News:

The staff of Godplace.com welcomes you to our little house of fun. If you have a spiritual need, feel free to  contact any staff member.

Main Menu

Ask Michael K!

Started by Scott, November 29, 2007, 12:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: newkris on January 02, 2008, 01:11:52 AMwhat's your favorite thing about arctic rose?
If I have to narrow it down to one favorite thing it would probably be her kind, caring, and giving spirit.

Quote from: Tricia Lea on January 05, 2008, 06:51:53 AMIf fish could sneeze and a whole school of fish sneezed all at once, how big a wave would it create?
How big are the fish and how big is the school?  A school of 25 minnows would create a much smaller wave than a school of 100 tuna.

Quote from: Mz. Ethyl on January 05, 2008, 09:03:10 AMIf it wasn't for the last minute, would anything ever get done?
I prefer not to procrastinate.  Whenever we travel somewhere, I have my suit case packed and in the car the day before we leave.  So, some things would get done by a few people.
Move along, nothing to see here.

newkris

if a woodchuck could chuck wood, how much wood would a woodchuck chuck?

and how many peppers were in Peter Piper's peck of peppers? 
\\\\\\\"i want to say more than words when i write\\\\\\\" - kent d. curry
me, too.

myspace.com\\\\\\\\krisknowshim
there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: newkris on January 05, 2008, 10:54:00 PM
if a woodchuck could chuck wood, how much wood would a woodchuck chuck?
One cord in eight hours depending on the cut of the wood and the size/physical fitness of the woodchuck.

Quote from: newkris on January 05, 2008, 10:54:00 PM
and how many peppers were in Peter Piper's peck of peppers? 
The average chile pepper is 2" long by 1" in diameter, or 1.6 in3 (pi x r2 x l, or 3.142 x .5 in2 x 2 = 1.571). 

A peck is 8 dry quarts, or 462 in3 (57.75 in3 per quart x 8 quarts = 462 in3). 

So 289 average size chile peppers will fit in a peck (462 in3 ÷ 1.6 in3 = 288.75 peppers).

This, of course, does not take into account varying sizes in chile peppers, non-symmetrical shapes of chille peppers, nor any unfilled air space between chile peppers.

-----

EDIT: My math was incorrect the first time around.  I figured 57.75 in3 per quart, but that is for liquid quarts.  There are actually 67.2 in3 in a dry quart (a peck is a dry measurement, so all measurements should be done in the same type).  There are 538 in3 (537.6 in3) in a peck, not 462 in3.  Which changes the number of peppers from 289 to 336 peppers in a peck.

newkris

i have never in all of my life heard a mathematical equation created to answer those questions.

you are amazing.  no wonder arctic rose thinks you're the cats meow!

speaking of, peter and peppers, what if peter pickled those peppers? how many quarts could he get?  and who would he give them to?
me, too.

there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: newkris on January 06, 2008, 12:23:35 AM
speaking of, peter and peppers, what if peter pickled those peppers? how many quarts could he get?
A peck would still be 8 dry quarts regardless of the pickling of the peppers.  :)

Oh, and my math was incorrect the first time around.  I figured 57.75 in3 per quart, but that is for liquid quarts.  There are actually 67.2 in3 in a dry quart (a peck is a dry measurement, so all measurements should be done in the same type).  There are 538 in3 (537.6 in3) in a peck, not 462 in3.  Which changes the number of peppers to 336, not 289.

Quote from: newkris on January 06, 2008, 12:23:35 AM
and who would he give them to?
Friends and neighbors.

Sis

The rhyme says he picked pickled peppers. How could he pick them already pickled?

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: Sis on January 06, 2008, 12:51:38 AM
The rhyme says he picked pickled peppers. How could he pick them already pickled?
Peter is a Dufflepud.

newkris

do you know peter?  how do you know he's a dufflepud?  is that a german adjective? 
me, too.

Sis

newkris

yeah, i'm not sure, but i don't think they have dufflepud's in minnesota.  i KNOW they didn't have them in milwaukee. 

where exactly do dufflepud's come from?
me, too.

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: newkris on January 06, 2008, 01:21:00 AMdo you know peter?
No.

Quote from: newkris on January 06, 2008, 01:21:00 AMhow do you know he's a dufflepud?
Based on the fact that he picks peppers that are already pickled (see response below).

Quote from: newkris on January 06, 2008, 01:21:00 AMis that a german adjective?
Not that I'm aware of.

Quote from: Sis on January 06, 2008, 01:31:02 AMDufflepud?
Dufflepuds are also known as "Monopods".

Quote from: newkris on January 06, 2008, 01:33:02 AMwhere exactly do dufflepud's come from?
Dufflepud Island. An Island visited by the travelers aboard the Dawn Treader in C.S. Lewis' book, "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader."  The Dufflepuds were known for doing such things as planting potatoes that were already baked to save time in not having to bake them after they are harvested or washing their dishes before eating to save time in washing them after they eat.  Since Peter is picking peppers that are already pickled, I assume he is a Dufflepud that puts pickled peppers in his garden to save the time of pickling them after he harvests them.

newkris

me, too.

Sis

MelodyB

Thats awesome! Dufflepud! LOL
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Scott

What rank do you hope to attain prior to retiring?

"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Babs

Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: Scott on January 06, 2008, 07:13:44 AM
What rank do you hope to attain prior to retiring?
I'm only aiming for MSgt.  It would be nice to get SMSgt or CMSgt, but MSgt is all I'm hoping for.

newkris

what do you need to do yet to get either of those ranks before retiring?

what will you do when you retire?
me, too.

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: newkris on January 06, 2008, 01:46:09 PM
what do you need to do yet to get either of those ranks before retiring?
For MSgt, all I have to do is study for my promotion test and work to get high performance ratings, the same and any of the lower NCO ranks.  For SMSgt and CMSgt I need a little bit more; show constant active volunteering in the community, a continuous advancement in my "off-duty" education, and answer questions before a promotion board, on top of the high performance ratings and study for promotion tests.

Quote from: newkris on January 06, 2008, 01:46:09 PMwhat will you do when you retire?
I'm not sure at this time.  I could consider continuing with my current line of work, IT network operations and management, or I could look for something new.  I would like to get into something where I don't have to deal with more than a few people on a daily basis, maybe a night shift janitor for a large company or something.

newkris

where will you live when you come back to the states?  ak?  is that where your extended family is?
me, too.

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: newkris on January 06, 2008, 11:02:20 PM
where will you live when you come back to the states?  ak?
I want somewhere in the Pacific Northwest.  Alaska, Oregon, or Washington.

Quote from: newkris on January 06, 2008, 11:02:20 PM
is that where your extended family is?
Most of my family lives in Oregon.

Tricia Lea

If someone with a nostril ring takes it out, then blows their nose, do they have to cover that hole as well as their nostril holes so that snot does'nt blow out everywere?

Babs

"I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that "I do" is the longest sentence?
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

Sis

Quote from: Tricia Lea on January 07, 2008, 06:30:48 AM
If someone with a nostril ring takes it out, then blows their nose, do they have to cover that hole as well as their nostril holes so that snot does'nt blow out everywere?

I've wondered that myself.

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Quote from: Tricia Lea on January 07, 2008, 06:30:48 AM
I'll have to ask someone with a nose piercing when I get a chance.

Quote from: Mz. Ethyl on January 07, 2008, 06:33:29 AM
"I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that "I do" is the longest sentence?
Not in my opinion.  My 18 years after "I do" have gone by way too fast.