News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

Need help recovering info

Started by World Traveler, January 29, 2011, 09:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

World Traveler

Ok. I accidental deleted some info on my computer. I put it in the recycling bin and cleared the recycling bin. Later I realized I put in the wrong paperwork. Is there any way to get this back. I heard computers do not completely delete things and they are really in there and that I should be able to reset my computer back to an earlier date, but I can't seem to find the way to do it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

World Traveler

I have found some sites on Google and some Youtube videos that recommend sites that can help with this, but am hesitant to access those right now until I am sure it can be done and they are not just sites designed to pass on viruses or trojans, etc.
Here are a couple of the videos I watched:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndLXZbqQRAY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndLXZbqQRAY

It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

Lynx

You're talking about System Restore (caps intended.)  In Windows XP go to Start, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. 

The reason people say the data is still somewhere in your computer is because the common way for a computer to "delete" data is just to "forget" the data is there.  Then when that space is needed for something else the data is overwritten because the space holds data that has been forgotten.  Norton Ghost (tm) can go in and recover said "forgotten" data, but it will cost... IF the data has not been overwritten yet.  System Restore is probably your best first shot.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

World Traveler

Psalm_97,
I was trying system restore and it was not working.
Then a friend of mine sent me a link on how to find specific files for specific days using previous versions, especially for those of us who don't back things up, and I now have my files back.
This is the link he sent me for others who may want it: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Recover-lost-or-deleted-files .

It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Lynx

Ah, shadow copies.  Glad you got the files back.  Windows 7 is great.  Totally erases the Vista stigma. 
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

World Traveler

My computer was originally vista... gag! Upgraded as soon as I could to windows 7. I still think XP was the best, though.

It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Lynx

Hmm... it depends how you look at it, and what your objectives are.  7 can do more, but XP is still more stable.  For most people I would recommend XP still.  7 is pretty smooth though.  :)

At this point I would usually insert a statement about how it still can't touch Ubuntu... But Ubuntu has been getting a bit quirky the last couple of releases. 
"Do you sing at church?"