News:

The staff of Godplace.com welcomes you to our little house of fun. If you have a spiritual need, feel free to  contact any staff member.

Main Menu

Ask someone normal.. makes more sense

Started by Legendary_roxy_girL, November 12, 2007, 07:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rootbeer

About this normal thing, I never really wanted to be normal, so what advice do you have for me?
About art, I am an artist only in the sense that I see music as an art, not a science; however, most contemporary attempts at musical expression leave me underwhelmed.
If someone is a serious musician, then I see the musical life as an inseparable part of the whole life; as a pianist, playing the piano is not just something that I do, it's an extension, or a part of what I am.  Would you accept that statement as valid, or does that fall outside the realm of normal?
The name of the Lord is a strong tower.

Legendary_roxy_girL

Quote from: rootbeer on November 13, 2007, 12:18:34 AM
About this normal thing, I never really wanted to be normal, so what advice do you have for me?
About art, I am an artist only in the sense that I see music as an art, not a science; however, most contemporary attempts at musical expression leave me underwhelmed.
If someone is a serious musician, then I see the musical life as an inseparable part of the whole life; as a pianist, playing the piano is not just something that I do, it's an extension, or a part of what I am.  Would you accept that statement as valid, or does that fall outside the realm of normal?
you don't count.

...haha yeah I would have to agree with you. Only one that explained that well :thumbsup:
KayV Blog" style="border:0

<!-- SpringWidgets | RSS Reader (#23) | HTML | Generated on 07/21/2008 --><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowNetworking="all" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" height="336" width="400" id="springwidgets_23" align="middle" data=

rootbeer

You mean you only want to advise normal people?  I really don't think you will find very many of them around here.  Scott might have once been normal, but he's not now.

Legendary_roxy_girL

No, this was meant to ask me--normal. That was the point.. :\

<!-- SpringWidgets | RSS Reader (#23) | HTML | Generated on 07/21/2008 --><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowNetworking="all" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" height="336" width="400" id="springwidgets_23" align="middle" data=

Melody

I'm hispanic/white and there are some people on here that are black, mulatto, ect.

alohilani

*grin* Brannon only likes hot stuff, y'all. Be sure to keep that in mind. ;) ;)

Now for a question...

New Roxy Girl, is it ok if I welcome you to GP in your normal person thread?

B

I didn't say I only like hot stuff. ;) :P lol

B

alohilani

Ok, so you really like hot stuff.

Better? *grin*

B

Legendary_roxy_girL

haha, you can welcom me anywhere. I prefer a message spray painted on a small hill, like hollywood or something around those lines.. but I guess here is fine too :shrug:

alohilani

Yeah, see, I was working on that Hollywood hill thing, but my sparkly gold spray paint is all dried out, and anything less than sparkly and gold would just be tacky. ;)

Legendary_roxy_girL

well its the thought that counts, i suppose...

alohilani

Anything for a legend, my dear! ;) Again, welcome.. It'll be a blast. *grin*

Legendary_roxy_girL

rootbeer

I have an ancestor that was once a Cherokee chief, but he wasn't really Cherokee, his wife was, and my wife's ancestors were Cherokee, so are we related or not?
We also both have Irish ancestors.

kkay

Hm..re: the whole "hot stuff is for hispanics"..don't some asians eat a lot of spicy food? I can't remember what kind..ehhh..thai food, maybe? I'm white and I like spicy food. I guess racist stuff just gets to me a little too much, maybe..even though it may be a joke :smirk2:

Newsman

Thai can be quite spicy, if I recall correctly and Indian (as in the sub-continent,) can have food that's spicy, as well.

John

kkay

Legendary_roxy_girL

Quote from: apostolic_girl04 on November 13, 2007, 05:03:06 PM
Hm..re: the whole "hot stuff is for hispanics"..don't some asians eat a lot of spicy food? I can't remember what kind..ehhh..thai food, maybe? I'm white and I like spicy food. I guess racist stuff just gets to me a little too much, maybe..even though it may be a joke :smirk2:

Yeah, it was just something I thought I would say. Thought it was funny. Im actually Hispanic,Irish, German, and Indian. And I hate spicy food, completely. All about the sweetness! haha

Anywho, Rootbeer...

Of course your related, we all are God's children. And came from adam and eve somehow.

kkay

Understandable. You didn't realize some are ultra sensitive to certain topics. No biggie.

B

Quote from: apostolic_girl04 on November 13, 2007, 05:03:06 PM
I guess racist stuff just gets to me a little too much, maybe..even though it may be a joke :smirk2:

I don't see any racist remarks in this thread. We can't talk about different cultures, anymore? :smirk2:

B

kkay

Certain things may not appear as you think they do to everyone. Simple remarks such as "aren't spicy foods for hispanics?" can be seen as racist in some way or another.

As I said, certain ones are ultra sensitive to remarks like that. Once again, no biggie.

B

*shrugs* imho racism is a negative thing. I'm guess I'm just not understanding how "aren't spicy foods for hispanics?" has any negative connotations. Now, I will agree wholeheartedly that it's a generalization. lol Anyways, like you said, no biggie. :teeth:

B

kkay

Maybe racism isn't the correct word to use then. It just erks me when people assume things about other cultures. It's like saying "aren't blacks supposed to like chicken?"

Melody

there are generalities otherwise there would be no such thing as culture in the first place.  Certain things are more likely to be present in specific genre's.  While it's not a rule, it's not racist to make a general benign statement (meaning it doesn't degrade that culture) that is quite possible because of the consistant culture present.  Hispanics do in fact have a lot of spicy recipes.  A lot of them eat them regularly and from the time they are very little.  Making them not only used to the flavors but like them.  That's not racist, and it doesn't automatically assume that there are not other cultures as well that have similiar practices.  But it loses it's point if we get into a conversation about EVERY culture that enjoys spicy food when the party that is communicating back is Hispanic. 

Does that make sense?  Before offense comes, we have to try and look from it abstractly, otherwise we may simply be choosing to be offended because of some other reason in our lives/day.