tomato gravy and biscuits, ate, showered, cleaned the kitchen, and ran the dishwasher. Then I promply threw up. Twice.

Now I have to go make these cakes though. They won't make themselves. Has to be done by noon today. :o

Gotta hurry.
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

MelodyB

Oh, I have supper started in the crock pot already too. I forgot that point.

mini

DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

The Purple Fuzzy

MsJennJenn

No it doesn't. At all. Like chocolate gravy. Hurl. Or brown gravy. Hurl.
The only good gravy is white!
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

MelodyB

Tomato gravy is wonderful. My granddaddy used to make it. I can make a good variation, but I've never been able to replicate his recipe. No one can. It's a talent that died with him.

Anyway...how it's done is you start like any other gravy, brown your flour in some oil. I add salt and Greek seasoning to the flour. After its the right consistency, like a paste, and browned, then dump a can of diced tomatoes in there. Sometimes I use two cans if there is a lot of people eating. Then you add water and stir till its all hot and bubbly, and thickness you prefer. Cover your biscuits and enjoy!

YUMMY!

The Purple Fuzzy

Quote from: MsJennJenn on February 08, 2013, 02:50:06 PM
Beef tips have brown gravy...

MsJennJenn

Quote from: The Purple Fuzzy on February 08, 2013, 04:04:42 PM
Beef tips have brown gravy...

That's different to me. lol
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

Melody

Quote from: The Purple Fuzzy on February 08, 2013, 02:23:13 PM
Tomato gravy just doesn't sound good. :eyebrow:

Maybe that's why she threw up!   :hypocrite:

Actually that sounds like tomato soup.  That's how you make it basically.  You can puree the tomatoes or not.

The Purple Fuzzy

Just read this on FB:  Please be in prayer for the Steve Willoughby family and their work in Singapore as Missionary Steve Willoughby passed from this life after many years of service on the Mission field.

Melody

I seen that too.  Our church has been praying for him for the last few yrs.  God has been doing such an awesome work there, it must have been time.  I think his son was just here a few months ago & we all prayed for/with him. 

I know it's awesome that they are finally free from the flesh, this old world, in perfect slumber until the dead in Christ are raised first to meet Him in the air... but it still is such a loss that's felt when he gave & did so much for the Lord. 

MelodyB

That's not why I threw up. That was because of all the coughing I do EVERY SINGLE MORNING. It gags me sometimes and I can't hold it. Plus I wasnt feeling all that great anyway.

Melody

Quote from: MelodyB on February 08, 2013, 05:23:18 PM
That's not why I threw up. That was because of all the coughing I do EVERY SINGLE MORNING. It gags me sometimes and I can't hold it. Plus I wasn't feeling all that great anyway.

I know you know that I know that.  :)  lol

The gravy starter I think is called a rue.  Not sure if I spelled that right.  It's also a starter of most thick soups.  Make a rue, add the liquid and everything else.  You can make a rue and add chicken stock.  From there you can add anything you want.  Butternut squash for that soup, tomatoes for that soup, roasted red peppers for that soup... ect.  You can sub out the rue for heavy cream but that's more expensive and fattening. 

My favorite gravy:  still bacon gravy.  Some sage and pepper and cream and I'm good.  lol

Lynx

"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

MelodyB

We used to make roux out of a lb of real butter and plain white flour.

Chseeads

Racist! 

:hypocrite:

:afro:

Went to work at Dollar Tree.

Then went down to the Christian school for chapel service.  Went down to the school building (from the church building) afterwards for the 1/2 cent tour and stood around talking to Angee, one of the teachers, for a long while.

Came home.

I need to shut up the fowl and such. 

Roscoe

:pound: :pound: Once more, I must stand in defense of chocolate gravy, aka the breakfast of God that all TRUE southern folk embrace. You Yankees ain't got no taste. :P

And in sharing- Lord, I am wore slap out. We have all of our tax refund back so I've been running around spending money like a drunken sailor. :biglaugh:
Even though we had it all planned out and knew what we were paying off and spending, it is still gut wrenching to spend a large sum after scrimping all year. Even when all I was doing was paying off bills. We have enough food for the next year, I believe, though. I bought in quantity and nearly had to make two trips to get home last night. :o
Then today I went by the butcher and ordered one of their meat boxes which will be near 100lbs of various meats for the freezer. I may be broke but this fat man ain't gonna miss a meal for a while. :fork:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Chseeads

MelodyB

Wow. What a day. I just spent 12 solid hours in our church kitchen. 9 cakes and about 200 cake pops made...we have the other 200 to finish tomorrow.

Tomorrow is also the mardi gras parade and we will be selling parking to. Also cold drinks and whatever extra cake pops we have after the orders are filled.

I'm going to bed. Too exhausted to even think straight.

Heather

Why in the world did I volunteer to work tomorrow?!?!? It's ok though. I can make up some of the time I missed yesterday plus I will be in the back where all I have to deal with is crazy animals and coworkers instead of the nutty animal owners. We had some CRAZIES in there today.
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

SippinTea

I hate to appear to be siding with southern people... *dramatic sigh* .... but tomato gravy is really yummy. ;) I'd never had it until I married Chris.

Quote from: MellowYellow on February 07, 2013, 03:12:20 PM
Ruby, how is little bean?  Thinking of yous today.  <3

Little Bean is apparently taking another giant growth spurt. Or muscle-growing spurt anyhow. *lol* I'm getting kicked ferociously hard now. So much so that it's honestly making me feel seasick.... horridly reminiscent of the first three months. :-\ But the midwife says that's actually a GOOD sign at this stage of pregnancy. Since now is when babies are putting on more muscle, she says it's actually a sign of a really healthy baby if I'm getting kicked that hard. She says it won't be so bad in a few weeks when baby is filling the space more, but for now, there's extra room to kick.  :updown:

Got to see an out-of-town friend today for a little while. Thanks to Obama's wonderful decisions (that was sarcasm, in case it wasn't obvious), she and her hubby are having to declare bankruptcy. *sigh* It makes me feel sick. They have 4 (small) kiddos, and will soon be living out of a small travel trailer. When people who are honestly trying to do things God's way, aren't being wasteful with money, and are trying to be good stewards of what God placed in their hands find it necessary to declare bankruptcy, there's a huge HUGE problem going on. 

Oh, and daddy is going to have a hip replacement surgery in two weeks. I don't like to see him have to go through surgery, but I'm really hoping it will mean he'll be getting around a whole lot better. It makes me hurt to watch him walk.

:beret:
"Going somewhere means leaving somewhere. Choosing something means choosing against other things. Gaining something means losing something else. And between the old and new--the 'was' and the 'not yet'--there exists only one thing: a very frightening journey called faith."
--taken from the book Coming Up For Air

Chseeads