News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

Why Did or Do You Want To Get Married?

Started by Chseeads, April 08, 2008, 10:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaybee

Quote from: Chseeads on April 11, 2008, 09:22:02 PM
How come it's so hard for anybody to answer that....  Apparently nobody knows why they do it...LOL

Maybe there is no simple answer . . .

Life is full of the unexplained.:smirk2:

"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forward."

- Kierkegaard

Chseeads

That's just it...I don't want a simple answer.  I want all the complicated ones.  LOL

B

Quote from: Chseeads on April 11, 2008, 09:22:02 PM
Quote from: GlassDarkly on April 11, 2008, 09:16:57 PM

I'm pretty sure God says it's a part of life. :eyebrow: Obviously, there are exceptions, but for most of us it's a part of life. :teeth:

B

Why?

Why did God create us with two legs and two arms? Why did He make some of us left-handed, some of us right-handed, and still others ambidextrous? Why did He create us to require food and water to survive?

We could sit here and ask each other why as long as we want. :teeth: I can't tell you why God made us with the innate desire to find someone to spend the rest of our lives with. I just know He did. You might have better luck asking Him. *grin*

B

Amelia Bedelia

God created Eve for Adam

From the beginning man hasn't been alone and has had a companion, a helper, supporter, "other half", helpmeet, wife - it is the natural order
the circle of life - yeah some might choose not to get married... but they should be thankful and supportive of those that do decide to go the family route and continue on generations - sure we could pop out babies without marriage but thats detrimental to society as we see plenty of evidence these days  :smirk2:

man and woman become as one... two puzzle pieces or halves coming together to make one whole - a marriage unit
sure you can live just fine on your own... but you are missing out on that wholeness and balance - yin and yang or whatever you wanna call it

so much is based on marriage... we're the bride of Christ, its not complete until then, we're living for that moment and happily ever after with him, regardless of how fulfilled a life you might get to experience before that... its still not comparable to whats after the I Dos

there are problems in marriages, there are people that get married for the wrong reasons, everybody's had a broken heart and crushed dreams
but that doesn't mean the idea and institution of marriage is to blame - its not cultural or society, please, society is trying to get rid of traditional God-designed marriage!

Now, don't get me started on love, vulnerability, jealousy, broken hearts, trust etc. and all the things that make us want to be bitter about marriage and the idea of togetherness LOL

upcchris

You know what, sometimes I ask myself the same question, why,when at times there's alot of heartache involved, do people get married...and to that point why do prenups exist if marriage is so great...but prenups and contention are man-based and marriage, at risk of sounding repetitive, was God-ordained.

People get married because they sense a part of themselves in the other that's calling out to them. The other half to their whole. 'The other half' is called that for a reason. Not to say that it's not ok to stay single if you want, yes we were created to not be alone, but sometimes, ministry-wise it's easier to serve God when you're single...but if your singleness is distracting you for heavens sake get married already...however you can better serve God. Seek His will for your life, if He's ok with you staying single, so be it, but if He wants you to get married...He'll bring you through the tough times...if you only rely on yourself and or the other person in a relationship, of course you're going to get hurt, but giving up your pride and relying totally on Him...yes the bad times will come, but He.Will.Bing.You.Through.

(And this is totally wrecking my self-proclaimed confidence in singledom)

Anyway that's my 5c, you can take it however you want...I may not b speaking from experience, but what I know to be true...personally I feel that God wants me to be married...I've had Him speak through different people that He will provide me a husband. And I want what God wants for my life, because when God's will works in your life....life is good!
Television is proof the people will look at anything rather than eachother

Life would be so much easier without hormones

Of all God's creations, humans are the only ones with enough imagination to be bored

Humans are fallible, and they unreasonably expect everyone else not to be

Tina~Chris

MelodyB

Quote from: upcchris on April 12, 2008, 12:42:42 PM
You know what, sometimes I ask myself the same question, why,when at times there's alot of heartache involved, do people get married...and to that point why do prenups exist if marriage is so great...but prenups and contention are man-based and marriage, at risk of sounding repetitive, was God-ordained.

People get married because they sense a part of themselves in the other that's calling out to them. The other half to their whole. 'The other half' is called that for a reason. Not to say that it's not ok to stay single if you want, yes we were created to not be alone, but sometimes, ministry-wise it's easier to serve God when you're single...but if your singleness is distracting you for heavens sake get married already...however you can better serve God. Seek His will for your life, if He's ok with you staying single, so be it, but if He wants you to get married...He'll bring you through the tough times...if you only rely on yourself and or the other person in a relationship, of course you're going to get hurt, but giving up your pride and relying totally on Him...yes the bad times will come, but He.Will.Bing.You.Through.

(And this is totally wrecking my self-proclaimed confidence in singledom)

Anyway that's my 5c, you can take it however you want...I may not b speaking from experience, but what I know to be true...personally I feel that God wants me to be married...I've had Him speak through different people that He will provide me a husband. And I want what God wants for my life, because when God's will works in your life....life is good!

THAT was an awesome post. I really liked and agreed with the part that I placed in bold.
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Scott

Quote from: Chseeads on April 11, 2008, 08:55:34 PM
Quote from: Scott on April 11, 2008, 08:43:57 PMSeth,

Are you trying to run and audit on why people get married?

Bro, it is part of life.

Yes, in fact I am.  :P

Who says it's part of life?  It's a choice as to whether it is or not.

I guess nobody else thinks about it like I do.  :smirk2:

Yes it is a choice, if you don't want to get married, DON'T!  *shrug*
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Brother Dad

Quote from: MelodyB on April 09, 2008, 02:03:47 AM
Lots of things change your mind about stuff. Broken hearts and hurt feelings is one key factor to making people change their minds.  
Broken hearts, hurt feelings can not stop true love from coming.  More later
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Brother Dad

Quote from: GlassDarkly on April 09, 2008, 03:40:28 AM
Quote from: SippinTea on April 09, 2008, 03:31:43 AM
It would be so much more convenient to _not_ be created this way.

If this is what God Himself longs for, created entire universes for, and even died for.... don't you think this is worth whatever inconveniences it might temporarily put in front of us? *grin*

B
This is some of the best insight I have seen yet.  God knew man should not be alone.  So He gave Eve unto Adam.  A help meet.  More later, still reading
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Brother Dad

When I decided to get married to Sis Mom many people ask me why.  First off I was married 28 years to my first wife who passed away.  It was a wonderful life.  I had made the decision and also told God I would rather stay single before I would settle for any less of a woman.  To my surprise God allowed me on December 27, 2007 to be introduce to the GREATEST woman alive, Sis Mom.  As Sis Mom and I began to talk I found a woman that shared my conviction, my love for God and my desire to work for God.  I found a woman that was all I could ever hope for and more.  It was not a question of why would I marry her but why would I not want to marry such an awesome person.  I feel that God had this all planned out and all I had to do was chose to following Him. 

To maybe answer Seth's question let me try to put it like this.  I feel God brought Sis Mom and I together so they we may better serve His kingdom.  Sure there is a side of flesh but that is the way God made us.  At our age our thoughts were not get married and start a family.  But our desire was get married to spend time together and to work for God together.  I did not need a Mom for my children as they are all grown,  However Sis Mom is an awesome Mom to them and a great Ne-nee to our grandkids.  We get married in Christ when we follow Him and He leads us to the right one.  If I were to have put an ad in a newspaper for a wife, Sis Mom would have meet all the requirements.  My daughter said Sis Mom is everything she prayed God would send me.  So I am married because God loved me enough to send me Sis Mom.

MelodyB

EricShane

Quote from: Chseeads on April 11, 2008, 09:03:27 PM
Re: Why Did or Do You Want To Get Married?
Because you get more back on your Tax Refund...

:hypocrite:
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

myhaloisintheshop

and....you get more if you have kids!

LOL

LeahMarie

Dance Like Nobody\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Watching, Love Like You\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

SippinTea

Because it's nice to have someone to chat with.
Because hugs are good.
Because everything is more fun with two.
Because I like cooking dinner for someone besides myself.
Because I'm missing the logical half of my brain.

And... because I need someone else to kill the spiders. :updown:

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

shoecrazy

I'm not too philosophical so I'll keep it simple.  For me, I think the one of the reasons why is because it seems like we live in a couples world.  It seems like almost everything you do there is couples every where just screaming the reminder that hey your single.  I am sure I notice this a little more due to the fact that I'm an only child and the friends that I'm closest to are married.  However it gets tiresome doing things as a single.  I know this probably isn't a good reason to why I want to get married, but it isn't the only one either.  The need to feel loved, cherished, adored, to share my life with.  Someone to talk to, shop with...lol, share my deepest feelings with, laugh with, be myself with.  All of these and more are my reasons why.

I've also enjoyed reading and relating to everyone else's thoughts.  Nice to know I'm not alone.
~Jennifer~

upcchris

Quote from: SippinTea on April 13, 2008, 12:26:48 AM

BOL, Amen and Amen!
Television is proof the people will look at anything rather than eachother

Life would be so much easier without hormones

Of all God's creations, humans are the only ones with enough imagination to be bored

Humans are fallible, and they unreasonably expect everyone else not to be

Tina~Chris

Brother Dad

Quote from: shoecrazy on April 13, 2008, 03:11:09 AM
I'm not too philosophical so I'll keep it simple.  For me, I think the one of the reasons why is because it seems like we live in a couples world.  It seems like almost everything you do there is couples every where just screaming the reminder that hey your single.  I am sure I notice this a little more due to the fact that I'm an only child and the friends that I'm closest to are married.  However it gets tiresome doing things as a single.  I know this probably isn't a good reason to why I want to get married, but it isn't the only one either.  The need to feel loved, cherished, adored, to share my life with.  Someone to talk to, shop with...lol, share my deepest feelings with, laugh with, be myself with.  All of these and more are my reasons why.

I've also enjoyed reading and relating to everyone else's thoughts.  Nice to know I'm not alone.
I do not want to sound as if I am trying to correct here, but I fell I don't want to be like everyone else.  When Sis Mom and I met someone told her "good you needed someone in your life".  Her response was no not just someone but the right one.  I would say never get married because you are lonely.  Never get married because everyone thinks you should.  But get married because you know God has joined you together.  And trust me when God brings that right person in your life you will know it.

Backseat Radio

Quote from: SippinTea on April 13, 2008, 12:26:48 AM

that works until they're terrified of spiders like the guys I worked with were.

shoecrazy

Quote from: Brother Dad on April 13, 2008, 12:23:57 PM
I do not want to sound as if I am trying to correct here, but I fell I don't want to be like everyone else.  When Sis Mom and I met someone told her "good you needed someone in your life".  Her response was no not just someone but the right one.  I would say never get married because you are lonely.  Never get married because everyone thinks you should.  But get married because you know God has joined you together.  And trust me when God brings that right person in your life you will know it.

I guess I should have clarified my statement.  I am waiting for the right one.  I don't want just anybody who comes along.  I want the one God has intended for me to marry.  I definitely want to seek after and follow God's Will in this aspect of my life.  I do not want to rush it just to have somebody.  In the mean time though, I plan to live life to the fullest and enjoy every moment.  It's the waiting that's the hard part. 
~Jennifer~

MelodyB

SippinTea

And trust me when God brings that right person in your life you will know it.

I really, really hope you're right on that one.

MelodyB

Quote from: SippinTea on April 13, 2008, 01:55:07 PM

Yeah, that too.

sunlight

yeah, that three.
Quote from: MelodyB on April 13, 2008, 01:56:20 PM
Quote from: SippinTea on April 13, 2008, 01:55:07 PM

Yeah, that too.
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

SippinTea

Okay, I'm going to be brave and post, because I'd really like to hear your thoughts, Bro Dad.

(I'll just hope Sir John doesn't wander into the marrieds' area, or I'm likely to end up as shark bait in an investigation.) ;)

Once upon a time, I thought I knew who the right one was. It seemed like a God-thing. I really did love him, and was envisioning the happily-ever-after scenario... but then some things became apparent in his life that I knew I couldn't live with. I wasn't hoping for (or even wanting) someone perfect, but there are certain character issues and spiritual issues that I know would be a disaster-in-the-making when you're talking about a marriage relationship. I kept hoping something would change. It did. They got worse. And I stepped out of the relationship.

Sooo... my question is this: If I fooled myself into thinking someone was the right one in the past...what's to say I couldn't make the same mistake again? Only with much more disastrous results, if I didn't see it in time?

Ruby