News:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Ask Michael K!

Started by Scott, November 29, 2007, 12:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

Quote from: M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ on November 29, 2007, 01:03:27 AM
Quote from: Scott on November 29, 2007, 12:52:23 AM
I read a book recently that had an Air Force Pilot who was a CWO - obviously the author did not do the research he claimed to have done... 
Depends on the time period of the book.  The AF had warrant officers in the past, but not anymore.  The AF is the only branch of the military without warrant officers now.  The AF discontinued the warrant officer ranks in 1959, although, those holding the rank at that time were permitted to keep it until they were either promoted to the officer ranks or left the service.  So, there were warrant officers around in the AF well into the sixties.

Thank you

I am tempted to write this author and give it to him. He seems a bit smug
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

kade

i got ya back scott...mike u got his back :P
Sunday best and broken glass

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: Scott on November 29, 2007, 11:43:15 PM
Quote from: M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ on November 29, 2007, 01:03:27 AM
Quote from: Scott on November 29, 2007, 12:52:23 AM
I read a book recently that had an Air Force Pilot who was a CWO - obviously the author did not do the research he claimed to have done... 
Depends on the time period of the book.  The AF had warrant officers in the past, but not anymore.  The AF is the only branch of the military without warrant officers now.  The AF discontinued the warrant officer ranks in 1959, although, those holding the rank at that time were permitted to keep it until they were either promoted to the officer ranks or left the service.  So, there were warrant officers around in the AF well into the sixties.

Thank you

I am tempted to write this author and give it to him. He seems a bit smug
Also, just as a bit of info for you, CWO is not a rank abbreviation in any of the services. I know author meant it to stand for  Chief Warrant Officer, but none of the U.S. services use CWO as an abbreviation.  WO1 (Warrant Officer 1), CW2 (Chief Warrant Officer 2), CW3, CW4, and CW5 are the abbreviations used.  Since there are several Warrant Officer ranks, they distinguish the difference among them by putting the number on the end of the abbreviation.  I've worked with Warrant Officers from both the Navy and the Army several times, so while there are none in the AF, I am fairly familiar with the ranks.   For the Army at least, they are very big on using only 3 letter abbreviations for all ranks, for example, a Staff Sergeant in the AF is SSgt, but in the Army it's SSG, so they wouldn't even include the "O" for their Chief Warrant Officers.

It sounds to me as if the author wasn't just a little off with his CWO in the AF, he was way off because he couldn't even get the abbreviation correct.
Move along, nothing to see here.

Scott

QuoteIt sounds to me as if the author wasn't just a little off with his CWO in the AF, he was way off because he couldn't even get the abbreviation correct

I tend to agree.

I also remember an article from the First Gulf War the reporter mentioned a fighter pilot in a Wart hog that was CWO so and so.

I want to find that article *snickers* I am going to have some fun *rubs hands together* *evil laugh*
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Arctic Rose

Can you name one thing you love the most about Arctic Rose?

LOL

I am not Spoiled.... Just well Loved!

jdcord

Michael,

- Who let the dogs out?

- Who can make the sun rise?  And sprinkle it with dew?

- What is the answer to life, the universe, and everything?

- Do you know the Muffin Man?

:P

Wanda:   Two wrongs don't make a right.
Cosmo:   But three rights make a left,...

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: Arctic Rose on November 30, 2007, 06:10:22 AM
Can you name one thing you love the most about Arctic Rose?
There is nothing about Arctic Rose that I love most.  I love everything about her equally with all my heart.

Quote from: jdcord on November 30, 2007, 07:58:05 AM
- Who let the dogs out?
Katja

- Who can make the sun rise?  And sprinkle it with dew?
The Candy Man can.

- What is the answer to life, the universe, and everything?

- Do you know the Muffin Man?
Not personally.  I met him once and we had a nice conversation.  He seems like a really nice guy.

newkris

did you know that the engine light in my car is off now?
do you know WHY it's so cold in MN already?
do you know where the star points?
\\\\\\\"i want to say more than words when i write\\\\\\\" - kent d. curry
me, too.

myspace.com\\\\\\\\krisknowshim
there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.

Sister_Mom

If you were President of the US, what would be 2 things you would most want to accomplish during your term?
God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: newkris on November 30, 2007, 12:26:15 PM
did you know that the engine light in my car is off now?
I do now.
do you know WHY it's so cold in MN already?
Global Warming
do you know where the star points?
Which star?  There are millions of them.

Quote from: Sister_Mom on November 30, 2007, 02:28:48 PM
If you were President of the US, what would be 2 things you would most want to accomplish during your term?
1.) Balanced budget
2.) Military reform

Arctic Rose

Do you know out of you or your wife: who drives the best car?

(Better get this one right)LOL  *Hint not yours*

I am not Spoiled.... Just well Loved!

Sister_Mom

Quote from: Arctic Rose on November 30, 2007, 07:46:54 PM

:laughhard:

God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

Sis

Quote from: Sister_Mom on November 30, 2007, 07:50:38 PM

:laughhard:

:laughat:

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Let's see, my car is a 2007 model while yours is a 1996 model.  They are both similarly equipped, similar size, and get similar mileage and performance.  Yours is paid for, mine has a loan against it.  Yours fits your small stature better than mine, but mine fits my tall stature better than yours.  Mine costs us more for insurance while yours has cost us more for repairs.  Both cost about the same when we bought them new.

I'd have to say it's a toss-up, they're both equally great cars.  Yours is better for you and mine is better for me.

Sister_Mom

:o

I answered my question and you indicated that you had another one. So, my question is "Where's my next question?"  :hypocrite:

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: Sister_Mom on November 30, 2007, 08:08:06 PMI answered my question and you indicated that you had another one. So, my question is "Where's my next question?"
Since I feel obligated to personally answer every question posted in this thread;

It's in my left rear jeans pocket which has already gone through the wash and is now in the dryer.

Sister_Mom

Guess that's what I get for waiting so long to answer the last one, and that's what you get for having such an efficient wife.   :grin:

kade

if you could ...would you be apart of teh punk movement? or become a hippie?

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: kade on November 30, 2007, 08:18:38 PM
if you could ...would you be apart of teh punk movement? or become a hippie?
No, and no.

kade

lol nice

so you dont want long knappy hair or long spiked up hair?

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: kade on November 30, 2007, 08:27:17 PM
so you dont want long knappy hair or long spiked up hair?
No, and no.

kade

respectable

which one was better in your opinion the 80's or 90's era

well considering there no era really for the 90's

the 70's and 80's
not sure your age so sorry if i over shot

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: kade on November 30, 2007, 08:51:59 PM
which one was better in your opinion the 80's or 90's era
'80s

well considering there no era really for the 90's
Sure there is.

the 70's and 80's
'80s

By the way, " 80's " is incorrect, but " '80s " is correct.  The apostrophe indicates an omission of characters, such as 1980 becomes '80 with the omission of the 19.  The "s" indicates plurality and you don't use an apostrophe when you use an s to make something plural.  You only use an apostrophe ('s) when indicating ownership.  You could have '86's if you are indicating ownership of something by the year, such as, "He was '80's #1 man." indicating he was the #1 man of the year 1980.  But without ownership, there is no 's, such as, The '80s were a great decade."

MelodyB

Do you always have to be PC?

Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Sister_Mom

Quote from: MelodyB on November 30, 2007, 09:55:48 PM
Do you always have to be PC?

It's grammar, not politics.  :grin: