News:

You can reach your profile and change its settings here.

Main Menu

So Mini Met Roscoe...(pictures galore warning)

Started by mini, June 10, 2011, 11:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mini

DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

The Purple Fuzzy

mini

DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Chseeads

mini

Nope...from wikipedia:

Sir Tow Mater or better known as Mater is the deuteragonist in the 2006 animated Pixar film Cars and the main protagonist in its sequel. He is voiced by Larry the Cable Guy, and was inspired by a 1951 International Harvester[1][2] tow truck but bears more of a resemblance to a 1955–57 Chevrolet or GMC; the actual inspiration may be the 1955–56 version since the hood which Mater recovers at the end of the film after a twenty-year absence lacks the "gunsights" of the 1957 model. Originally portrayed as a sidekick and friend to the film's main protagonist, Lightning McQueen, the popularity of the character eventually made him the central character in Cars spin-off media like the Cars Toons series, the Mater and the Ghostlight short and the Cars Mater-National video game, and one of the two central characters in the film Cars 2. He also appears as the main deuteragonist in other media related to Cars.

In 55 they changed the body style.  Mine is a 52 Chevy 3100.  So other than the lack of paint, Tow Mater and Sam have little in common.

Ill post more later, I'm pretty tired tonight.

Chseeads

That's pretty much the only thing I was going for there, picky puss.

:roll:

mini

Welcome one, welcome all...

Here begins a LONG post about Roscoes latest "Lets see how much trouble I can get Mini into" adventure.  About a year ago, Roscoe typed this out about a old truck he use to own.

When I was a lad of around 12, there was a farmer, named Sam, who lived just down the road. I helped around the farm some (my Dad worked for him). The old man had some really cool old trucks around -- a couple of '40's and '50's Fords and the beautiful old AD Chevys. He had a 1950, a 1952, and a 1949 "Big Bolt." His favorite was a 1952 3100. I remember riding around the farm in the old truck and me and Daddy taking it to get feed for the cows.

I tried many times to talk the old man into selling that truck to Dad (he tried too), but the answer was always the same. Sam (the farmer) would look at me, mentally calculate how much money a poor little country boy could come up with, then double the figure and name it as his price. This way, he knew I couldn't buy the old truck and he could tell the missus (who didn't particularly care for the old trucks) that he'd offered to sell it but "the kid didn't have the money." Crafty old goat.

Fast forward about 20 years, and suddenly, I'm a thirty + year old cop with a wife, mortgage, small child, - and still have a hunger and obsession with Advanced Design Chevrolets. I get a call from my Dispatcher telling me I need to respond to a minor accident. When I arrive, it's my old friend Sam, driving a new Toyota.

After doing the required paperwork, I casually ask about the old trucks. He tells me he's still got all of them. His wife, who has walked over and heard the conversation, smiles at me, and while Sam's looking over the damage to the Toyota, tells me I've been talking to the wrong person about the trucks, and not to give up. I'd be able to buy one yet.

About a month later, I sold my '84 Corvette project because I could see that it wasn't filling in the hole in my heart for an old pickup. As the man drove off in the 'Vette, I told my Dad that I was going to go buy me another project. When I told him the one I had in mind, he just laughed.

Dad said "Son, that old man won't part with that." But he agreed to ride along with me and watch me try. I'd driven by the farm two or three times that week and saw the object of my desire -- the '52 -- parked next to the house. When I pulled up this time, it was gone! I saw Sam working down in the field, so I drove back and asked him about the truck. He told me it was parked back behind the barn because his wife didn't think it needed to be by the house.

As usual, I asked if he'd sell it, and, as usual, he smiled and told me I wouldn't give what he'd have to have for it. I told him to try me. He scratched his head, spit, and said "I'd hafta to have a $1,000 for it." (This was said as if it were all the money in the world.) I asked if I could look at the old truck up close and he told me sure.

We walked over to look at the truck. As Dad talked with Sam, I gave it a critical going over. Father Time hadn't been any kinder to my old friend than he had me, but under the surface rust and cow dents, the old truck seemed fairly solid. I reached in the cab and twisted the key. The little 6 banger fired off like it'd been run five minutes earlier, not the two weeks Sam told me it had been since he moved it. I was sold.

Sam told me the brakes didn't work, but everything else did. I asked him if he'd take $800, acting as if that's all I had. I could see the old gentleman's smile trying to come out as he rubbed his chin, allowing as  how he just couldn't do that. You could almost hear the words in his mind, "I still get to keep it!"

He returned to conversation with Dad while I looked around some more. Finally, I told him, "Well, I guess I'll just have to give you your price." I pulled $1,000 and Sam nearly swallowed his chew. He stammered around a bit, then told me, "Bobby, I don't want you to be unhappy. I don't have to sell this old truck." I assured him I wanted the truck and reminded him that I'd tried to buy it for 20 years.

He shook my hand and said "It's yours then." I think I saw a tear as he walked away to move one of the other trucks so I could get out with my new toy. As I pulled through the gate, I discovered he wasn't kidding at all about the brakes. I asked him how long it had been since the brake fluid was checked and he told me, "Son, It ain't had brakes in 10 years. If I needed to stop, I just hit something."

After driving it home six miles without brakes, I found a tiebolt had broken on a front spring. Dad and I replaced the springs, entire brake system and changed the oil. I painted the wheels red, painted whitewalls on a used set of tires I had laying around the house, and drove it several times.  Since I'm an oddball that names my vehicles, it was named "Sam" in honor of the old man that fought to keep him for so long.

At first glance, I just read it, liked the story, and thought that would be fun to do some day.

Then along came a now (in)famous meeting of the minds in Arkansas in June 2011.  We on this board have already heard of the fame of Roscoes truck, Rusty.  Up until that day, I had always thought of a classic truck as one that was in mint condition, perfect, and drove only on sunny days down paved roads.  But a day with Rusty got me to hankering for a truck that I could drive slow, down gravel roads, around town, and whenever I wanted.

Sadly, any classic iron was out of my budget.   :cry:

In August this year, Roscoe got a visit from Sams owner.  He wanted to sell Sam.  If he didnt sell Sam, he said, he was going to take him to visit the crusher.  Roscoe said "DONT CRUSH HIM!  I WANT HIM!" and thus saved Sam's life.  Then he called me (which may have killed Sam :ugly: ).  I already knew a little about Sam, and when Roscoe told me how much the price was, I said yes!

Roscoe and I have probably extanged hundreds of texts, PM's and calls about Sam since that initial conversation.  Let me say this too:  I was buying a 59 year old truck, sight unseen.  Roscoe did his absolute best to represent everything about Sam in honesty and clarity.  I wont lie, Sam needs a lot of work, but Sam will be a driver first and foremost, not a show truck (unless God chooses to bless me with more money than brains).  :ugly:

Now, I know Sam is not perfect (fine Seth, he shares the same paint scheme as Tow-Mater), but hes gonna be a blast to drive!

On to yesterday...

mini

I knew the first hurdle in getting Sam back to Oklahoma was finding a way to haul him.  After talking it over with Pa, he said I could use his truck and trailer.  Then he called last week and said that he was taking the day off, and finally, after much discussion, we decided to leave about 6:00 AM.  Its 3 1/2 hours to Roscoes house, so we figured that would put us there at a good time.

Thursday evening Pa told me he would see me at 6 or "Whenever I get around."  Knowing Pa, I said, "Well, ill see you at 5:30 then."  Sure enough, he showed up bright and early.

We started out and it was foggy as all get out.  We finally pulled over at Walmart for a bit so we could let the sun get above the horizion and then get back on the road. 

Chelleebelle was excited...lol

We finally pulled into Roscoes home town around 10.  The fog had slowed us down (and the bathroom breaks).  We met with Roscoe at wallyworld, said hi to LouLou, and went to Petit Jean.

Roscoe hotrodding his caddy...LOL

Kiddos look enthused...

Kiddos would up and the enthusiasm has spread to Pa..LOL

As soon as we park, this is the first thing I saw:

Roscoe had texted me about it earlier.  Beautiful 52 chevy...bet that guy has more in that truck than I have in my HOUSE!

Later on, as we was walking around the swap meet, we saw this:

It fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down...LOL

The fall swap meet/car show is all about military stuff.  We found a ride for Roscoe:

As you can see, it would fit him well:

Brennen found him a few guns...

A mother-in-law seat on a Willys:

Pa found him a car.  Only $22500!  Ma said (via text) "No way!  Wrong color."  LOL

Then back down from the mountian, and we stopped by Bro. Papa's BBQ stand:

Pa and Roscoe enjoying the holy smoke:

Sis Papa serving up a BBQ frito pie....man oh man thats some good BBQ.

Roscoe, Bro Papa, Pa and my son all enjoying a visit:

More later as I meet Sam for the fist time...

But one last parting shot:

Chelleebelle got to drive Sam first!!!

:ugly:

Roscoe

Quote from: minnesota68 on September 24, 2011, 01:41:30 PM
Welcome one, welcome all...

Here begins a LONG post about Roscoes latest "Lets see how much trouble I can get Mini into" adventure.  .

He ain't seen nothin' yet... :freaky2: Wait until he's neck deep into redoing him and comes to a car show.... Mini's got the second most addictive personality I've met when it comes to cars, mine being the first.  :lol: He was a pushover to sway.... :laughhard: And now I've got someone else to blame my obsession with swap meets on- " But Lou, Jeremy needs me to look for..." :laughhard:

I had a great time, except for when Lou's Caddy backslid on us and caused me to worry about Lou suddenly owning the Miata while my shop acquired a new piece of furniture in the form of a Caddy. God was good though, and it was a simple fix, for a simple mind. ;)

Sam got a new home, Bro Papa got to meet Pa Miniskirt, and meet Mini and family once again, and most importantly, Mini brought me two ice chests of Mexican Coke (Coca-cola, don't lose your minds) and glass botteled real sugar Dr. Pepper. :fork:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

mini

Ok, a few more pictures.

After eating BBQ, then going back to pick up Pa's truck, it was off to Roscoes house to finally meet Sam.

Funny story, when we turned down the road to Roscoes house, a small dog, possibly a Chihuahua (sp?) ran out in the road and would not move.  The dog was probably 3 pounds tops...Chellebelle had to get out, pick it up, and go to the side of the road.  Then, as she walked the last 100 feet to Roscoes, 2 more neighborhood dogs joined her.  She looked like Ellie Mae Clampett.  LOL

Then, I met Sam...

Please note the Kawasaki Green on the engine.  LOL

I am very happy!

Loading Sam on the trailer.  Of course, Chellebelle got first drive! 

Roscoe looking at Sam...

My first chevy.  And first truck.  And first classic.

Im still very excited...

Roscoe waving good bye to Sam... *sniff*

Once we hit I-40 back home...LOL

Driving home with Sam was one of the funniest things ever.  People were passing us, giving us the thumbs up, waving, grinning.  They sure like that old truck.

Im thinking about starting a page with pics and such of Sam as I get him running.  Anyone interested in seeing a thread like that?

Lynx

I have no interest in ME doing mechanic work (you wouldn't want me working on your car... computer maybe, but never the car) but I'd be interested if you feel like doing a "Restoring Sam" thread.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

The Purple Fuzzy

okieoliveoyl

Well...lookie there...that would be my Pa and some of the family i claim up there! :)
Gods Promise: "This to shall pass"  not "and it came to stay"

Roscoe

Quote from: okieoliveoyl on September 28, 2011, 03:52:54 PM
Well...lookie there...that would be my Pa and some of the family i claim up there! :)
Oh, and Okie---- Thanks for talking him out of bringing all ones to pay for Sam! :laughhard:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

myhaloisintheshop

I was telling ol Cletus about Rusty and now Sam  and guess what we are now in the market for.....yep....an old truck or car to restore.   He got a raise at work and needs a hobby to keep him and the boys out of trouble.   

I need to learn to keep my trap closed about this stuff.  LOL  Cletus gets the itch too easy!

okieoliveoyl

Quote from: Roscoe on September 28, 2011, 04:43:03 PM
Quote from: okieoliveoyl on September 28, 2011, 03:52:54 PM
Oh, and Okie---- Thanks for talking him out of bringing all ones to pay for Sam! :laughhard:

Ones would have been better than quarters. HAHAHA!   I don't know what he actually brought but i did advise that 5's and 1's might be better. :)
Gods Promise: "This to shall pass"  not "and it came to stay"

mini

I still think paying for Sam in $1 bills would have been the way to go... :ugly:

For those of you interested:

http://mission238.com/forum/index.php?topic=32435.0

Sarba, tell Cletus he needs to get on here!  We need to make fun of his pink cammo and yeller tractors...

taco_harvell

The one he is looking at seem to intimidate him, maybe the jeep by his leg or the one behind him is more his size.  :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard:
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

mini

I have heard a rumor that there will be another Mini meets (or terrorizes) Roscoe coming soon... :)

Lynx

"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Roscoe

Quote from: minnesota68 on June 06, 2012, 01:13:16 PM
I have heard a rumor that there will be another Mini meets (or terrorizes) Roscoe coming soon... :)
Well,it IS carshow /swap meet time again....time for bbq,car parts, and great fellowship. Stands to reason that there would be something to put a blemish on my happiness. :laughhard:
After all, "into every life a little rain must fall." :P

I shall endeavor to influence Mini to drag home yet more un-needed items, and thus ensure that I am not the only one in the martial dogohouse the following week.... :freaky2:

Melody

Sounds exciting!   Take pictures!  I think it would be funny if you got your wives' pictures in reaction as well...

mini

Quote from: Roscoe on June 06, 2012, 04:15:46 PM
Quote from: minnesota68 on June 06, 2012, 01:13:16 PM
Well,it IS carshow /swap meet time again....time for bbq,car parts, and great fellowship. Stands to reason that there would be something to put a blemish on my happiness. :laughhard:
After all, "into every life a little rain must fall." :P

I shall endeavor to influence Mini to drag home yet more un-needed items, and thus ensure that I am not the only one in the martial dogohouse the following week.... :freaky2:

I will not be taking home unneeded items...I may be taking items home that I shouldnt be buying though... :)