News:

You can reach your profile and change its settings here.

Main Menu

Ask Michael K!

Started by Scott, November 29, 2007, 12:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kade

Quote from: kade on December 03, 2007, 09:40:32 PM
hrmmmmmm whats your favorite book other than the Bible?

meaning not the Bible or contents thereof :P
Sunday best and broken glass

sunlight

What is the hardest thing about moving so often?
is it possible to be in the AF and stay where you are (as in not have to move)?
What kind of food that you have tried during your many country stays did you like the best?
Did you ever get sick off of one types of food?
How do you keep your weight in check, and how did you train, or did you, to pass the physical exam?
What is the best way to run a marathon if you cant walk up a flight of stairs without breathing hard?

- some are random, some are for my bro-in-law who was asking me quesitons...
~ Chel
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: kade on December 03, 2007, 09:49:10 PM
meaning not the Bible or contents thereof
I misread you question.  I thought you asked, "What's your favorite book OF the Bible?"

Other than the Bible, I don't really have a favorite, but one that had a huge impact on me was Love Thy Neighbor, A Story of War by Peter Maas.

Quote from: sunlight on December 03, 2007, 10:16:35 PM
What is the hardest thing about moving so often?
Just packing and unpacking all of our belongings.  Over time we tend to collect a lot of things.  We will be moving again next July and we are already going through our stuff to get rid of we haven't needed/used for a while.

That and everything that goes along with moving into a new place; changing address with everyone, hooking up utilities, etc.
is it possible to be in the AF and stay where you are (as in not have to move)?
It is possible if one is stationed CONUS (Continental US).  I've heard of people "homesteading" in one place for 18+ years.  Overseas the maximum in one location is usually 7-8 years with a normal stay of 3-4 years.  I've been overseas since August 1992.
What kind of food that you have tried during your many country stays did you like the best?
Alcatra is probably my favorite food which is a dish that is popular in the Azores and hard to find anywhere else.  My second favorite would probably be Käserahmschnitzel from right here in Germany.  I really liked the ostrich I had for breakfast everyday in Ghana.
Did you ever get sick off of one types of food?
Honestly, the only foods I ever got sick from were foods I ate at restaurants in the U.S.
How do you keep your weight in check, and how did you train, or did you, to pass the physical exam?
1)  Exercise - however, my weight is getting close to being "out of check".
2)  To pass the PT test, just do lots of running, push ups, and sit ups.  I passed my last PT test, my next test is coming up in January.
What is the best way to run a marathon if you cant walk up a flight of stairs without breathing hard?
I don't run marathons, but the only way to get better at something physically is to just do it repeatedly.  If you want to be able to run 1½ miles in 10 minutes, then just get out and run at least four-five times per week.  Alternate running for endurance (longer distance), and speed (shorter distances faster).

I'm not a doctor, nor am I a physical trainer, my advice is based on what works for me.  You know your own limits, so don't kill yourself by pushing yourself too hard.  Work out within your own limits, which will improve as you work out more.
Move along, nothing to see here.

Sis

QuoteAlcatra is probably my favorite food which is a dish that is popular in the Azores and hard to find anywhere else.

What is it?

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: Sis on December 03, 2007, 11:46:29 PMWhat is it?
It's usually beef, although I've had it made with rabbit, that is slow cooked in a wine sauce with bacon and spices.  To get it right it has to be cooked in "seasoned" earthenware covered dish.  It's like a pot roast but 100x better than any pot roast I've ever had.

Sis

Quote from: M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ on December 04, 2007, 12:30:08 AM
Quote from: Sis on December 03, 2007, 11:46:29 PMWhat is it?
It's usually beef, although I've had it made with rabbit, that is slow cooked in a wine sauce with bacon and spices.  To get it right it has to be cooked in "seasoned" earthenware covered dish.  It's like a pot roast but 100x better than any pot roast I've ever had.

:fork:  I'll try it!

Arctic Rose

It was very good.

Michael K......   What is your favorite time of the year?

I am not Spoiled.... Just well Loved!

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: Arctic Rose on December 04, 2007, 10:11:27 AM
Michael K......   What is your favorite time of the year?
Any time that I'm with you.

I'd have to say winter, I like the cold weather.

Sis

*Sis thinks* Hmmm must be why he lived in Alaska!

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: Sis on December 04, 2007, 06:07:01 PM*Sis thinks* Hmmm must be why he lived in Alaska!
Not really why I lived there, but definitely one of the reasons why I want to go back.

Sister_Mom

Do you get goofy when you get tired?
God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: Sister_Mom on December 05, 2007, 02:47:18 PM
Sometimes.

I just woke up a little while ago and am getting ready to got to work.  I'm actually very well rested right now..

Babs

Can a hearse carrying a corpse drive in the car-pool lane?
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: Mz. Ethyl on December 05, 2007, 02:51:11 PM
Can a hearse carrying a corpse drive in the car-pool lane?
Sure, why not?

Sister_Mom

Quote from: M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ on December 05, 2007, 02:49:11 PM
Quote from: Sister_Mom on December 05, 2007, 02:47:18 PM
Sometimes.

I just woke up a little while ago and am getting ready to got to work.  I'm actually very well rested right now..

Ohhh... so that's it.  :laughhard:

Have a good day at work brother.  :thumbsup2:
God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

Babs

Why doesn't "onomatopoeia" sound like what it is?

Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?

Why do hotdogs come in packs of 8 when hotdog rolls come in packs of 10?
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: Mz. Ethyl on December 05, 2007, 03:17:44 PM
Why doesn't "onomatopoeia" sound like what it is?
Have you ever heard the sound onomatopoeia?  It does sound like it is.  To hear onomatopoeia, you'll need three live racoons, a set of jumper cables, a bottle of olive oil, two pair of lady's underwear, a cork screw, and 25 pounds of sand. . . .
Why doesn't Tarzan have a beard?
Because the lions keep licking his wiskers off.  Have you ever been licked by a cat?  their tongues can be sued to remove paint.
It's all about the money.  They make suire that you have to buy four pack of each to make them even out. 

newkris

why are half the crackers in the package always crumbly?

why was it 90 degrees colder in my car at the end of the day than it was in my friend's car in TX at the same time of the day?

are you dreaming of a white christmas?
\\\\\\\"i want to say more than words when i write\\\\\\\" - kent d. curry
me, too.

myspace.com\\\\\\\\krisknowshim
there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

I was just in the kitchen and noticed that both the hot dogs and the hot dog buns come in packages of eight.

Quote from: newkris on December 06, 2007, 01:54:08 AM
why are half the crackers in the package always crumbly?
To make you spend more money by buying more packages to get the right number of un-crumbled ones.

why was it 90 degrees colder in my car at the end of the day than it was in my friend's car in TX at the same time of the day?
Because you park you car in in a giant refrigerator.

are you dreaming of a white christmas?
No.  I don't dream.  I live a completely dream free life--it's much simpler that way as I never have to worry about my dreams being broken.

sunlight

so if you fail the physical is that it? any second chances? what happens then?
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: sunlight on December 06, 2007, 05:28:00 AM
so if you fail the physical is that it? any second chances? what happens then?
I don't know, you'd have to talk to the recruiter about that.  The physical is conducted at the Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS).  I would assume it would all depend on why the physical was failed and how serious the condition is that caused the failure.

Tricia Lea

if you had 2 weeks and money wasn't a factor, What would you like to do with your family?

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: Tricia Lea on December 08, 2007, 10:15:01 PM
if you had 2 weeks and money wasn't a factor, What would you like to do with your family?
If money wasn't a factor, I'd probably leave the decision up to the kids.  I'd ask them what it is they want to do for two weeks, then do my best to do that as a family.  One week to do what each kid wants to do.  Either that, or I'd go one week to do what both kids want, and one week to do what the wife wants.

Arctic Rose

Is your Christmas shopping done for your family?

I am not Spoiled.... Just well Loved!

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: Arctic Rose on December 14, 2007, 08:17:15 AM
Is your Christmas shopping done for your family?
As far as I know.  Unless you have something else you want to buy for yourself, wrap up, label from me to you, and put under the tree.