News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice? -Steven Wright

Main Menu

I am going to try Windows Vista

Started by darlaj2, April 23, 2007, 03:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darlaj2

I ordered a new computer the other day and asked that Vista Premium be installed.  We'll see what Vista is all about.  I pick it up tomorrow.

Anyone else using Vista??

LarryTheCucumber

Tsalagi

Ick.  Vista.  lol

Surf:

Pi are NOT square, Pi are ROUND

txlnghrn

I got a free upgrade when I bought my laptop last year. Just installed it the other day. I like it so far.....different but i like it.
The Lord is close to the brokenhearted
    and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

Psalm 34:18 NIV

Ashlee

I have Vista.  So far I love it!!!  The only problems that I have found were a few programs that were not compatable, but most programs are updating quickly.  With a little patience, you will soon be able to run all the programs that you have previously.

A friend of mine also has Windows Vista for several months, and he has not had any problems whatsoever with it.

darlaj2

Good to hear.  I pick up my computer today--so we shall see.  I don't do a whole lot on the computer (at home) so being compatible with programs may not be a huge problem.  I do all the uploading of my digital pictures and do some downloading of music and buring CD's, but basically that is it.  Just use it for e-mail and looking up motels, making reservations, etc.  I am excited to be getting Vista!!

Kyle

When I think of Windows Vista I always think of this Apple Commercial.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

Click on the one called Security.

I love it!
Stupidity is a global epidemic.

B

*nods* That's a funny commercial. :thumbsup2:

B

darlaj2

Got the new computer.  It is really cool.  I am liking Vista so far.  I got the Premium version and so far so good.   :thumbsup2:
Takes a little getting used to, but it is nice.

Ashlee

I think I have the premium version.  Don't really remember.  lol  I like it.  Have you tried the button that's something like, "manuever between windows".  It's cool.  On the toolbar by the start button.

darlaj2

Yes, I have tried that button and like it!!!  That was a very nice addition to Windows.  Yesterday, I spent the day just playing around and seeing what all is different, the same and new.  Today I am just trying to rack my brain trying to remember all the programs on my old computer that I might want to download....got a couple downloaded and I guess the rest will come to me when I need it.

One thing that is taking me a little while to get used to is the overall font size.  It just seems like everything in Vista is smaller (icons, font, etc.)  When I went to work this morning and got back on my XP computer, I was like "Whoa!  Big difference."  Is yours like that teacherofthelord, or is my settings just set that way?

Ashlee

You can change the setting and make things larger if you right click on the main screen and go to "Personalize".  Under "Tasks" on the left hand side,  you can click on "change font size" or something like that.  There are two settings. Click on the larger one.

darlaj2

Quote from: Hat on April 24, 2007, 06:41:24 PM
When I think of Windows Vista I always think of this Apple Commercial.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

Click on the one called Security.

I love it!

Now I will say that with Vista--this does get on your nerves.  No matter what you do, or where you go on the 'net, you get a pop-up screen that you will have to click on "allow" or "deny".  I got a window that popped up yesterday saying that my 30 day free trial needs to be upgraded.  I am hoping it is for that "allow or deny" program so that after 30 days it will not pop up any longer.  Other than that feature--it is like XP, just more enhanced.

LarryTheCucumber

darlaj--

sorry, the 30 day free trial is not for that popup box.

what you are dealing with are the new 'security measures' built into windows vista.

there is a way to disable that if you want to, but then you're right back to the same vulnerabilities as windows xp.

so much for a user-friendly interface  :o

darlaj2

Well, at the moment, my husband is having major trouble with his XP, so I guess I should be happy to have that annoying little screen...?

darlaj2

...I just want to add that I have really enjoyed Vista so far.  The little security thing is becoming a normal thing for me and I don't notice it much any more.  I like Vista.

Ashlee

Yeah, it was annoying at first to me, but it just takes a sec to click ok and it's done.

joyeuse

We bought a new computer and its vista, but i cant see the difference. Im a novice with computer. What can i do. I tried to download msn messenger but its not working

Ashlee

MSN may not have updated yet.  You can wait for it to do so, or you can download something like Trillian. It is a mixture of Yahoo, MSN, AOL, and ICQ.

joyeuse

how do you do to downlod trillian?

Ashlee

joyeuse

Ashlee

I hope it worked for you joyeuse.  I have now had my laptop for 1 month, and I still really like it.  I'm not sure how I feel about McAfee virus protection.  It just really slows my computer down.  I don't know if it actually protects it or not.

Kyle

If your talking anti-virus software, I use Symantec Anti-virus Corporate.  Works wonderful.
Stupidity is a global epidemic.

joyeuse

Thanks, yeah its working now, but the norton antiviris make it slow. The norton one is free for 90 days, is there a good one free?