News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

Obama's First moves

Started by Brother Dad, November 09, 2008, 11:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Dad

It will be interesting to see what our new President's first moves will be.   I read these statements and thought about change.

Bush used his executive power to limit federal spending on embryonic stem cell research, a position championed by opponents of abortion rights who argue that destroying embryos is akin to killing a fetus. Obama has supported the research in an effort to find cures for diseases such as Alzheimer's. Many moderate Republicans also support the research, giving it the stamp of bipartisanship.

On drilling, the federal Bureau of Land Management is opening about 360,000 acres of public land in Utah to oil and gas drilling. Bush administration officials argue that the drilling will not harm sensitive areas; environmentalists oppose it.

First order of business, be sure and keep on trying to play God.  Make sure the babies are killed.  So we can wipe out America as it has been known for years. 

Second order of Business stop drilling for oil on our own lands so we will continue to be dependent upon the Arabs (Muslims) for our energy.
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Sis

His aggressiveness scares me. He's not in office yet, and he's telling folks what he's going to do the minute he's in there. He's scary!

Brother Dad

Now someone tell me how these changes will help the economy.
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

J Lamar

It won't and it's not meant to.

Though he ran on economic change it's the social agenda that's his priority.

Brother Dad

The news says the next move is to bring the suspected terrorist to the United States to stand trail.  What happens if the court (picked by Obama) finds there is not enough proof to imprison these now on US soil terrorist.  They all will not go back home, least that is what I think.

Chérie

I predict this will be the best next 4 years of my life.
religion, tv, and media have powerful effects on the way people see the world. - maynard james keenan

Brother Dad

Quote from: Chérie on November 10, 2008, 05:42:46 PM
As long as we depend on God and not man.  I would say this regardless who had won.

Brother Dad

I would like to ask a serious question here.  No judging, condemning or anything like that.  What do you expect from Obama that will make life better for you/  Another question what do you expect from him that will make life better for our nation?

Chérie

Quote from: Brother Dad on November 10, 2008, 06:20:12 PM
I would like to ask a serious question here.  No judging, condemning or anything like that.  What do you expect from Obama that will make life better for you/  Another question what do you expect from him that will make life better for our nation?

for starters i predict the economy will improve. he will end the war in iraq, which i am opposed, and i expect he will make many healthcare reforms.

so yeah - i'm pretty ecstatic.
religion, tv, and media have powerful effects on the way people see the world. - maynard james keenan

bishopnl

Wow.  You are pretty optimistic, considering most economists are predicting the economy will not improve until about 2010, or 2011 (and it wouldn't likely matter who is in office). 

And have you been reading the papers lately?  They are already renegotiating the deal with AIG, giving them another 25 billion (bringing AIG's portion of the bailout package to 150 billion), and so far nothing has been done to bailout the auto industry, which the Democrats favor.  Where, exactly, is Obama going to get the money to make all these reforms in health care (or any reforms, for that matter)?

No offense, but this is what bugs me about people who place their faith in government.  If Obama achieves even 20% of his campaign promises, I'll be surprised.  Yet I'm hearing all these people ecstatic about what he is going to "do."  He's hamstrung.  Your health care is being spent right now to prop up shaky financial institutions and, if the new Congress has it's way, the flailing automotive industry.  And who knows what else.
~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~
- Mark Twain, a Biography

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

- James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788

Sis

I had heard that the economy MIGHT improve for awhile, but it won't last long. Donno what to think but that sounds about right. A new person comes in, changes a couple of things. But they also can falsely inflate stocks, too. But it eventually comes crashing down.

QuoteWhere, exactly, is Obama going to get the money to make all these reforms in health care (or any reforms, for that matter)?

Maybe the same place Clinton got it?   Raid the Social Security budget?

Niki

I'm just praying that Obama's worst leftist/liberal ideas don't happen.

I'll be glad when his supporters stop worshipping at his altar. Maybe when things don't happen the way they hoped they would they'll come to their senses.
When you say "Jesus" you've said everything.

Sis

bishopnl

Btw, I think it might be an opportune time to point out the folly of one of Obama's earlier plans.

I had quoted this article in an earlier post...I repost part of it now:

Obama announced his plan for a windfall profits tax on oil companies on June 9 in Raleigh, N.C., as he launched a two-week economic tour after clinching the Democratic nomination.

Friday's proposal says Obama "is proposing to offset the cost of his emergency energy rebates over the next five years by enacting a windfall profits tax on big oil companies."

"Obama simply asks that big oil companies contribute a reasonable share of the windfall profits they receive from high oil prices over the next five years to pay for emergency assistance for families right now," the campaign says.

So....I wonder, now that gas prices have dropped to under $2.00 a gallon in some areas of the country, whether Obama realizes how stupid his plan was.

In fact, I wonder how people who explained the high price of oil by charging the oil companies with conspiracy and collusion are now explaining the historic drop off in price.  Did the oil companies suddenly get tired of making money?

Anyone who had that explanation *coughBillOReillycough* needs to keep their trap shut in the future about energy policy...or else do some research about oil. 
~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~
- Mark Twain, a Biography

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

- James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788

Sis

In the first place, this country was built on capitalism. I think taxing a company or a group of companies because they make more money than other companies is pretty lame. They aren't going to be interested in research if you cut their money like that.

I wish we were like Canada. They don't tax windfall earnings from anyone. If you win a once in a lifetime sweepstakes, it won't be taxed above incometax.

Scott

I heard Obama said that he wanted to pursue Bin Laden, find him and kill him.

Is he going all Rambo on us???
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Brother Dad

Quote from: Sis on November 10, 2008, 09:45:09 PM
I had heard that the economy MIGHT improve for awhile, but it won't last long. Donno what to think but that sounds about right. A new person comes in, changes a couple of things. But they also can falsely inflate stocks, too. But it eventually comes crashing down.

QuoteWhere, exactly, is Obama going to get the money to make all these reforms in health care (or any reforms, for that matter)?

Maybe the same place Clinton got it?   Raid the Social Security budget?
Can't raid SS no more.  It is already in the whole because of Clinton.  SS need to be privatized so at least we would get something and the government not steal it all from us.

Brother Dad

Quote from: Niki on November 10, 2008, 10:49:15 PM

I'll be glad when his supporters stop worshipping at his altar. Maybe when things don't happen the way they hoped they would they'll come to their senses.
I overheard someone today describe Obama as a Moses.  Now that is getting a little scary.

BenJammin

Question:  Considering that the oil companies windfall profit margin is only 7% (well within the norms for corporate profits), but the pharmaceuticals average profit margin is 15%, tell me whose windfalls should be taxed???

Answer:  No one should be subjected an unfair taxation such as this.  Tax each corporate entity equally and allow them to continue making money.  That, after all, is how jobs are created in the 1st place...

"Small boys become big men through the influence of big men who care about small boys." ~Anonymous~

"Courage is not the absence of fear; rather the understanding that something else is more important than fear" ~Ambrose Redmoon~

Sis

Quote from: Brother Dad on November 11, 2008, 06:58:03 AM
Quote from: Niki on November 10, 2008, 10:49:15 PM

I overheard someone today describe Obama as a Moses.  Now that is getting a little scary.

Didn't they say he was their saviour?

Good points, Benjamin!

Brother Dad

Quote from: Chérie on November 10, 2008, 08:49:55 PM
Quote from: Brother Dad on November 10, 2008, 06:20:12 PM

for starters i predict the economy will improve. he will end the war in iraq, which i am opposed, and i expect he will make many healthcare reforms.

so yeah - i'm pretty ecstatic.
We all hope the economy does improve, but we understand it is a cycle.  We also understand (at least where I live) if Clinton had not sign NAFTA into law we would not have all the empty Textile plants in our City.  We would not have lost our biggest employer, Which closed when Clinton was in Office that employed over 3,000.  We understand trickle down  economics.  It has finally caught up to us.  The big guys hurt it passes  down to the little guys.  Not all Clintons fault I am sure but a large part of the problem Clinton created.

No one like war.  But from what my ralatives have told me the people in Iraq are sure glad to be set free.  Sometimes it is necessary

As far as health care, same as Clinton promised.  I would love to see health care reform, but we will wait and see.

I would have like to see us drilling for our own oil and not be dependent upon the Arabs for oil.  But Obama said one of his first order of business will be to stop domestic oil drilling.  So our country will stay salves to the Arabs.

Sis

QuoteWe would not have lost our biggest employer, Which closed when Clinton was in Office that employed over 3,000.  We understand trickle down  economics.  It has finally caught up to us.  The big guys hurt it passes  down to the little guys.  Not all Clintons fault I am sure but a large part of the problem Clinton created.

This is what I was talking about before. When a president does something, it might not be noticed right away. Not until the next, or the next two men take over the office.  Clinton did a lot of damage. some was noticed right away, some is still pending. Like the ones who will be affected by the Social Security coffers being raided are just now coming of the age to use it. They thought they had something in their future but it's gone. Will they end up on the streets?  Or just starving at home?

QuoteNo one like war.  But from what my ralatives have told me the people in Iraq are sure glad to be set free.  Sometimes it is necessary

I do believe that running away from the fight in Viet Nam is what got us attacked (911). They didn't think we'd fight back. They thought we were a bunch of wimps who run away  from trouble. Now, if Obama pulls us out of another fight, they will think of us as wimps again. I am afraid to see what they'll do to attack us this time. We ARE doing good over there, and we should finish it.

People don't get it. You  don't run away from bullies. They will chase you. You don't "discuss" things with bullies. They will punch you in the mouth while you're still talking. The only way to handle a bully is to be brave, strong, and show the bully that you're not going to take his nonsense, or run away. But there are libs who think you can talk a bully down and go away happy. You'll go away with a black eye and a fat lip.

Quotehttp://as far as health care, same as Clinton promised.  I would love to see health care reform, but we will wait and see.

Their idea of health care reform is turning us into a welfare state, with he state deciding what kind of heath care you will get. Lived it, and it stunk.  We need AFFORDABLE health care. We need to go back to the time before insurance companies and doctors that hiked up the prices of health care because of fraudulent claims. Now the drug companies jumped on the band wagon. Even with insurance, most people can't afford doctors because the copay is so high.

Tsalagi

Quote from: Scott on November 11, 2008, 01:35:15 AM
I heard Obama said that he wanted to pursue Bin Laden, find him and kill him.

Is he going all Rambo on us???

Ooo!  I hope so...maybe it would take him four years to do it.

Melody

so basically anything Bush has done right, Obama's gonna get the credit...lol  great.   :smirk2:

Sis

Quote from: MellowYellow on November 11, 2008, 10:12:49 PM
so basically anything Bush has done right, Obama's gonna get the credit...lol  great.   :smirk2:

It's happened in the past. Good and bad, the wheels were turning before some took office, then they got credit for it happening.