Roscoe, Minnie and Newsman makes three, talk about the meetup in Sharing 453!

Started by Lynx, December 26, 2011, 06:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myhaloisintheshop

Mellow--you of all people should know how much of a difference there is in homemade and prepackaged stuff.   :P

Roscoe

Quote from: MellowYellow on December 28, 2011, 07:05:19 PM
Quote from: Roscoe on December 28, 2011, 07:01:18 PM
Quote from: MellowYellow on December 28, 2011, 06:56:59 PM
FYI: The Chocolate Gravy Experience will be this Saturday morning.  I'll be making homemade buttermilk biscuits so it can't be blamed on that.  I will take pictures and perhaps a video of the family trying it for the 1st time.
As long as you realize that what you have is prepackaged and might not be as good as "homegrown".... :lol:

And make sure to put a big ole lump of butter on the biscuits before pouring the gravy over it.......

you're already making excuses of why it may not be good?!  You're making me nervous.
:laughhard: Just emphasising that what you have may not be quite up to par with Mama's. It'll be good in any case- it's chocolate, after all. :thumbsup2:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Melody

Quote from: myhaloisintheshop on December 28, 2011, 07:08:09 PM
Mellow--you of all people should know how much of a difference there is in homemade and prepackaged stuff.   :P
I do, but alleged "nectar of God" should be above par either way.  :P

I was just checking out your recipe link.  On the comments someone said they get the same taste with chocolate pudding mix. 

I KNEW IT!   :laughhard:

myhaloisintheshop

Roscoe

Quote from: MellowYellow on December 28, 2011, 07:12:01 PM

I was just checking out your recipe link.  On the comments someone said they get the same taste with chocolate pudding mix. 

Probably a yankee that has no taste.. *sniff*
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Lynx

I submit instant chocolate pudding mix is NOT the same as homemade chocolate pudding and nowhere near the same as homemade chocolate gravy. 

Store bought chocolate pudding mix might be the same as instant chocolate pudding flavor though...
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

myhaloisintheshop

Quote from: Roscoe on December 28, 2011, 07:13:47 PM

No way....she's from 'Bama.  But in the comments there is another recipe that sounds a bit better from Nuclear Okie...lol   I may make THAT one instead!

myhaloisintheshop

Here is a new one--not chocolate tho!!

Peanut Butter Gravy

Sausage grease or bacon grease
Flour
Milk
Peanut butter
Salt and pepper

Brown flour in the sausage grease. Stir in 1 heaping tablespoon of peanut butter. Add milk as necessary to reach desired consistency. Salt and pepper to taste. This is great on toast, biscuits or hash browns.

Roscoe

Quote from: myhaloisintheshop on December 28, 2011, 07:13:11 PM
chocolate pudding....hmmm...that sounds interesting.   :hypocrite:
But in all seriousnesss- if you have any left over- rare at my house growing up- if you let it sit in the fridge for a few hours, it'll be the best chocolate pudding you ever had... :fork:
Quote from: myhaloisintheshop on December 28, 2011, 07:16:38 PM
Quote from: Roscoe on December 28, 2011, 07:13:47 PM

No way....she's from 'Bama.  But in the comments there is another recipe that sounds a bit better from Nuclear Okie...lol   I may make THAT one instead!
And I notice that they are pouring the gravy out of a teapot- if'n you can pour it like that, it ain't made right. That's thin chocolate syrup!
It should be the same consistancy that your basic sausage gravy is... And ain't no way that imposter that uses pudding mix can call the abomination she makes "Choclate Gravy". :nono:

myhaloisintheshop

yeah...the commenter that uses pudding mix has no clue!   I remember eating Chocolate gravy at the OK campgrounds and it was thicker than what this lady makes.    That's why Im going for another recipe in the comments.   

Melody

Quote from: Roscoe on December 28, 2011, 07:26:33 PMBut in all seriousnesss- if you have any left over- rare at my house growing up- if you let it sit in the fridge for a few hours, it'll be the best chocolate pudding you ever had... :fork:

So... I can basically go make pudding and before it cools to set, just pour it over biscuits. 

I knew it.  I just knew it.   All this fuss over chocolate pudding on bread.  A poor mans cupcake with chocolate frosting.   :P

The pictures are not the lady that used pudding. 

Roscoe

Quote from: MellowYellow on December 28, 2011, 07:30:34 PM
Quote from: Roscoe on December 28, 2011, 07:26:33 PMBut in all seriousnesss- if you have any left over- rare at my house growing up- if you let it sit in the fridge for a few hours, it'll be the best chocolate pudding you ever had... :fork:

So... I can basically go make pudding and before it cools to set, just pour it over biscuits. 

I knew it.  I just knew it.   All this fuss over chocolate pudding on bread.  A poor mans cupcake with chocolate frosting.   :P

The pictures are not the lady that used pudding.
Poor Healthy Meller Yeller.... Chocolate gravy undergoes a Miraclous change if allowed too, kinda like Jesus changing the water to wine.  :hypocrite:
Trust me, piping hot chocolate gravy over real buttermilk "cat head" biscuits with a thick glob of butter- not margarine- it's pure dee heaven.  :hypocrite:  :laughhard:

It IS kinda rich though. You healthy types may not be able to handle so much goodness at one sitting.  :hypocrite:

myhaloisintheshop

Now i gotta buy butter.   Mercy.  I just felt my cholesterol rise a bit!

Melody

Quote from: Roscoe on December 28, 2011, 07:36:30 PMPoor Healthy Meller Yeller.... It IS kinda rich though. You healthy types may not be able to handle so much goodness at one sitting.  :hypocrite:
Obviously you can...  :P

I'll just have to balance it out with some sausage fried potatoes littered with peppers and onions, some fruit & organic coffee.   :cool:

Roscoe

Quote from: MellowYellow on December 28, 2011, 07:41:13 PM
Quote from: Roscoe on December 28, 2011, 07:36:30 PMPoor Healthy Meller Yeller.... It IS kinda rich though. You healthy types may not be able to handle so much goodness at one sitting.  :hypocrite:
Obviously you can...  :P

I'll just have to balance it out with some sausage fried potatoes littered with peppers and onions, some fruit & organic coffee.
:lol: I was making plans for a road trip til you threw in that "fruit and organic coffe" bit. Healthy food scares me. :P

Melody

Roscoe, if healthy food scares you like chocolate gravy scares me and you're sure I'll convert, rest assured so would you.  Good organic food is so rich, all the other staples are barely or unneeded.

Roscoe

Quote from: MellowYellow on December 28, 2011, 07:47:32 PM
Roscoe, if healthy food scares you like chocolate gravy scares me and you're sure I'll convert, rest assured so would you.  Good organic food is so rich, all the other staples are barely or unneeded.
1) I ain't sure at all that you'll convert. Sometimes folks stay so comfortable in their rut, they nevr jump out.... :laughhard:
2) So far, all the organic stuff I've saw are veggies. NOT fer me. And alot of things are unneeded. Choclate for instance. But I ain't giving it up. Or my steak..Or my beloved Dr. Pepper.... :hypocrite:

Melody

Oh my goodness, have you ever had organic grass fed beef?  It practically MELTS in your mouth it is so divine. 

and organic chocolate covered coffee beans...  *nearly passes out in recollection*

Roscoe

Quote from: MellowYellow on December 28, 2011, 07:58:28 PM
Oh my goodness, have you ever had organic grass fed beef?  It practically MELTS in your mouth it is so divine. 

and organic chocolate covered coffee beans...  *nearly passes out in recollection*
Don't guess so....organic food scare our local cows too. They'de be afraid to eat "organic grass". :laughhard:

Melody

LOL.. They developed a tasted for pesticide saturated corn, huh?  Well, they must be in that rut to which you were referring.

I'm not that healthy, really.  We can rarely afford organic, but I do make as much from scratch as possible to minimize the grocery bill and unneccesary chemicals.  Some things though, I am still in a rut in.  Pepsi is my one weakness.   ;)

Roscoe

Quote from: MellowYellow on December 28, 2011, 08:06:27 PM
LOL.. They developed a tasted for pesticide saturated corn, huh?  Well, they must be in that rut to which you were referring.

I'm not that healthy, really.  We can rarely afford organic, but I do make as much from scratch as possible to minimize the grocery bill and unneccesary chemicals.  Some things though, I am still in a rut in.  Pepsi is my one weakness.   ;)
Glory! There might be hope for you yet.... :clap:
And I was surprised to discover that "organic" apparently means "expensive" around here. I wish we were in a position for Lou to be a stay at home mom- I'm sure we would eat more healthy to a degree. With both of us working, though, the temptation to grab something quick and easy is strong.

Lynx

Quote from: Roscoe on December 28, 2011, 08:10:50 PM
With both of us working, though, the temptation to grab something quick and easy is strong.
As I am at this moment munching on a chicken and biscuit from a local fast food factory, I cannot say anything.   :smirk2:
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

chelleebelle

Quote from: myhaloisintheshop on December 28, 2011, 07:30:09 PM
I remember eating Chocolate gravy at the OK campgrounds and it was thicker than what this lady makes.    That's why Im going for another recipe in the comments.   

That's a bit of heaven right there!