News:

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Windows 7

Started by Tricia Lea, February 19, 2011, 12:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tricia Lea

I have Windows Vista now and its a pain at times. Through school I have the opportunity to get Windows 7 free. I asked on FB and people seem to think Windows 7 is way better. Do you agree and....
Is it something I could do or would I be better getting someone to do it.
I  am not a computer dummy but in no way a computer genius lol

Lynx

GET IT! 

Windows Vista is a pain all the way around.  Windows 7 seems to be smooth as silk.  If you can get it for free, go for it!
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Tricia Lea

I also want to know is I know changing OS is not easy but is it somthing that I could probably do or should I have someone install it for me?

Lynx

If you know what an .iso and an image disk are, probably yes.  If you have no idea what I'm talking about, don't do it yourself.  Get a local nerd friend to install it for you.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Lynx

One important question people never ask themselves is, is this something you NEED?  Windows 7 is better, but better is only good if what you have can't get the job done.  Can you do everything you want/need to do on what you have?  Just because Windows 7 is better than Vista doesn't mean you absolutely have to get it. 

Ask your nerd friend to make sure there are Win 7 drivers for your specific computer, and make sure you have a restore disk to reinstall Vista if Win 7 doesn't work somehow on your computer.  I've not personally heard of anyone having trouble with Win 7 not working with certain hardware, but in the computer world you just never know.  Better to make sure.
"Do you sing at church?"

Tricia Lea

When I first got this computer I burnt me 3  reboot DVDs and thankfully I did because I had to use them once to restart after a virus

Lynx

Oh, well... in that case, with a safety backup all ready to go, you could learn to do this yourself.  If you do mess up, who cares?  Just go back to your backup DVD.  :D

Just let me know. 
"Do you sing at church?"

Babs

well i would say backup any personal files, since you are getting a new copy of win7, all you should have to do is pop in the disc and run the install. i would tell it to reformat as well just to start fresh. just me  :twocents:
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

Tricia Lea

I am waiting for my login to the academic website
http://msdn07.e-academy.com/elms/Storefront/Storefront.aspx?campus=rwccc_btech&np1=112
Once I do I have access to downloading anything on this site. I recieved an email from the school saying I should have it within a week

I just wish they had MS Office 7 or 10 on there too lol

Lynx

Shhhh!  We're not supposed to tell them how easy it is until they say they want to try it!  How are nerds supposed to preserve nerd/computer mystique if you keep giving the game away? :P

But yeah, it really is that easy... assuming Windows 7 comes with drivers for your hardware.  Which it probably does, if your computer's hardware is all class compliant.
"Do you sing at church?"

Babs

well as far as i live from her being or not being a nerd is useless for me lol

My latest blog post.

Tricia Lea

well I might need a phone consult when doing it lol

if its free

Lynx

Free on this end, if you're calling me... we don't have long distance on the house phone, and the other phone uses up minutes. 

The safest way would be to go to your computer's website, under Support, Drivers, look up the exact model for your computer and download all Windows 7 drivers for it - sound, video, network card, wireless, etc.  Then you'll have them on hand if you run into the old needing-a-network-driver-to-get-online-to-get-the-driver paradox.  Or tell me what kind of computer you have and what exact model number, and I can download what you need, zip it and send it.

EDIT:  Changed "easiest" to "safest."  You probably won't need to do all that, and if you didn't do all that and found out you needed it you could just reinstall Vista from that DVD you burnt, get online and get what you need.
"Do you sing at church?"

Tricia Lea

Well I got my login info to the site Prolly will download and burn it to cd tomorrow. Sti\ll a bit leary about doing it  lol

Lynx

With the backup DVDs you have, what could go wrong that cannot be fixed?  If you are burning backup DVDs and reinstalling from them anyway, you probably already know all you need to know to do this.

If you think you'll get in a bind PM me or probably Barb for phone tech support.
"Do you sing at church?"

Tricia Lea

Burning windows 7 to disc now. Going to try to do it this evening...

Burnt my music to 2 data dvds and going to save a couple other things first

Lynx

If you run into trouble, Chel has my number.  If she gives it to you, you can be trusted to have it.  ;)

Windows 7 is smooth, everything Vista was supposed to be.  I got it on my new laptop and love it.
"Do you sing at church?"

Tricia Lea

Wellllll....
I made it back.
I have windows 7 running. Wasn't hard.
I was just worried because it wasn't a ready made set up like reboot cds

Babs

hope you did a clean install? how do you like it so far?

My latest blog post.

Lynx

I second the clean install.  If you didn't, start over and do.

First thing I always do is switch to Firefox.  Second thing is go to Control Panel, Folder Options, View tab, show hidden files, turn OFF the stupid "Hide extensions for known file types."

By the way Tricia, after you get everything set up just the way you want, go to Start > All Programs > Maintenance > Backup and Restore.  In the Backup and Restore window, first make a system repair disk (Windows won't specify type of disk, but a CD is plenty big enough... this is just the boot disk that will handle the restoring from the disks you will make next.)  Then make a system image.  Make it on "one or more DVDs" and be sure you have at least three blank DVDs on hand, probably more like four or five.

Yeah it takes a while.  But if your Windows goes totally down the tubes and you restore from these DVDs, it will already be set up the way you had it at the time you made all these DVDs.  No reinstalling all your programs, changing settings, trying to remember bookmarks, etc.
"Do you sing at church?"

Tricia Lea

So far so good

And yes I did a clean install. I have the CD if I did something wrong

World Traveler

HEY! Windows 8 is coming out April 1st!!!!
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

Lynx

Too late, Linux Mint 10 already has it pwned. 
"Do you sing at church?"

Babs

Quote from: World Traveler on March 19, 2011, 12:24:06 AM
HEY! Windows 8 is coming out April 1st!!!!

never, ever ever ever install a windows OS as soon as it is released unless you are just looking for trouble.

:yikes:

My latest blog post.

Lynx

He's just picking.  Everyone knows 8 won't be out until '12.  But yeah, conventional wisdom is don't install a new Windows until the first service pack is out.  By then it is widely considered stable enough to be trusted... at least as far as you can trust Windows.
"Do you sing at church?"