News:

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Rockhounding

Started by BroGary, June 18, 2012, 05:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BroGary

Hey all,

Haven't been online here in a while, but wanted to know if anyone is or was ever into rockhounding (collecting rocks and minerals).

I am relatively new to rockhounding specifically as a hobby, even though I always enjoyed checking out interesting rocks since I was a kid.

I am on a tight budget and have limited funds for hobby stuff, but I am thankful for and enjoy what I can afford, like a fairly inexpensive SW UV light for causing fluorescent minerals to glow !

Hobbies are fun, and we all need a little diversion from everyday chores once in a while, but I am trying to also make any hobby interests into opportunities for reaching new souls with the gospel, because finding others with simular hobby interests, (like at a hobby club for whatever hobby) can develop new friendships which can give new opportunities for sharing the gospel, so hobbies can be both fun and an outreach tool  :cool:

I have yet to find any rockhound clubs within any reasonable distance, but I'm still researching.

I have a few samples of fluorescent rocks that the company I bought from sends out with their SW UV lights, I have also found some interesting rocks that I think are a type of white quartz.

I also found 4 rocks that I believe could be meteorites, but I have to research it further.

So, any rockhounds on the forum, or do you have any friends or relatives who are or used to be rockhounds ?

Lynx

My father is a big rockhound.  He bids on ebay all the time, knows what he's bidding on, got the presses, grinders, etc in a little workshop out behind his house, etc.  If I give you his number, be sure to be on a phone with unlimited minutes before you start talking about rocks.  :P  He can talk about them for hours.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

BroGary

Quote from: Psalm_97 on June 18, 2012, 05:33:40 AM
My father is a big rockhound.  He bids on ebay all the time, knows what he's bidding on, got the presses, grinders, etc in a little workshop out behind his house, etc.  If I give you his number, be sure to be on a phone with unlimited minutes before you start talking about rocks.  :P  He can talk about them for hours.

Then you know how interesting rocks can be to some people  :)

I'm not quite that deep into rockhounding, but I do find it really very interesting, especially the fluorescent rocks, which is another one of God's many natural wonders !

I simply collect rocks and minerals, I don't make anything out of them, but they are interesting to study and to view - especially the fluorescent rocks !

Does he ever go hunting for rocks himself, or just get them thru ebay ?

I'm learning how different states are known for greater abundance of certain types of rocks, but interesting rocks and minerals can found just about everywhere from what I have heard.

Lynx

He hunts for rocks himself.  And fossils, and small trees that have had vines grow around them, that makes them into kind of spiral sticks...
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: