News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice? -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Presidential Proclamation--Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month

Started by onli-one-jehovi, June 01, 2010, 01:20:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onli-one-jehovi

Can we say "Hello Sodom!"

I really think this should go in the Bible area, but....

The White House

Office of the Press Secretary

Presidential Proclamation--Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month

As Americans, it is our birthright that all people are created equal and deserve the same rights, privileges, and opportunities. Since our earliest days of independence, our Nation has striven to fulfill that promise. An important chapter in our great, unfinished story is the movement for fairness and equality on behalf of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community. This month, as we recognize the immeasurable contributions of LGBT Americans, we renew our commitment to the struggle for equal rights for LGBT Americans and to ending prejudice and injustice wherever it exists.

LGBT Americans have enriched and strengthened the fabric of our national life. From business leaders and professors to athletes and first responders, LGBT individuals have achieved success and prominence in every discipline. They are our mothers and fathers, our sons and daughters, and our friends and neighbors. Across my Administration, openly LGBT employees are serving at every level. Thanks to those who came before us the brave men and women who marched, stood up to injustice, and brought change through acts of compassion or defiance we have made enormous progress and continue to strive for a more perfect union.

My Administration has advanced our journey by signing into law the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr., Hate Crimes Prevention Act, which strengthens Federal protections against crimes based on gender identity or sexual orientation. We renewed the Ryan White CARE Act, which provides life saving medical services and support to Americans living with HIV/AIDS, and finally eliminated the HIV entry ban. I also signed a Presidential Memorandum directing hospitals receiving Medicare and Medicaid funds to give LGBT patients the compassion and security they deserve in their time of need, including the ability to choose someone other than an immediate family member to visit them and make medical decisions.

In other areas, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) announced a series of proposals to ensure core housing programs are open to everyone, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity. HUD also announced the first ever national study of discrimination against members of the LGBT community in the rental and sale of housing. Additionally, the Department of Health and Human Services has created a National Resource Center for LGBT Elders.

Much work remains to fulfill our Nation's promise of equal justice under law for LGBT Americans. That is why we must give committed gay couples the same rights and responsibilities afforded to any married couple, and repeal the Defense of Marriage Act. We must protect the rights of LGBT families by securing their adoption rights, ending employment discrimination against LGBT Americans, and ensuring Federal employees receive equal benefits. We must create safer schools so all our children may learn in a supportive environment. I am also committed to ending "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" so patriotic LGBT Americans can serve openly in our military, and I am working with the Congress and our military leadership to accomplish that goal.

As we honor the LGBT Americans who have given so much to our Nation, let us remember that if one of us is unable to realize full equality, we all fall short of our founding principles. Our Nation draws its strength from our diversity, with each of us contributing to the greater whole. By affirming these rights and values, each American benefits from the further advancement of liberty and justice for all.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim June 2010 as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month. I call upon all Americans to observe this month by fighting prejudice and discrimination in their own lives and everywhere it exists.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-eighth day of May, in the year of our Lord two thousand ten, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-fourth.

BARACK OBAMA

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...er-pride-month
Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
Young man, how is it that you do not?

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Wow... sounds like Rome...

hmmm...

Any other sources on this... ?

*Yoop curious, and goes to find additional facts...*

Feed The Bachelors 2010

bishopnl

The Proclamation is correct, the year is incorrect.  It was actually June of 2009.  http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Presidential-Proclamation-LGBT-Pride-Month/

The link attached to the initial post doesn't work.  Try the link I have attached. 

Also, Bill Clinton as far back as 2000 declared June to be Gay and Lesbian month. 
~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~
- Mark Twain, a Biography

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

- James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788

He-Man

And frankly we didnt need a presidential proclamation to pick the warmest month to go outside for a parade :)
%41%61%72%6F%6E

bishopnl

I'm sorry, but there's nothing more ridiculous than a parade celebrating one's sexual choices.  And frankly, it's insulting and hypocritical.
~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

Heather

honestly you could find something insulting about any parade. christmas, 4th of july, thanksgiving, etc.
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

bishopnl

:-?

I suppose that's....possible....I guess.....

Although I would hope no one would deign to compare a Christmas parade with a gay pride parade.  They aren't even in the same ballpark.

Heather

wasn't comparing, just stating that someone could be upset about any type of parade.
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

bishopnl

Melody

This whole over turning of Prop 8 thing...

Does this make it official that it's no longer a democracy or was that an obvious  :flush: a long time ago? 

It's all very, very sad.  And the knowledge that such sin, as with any sin, will cause them to burn in hell for all eternity only makes it sadder. 

The parade is heart wrenching, like mindless livestock headed to the slaughter.  You just want to call them back!  But they don't listen, they think because the way feels united and strong, it must be good.  They're so pleased, as if they affect or change truth, as if they won't really burn in hell because the way is favorable now.  They could, and might win every political battle, but they still lose.

Ugh, pro-gay think what makes us sick is some fear.  That's not it, nobody's scared of a fool in bondage.  What's sickening more than the sin, is the lost soul, that we, through whoever we may be connected to, have failed in some way to convey how wonderful God is.  So much so that they choose rather tortuous spirits. 

Jaybee

"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forward."

- Kierkegaard

kkay

I, personally, don't see anything wrong with everyone having equal rights. I agree with everything the President said other than when he proclaimed June 2010 as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month. I think some groups are more quick to judge and don't realize that the majority of issues and rights these people are fighting for are rights that have been issued to all Americans but have been taken away because they decide to do certain things differently. Yes, being homosexual, bisexual, etc. is morally wrong, but it doesn't mean those people should be treated differently. We all know we're living in the End Times, so why is it so surprising all this is happening?

**Note**
This is not directed toward any individual or group. It's purely my opinion.

*end rant*

Babs

Quote from: MellowYellow on August 06, 2010, 05:44:51 AM
What's sickening more than the sin, is the lost soul, that we, through whoever we may be connected to, have failed in some way to convey how wonderful God is.  So much so that they choose rather tortuous spirits.

exactly!
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

BrothaJason

You know what's more sick? How some so called Christians treat them.

Babs

Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

drummr

It doesn't seem to matter how careful and kind you are, 99% of the time you will be characterized as full of hate, or bigoted, or whatever. 
"Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:"
1 Peter 1:22

TheLineman

:copcar:

Easy now; your first post needs to be a bit less in your face

upcchris

Quote from: drummr on February 28, 2011, 11:39:52 PM
It doesn't seem to matter how careful and kind you are, 99% of the time you will be characterized as full of hate, or bigoted, or whatever.

Unfortunately, because of the actions of a few bad examples who've given the rest a bad name, it's enough for some to know that we're Christian, and automatically see us as full of hate or bigoted or whatever *sigh*, which is ironic, because, technically, by saying so, they  make themselves out to be exactly that against us - because - except for said bad examples - it isn't true. Yes I don't approve of their choice of lifestyle, but to disagree with someone does not mean that you hate them.
Television is proof the people will look at anything rather than eachother

Life would be so much easier without hormones

Of all God's creations, humans are the only ones with enough imagination to be bored

Humans are fallible, and they unreasonably expect everyone else not to be

Tina~Chris

TheLineman

Quote from: TheLineman on August 20, 2011, 07:27:24 PM

I apologize if I posted anything that was false and/or not based on scripture.

Scott

Quote from: TheLineman on August 21, 2011, 05:53:55 AM
Quote from: TheLineman on August 20, 2011, 07:27:24 PM

I apologize if I posted anything that was false and/or not based on scripture.

Not saying that was the problem, it was just a bit too direct for a brand new poster.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

He-Man

Quote from: MellowYellow on August 06, 2010, 05:44:51 AM
This whole over turning of Prop 8 thing...

Does this make it official that it's no longer a democracy or was that an obvious  :flush: a long time ago?

I direct you to the internet, from which comes most answers. http://thisnation.com/question/011.html

Having a constitution being the supreme law of the land means that you don't get to pass laws that don't pass muster.
Walker, however, found it violated the Constitution's due process and equal protection clauses while failing "to advance any rational basis in singling out gay men and lesbians for denial of a marriage license."

The parade is heart wrenching, like mindless livestock headed to the slaughter.
Now you're just being insulting.

Ugh, pro-gay think what makes us sick is some fear.  That's not it, nobody's scared of a fool in bondage.
More of the same..
What's sickening more than the sin, is the lost soul, that we, through whoever we may be connected to, have failed in some way to convey how wonderful God is.  So much so that they choose rather tortuous spirits.
Gee, I wonder how someone might not think your beliefs are so wonderful after reading your words. Heavens to Betsy, you sound loving.
%41%61%72%6F%6E