News:

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Once you go Barack, you never go back

Started by Legendary_roxy_girL, June 17, 2008, 08:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legendary_roxy_girL

KayV Blog" style="border:0

<!-- SpringWidgets | RSS Reader (#23) | HTML | Generated on 07/21/2008 --><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowNetworking="all" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" height="336" width="400" id="springwidgets_23" align="middle" data=

Chseeads

bishopnl

Once you go Barack, we don't want you back.
~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~
- Mark Twain, a Biography

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

- James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788

Legendary_roxy_girL

hahaha, aww how sad... you all don't like him?

<!-- SpringWidgets | RSS Reader (#23) | HTML | Generated on 07/21/2008 --><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowNetworking="all" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" height="336" width="400" id="springwidgets_23" align="middle" data=

bishopnl

~Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.~

~There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.~

Legendary_roxy_girL

haha, that's a loaded question.

I am not going to answer just because I don't like arguing about politics and I know if I say anything there is always something someone will like to argue with.

So let's just leave it at I am voting for him.

bishopnl

Quote from: Legendary_roxy_girL on June 17, 2008, 09:40:44 PM

I am not going to answer just because I don't like arguing about politics and I know if I say anything there is always something someone will like to argue with.

I wasn't trying to goad an argument out of you.  ;)  I don't do much arguing on GP nowdays.  I was just truly curious.

I've found that in general, young people vote for Obama because he's young, charasmatic, promises change, and represents a difference in that he's both A. new to Washington and/or B. black. 

Legendary_roxy_girL

Quote from: bishopnl on June 17, 2008, 09:44:47 PM
Quote from: Legendary_roxy_girL on June 17, 2008, 09:40:44 PM

I wasn't trying to goad an argument out of you.  ;)  I don't do much arguing on GP nowdays.  I was just truly curious.

I've found that in general, young people vote for Obama because he's young, charasmatic, promises change, and represents a difference in that he's both A. new to Washington and/or B. black. 

Yes, that's true in most case. But I have my reasons other than that. :)
For one, I wouldn't vote for John McCain, period. And if Hillary Clinton was the democrat nominee I would vote for her. It just is purely what they stand for.

jdcord

Essentially, in this country (or any "Democracy", for that matter) when you vote for any candidate in an election you are basically just answering the following question:

"Which one of these people do you most want interfering in virtually every aspect of your life and forcing you (by threat of fines and imprisonment) to live and act in whatever ways they think are best?"

Therefore, as I've said before, an election can best be defined as basically the same choice that was famously given in the movie  Ghostbusters  - "Choose the form of the Destroyer"

:o    ............, ummmmmmmmmmm, ....... thanks, ... but, no thanks.

Wanda:   Two wrongs don't make a right.
Cosmo:   But three rights make a left,...

The Purple Fuzzy

I usually choose what I consider to be the lesser of the evils.

jdcord

Quote from: practicalme on June 18, 2008, 02:40:19 AM
I usually choose what I consider to be the lesser of the evils.

???

........ Isn't that what I just said?

*LOL*

(you just said it in a more "PC" way, that's all)   ;)

Legendary_roxy_girL

EricShane

Im Voting for Obama because he's black...

lol... jk... that'd be an Obomanation! - haha I made a joke!
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

Sis

jdcord

:laughat:                                          :laughhard:

bishopnl

Quote from: Legendary_roxy_girL on June 17, 2008, 10:01:52 PM
For one, I wouldn't vote for John McCain, period. And if Hillary Clinton was the democrat nominee I would vote for her. It just is purely what they stand for.

I don't plan to vote for McCain, either.  For starters, I live in Illinois, which unquestionably is going to Obama, so whatever vote I cast isn't going to make a dent in terms of where my states electors go.   And McCain is a big government politician and has leftist tendencies, so I don't know that I'd vote for him anyway.

But what, exactly, does Hillary stand for that Obama doesn't stand for?  They both stand for the same essentials--the only differences are that he's young, new to Washington, charasmatic, and promises change.  In terms of what he believes and the changes he plans to implement--they are the same basic changes Hillary Clinton would be making if she was elected as president.

Kyle

My dad is constantly saying he doesn't know how someone can call themselves Christian and vote Democrat.  He's under the belief that anyone who votes Democrat and is a Christian is in favor of abortion and gay marriages.

Myself?  I am voting for an independent candidate this term.
Stupidity is a global epidemic.

Legendary_roxy_girL

Quote from: Kyle on June 18, 2008, 01:51:21 PM
My dad is constantly saying he doesn't know how someone can call themselves Christian and vote Democrat.  He's under the belief that anyone who votes Democrat and is a Christian is in favor of abortion and gay marriages.

Myself?  I am voting for an independent candidate this term.

Those kinds of comments irritate me to death.
And imo, anyone that thinks like that, is closed-minded and doesn't really understand the concept of "Religion and Politics should not be mixed"

Do we force people to be Christians? Do we force them to pray, read the bible, women to wear skirts, not cut their hair.. and so on? No, those are convictions everyone holds in themselves.
Why then, should we restrict other people to other things. It's their decision and theirs alone, that is between them and God. It doesn't involve us at all. PERIOD.
I mean, do you approach someone in the streets about church, and start off saying what they can and cannot do? No, that is left for their own hearts and their own walk with God.

But I am not going to go into that to much, I have argued this so many times and it's pointless to get across.

My main argument to that is, there are A LOT more things to consider  in Democrat vs. Republican, besides Gay marriage and abortion. A LOT MORE. I am not going to limit myself to those two very small things, that for one DO NOT EFFECT me personally.

Legendary_roxy_girL

Quote from: bishopnl on June 18, 2008, 01:22:55 PM
Quote from: Legendary_roxy_girL on June 17, 2008, 10:01:52 PM
But what, exactly, does Hillary stand for that Obama doesn't stand for?  They both stand for the same essentials--the only differences are that he's young, new to Washington, charasmatic, and promises change.  In terms of what he believes and the changes he plans to implement--they are the same basic changes Hillary Clinton would be making if she was elected as president.

Right, and I would vote for her, if she were the candidate and not Obama.

bishopnl

Whoops...I misread and thought you said if Hillary Clinton were the nominee you would NOT vote for her. :oops:

As for your above gripes on religion and politics not mixing....

I do understand where you are coming from.  And I don't think people are putting their souls in jeopardy or anything to vote Democrat.

But consider this.  Your argument is that Obama is the best choice, b/c he will allow people the freedom of choice to choose for themselves.  However, Obama supports federal funding of abortion, and he also supports Roe v. Wade.  Neither Roe v. Wade nor federal funding are areas of "choice."  Federal abortion funding means that my tax dollars are used by Obama to end human life.  And Roe v. Wade takes away the right of each state to choose, for themselves, whether or not they want to legalize abortion. 

As for gay marriage, it's my earnest belief that the question of "marriage" shouldn't be left to the government at all.  While Obama does pay lip service to the notion that states should be free to choose whether or not they want to legalize gay marriage, his support of civil unions and anti-discrimination laws makes it clear which side his bread is buttered on.  Also, he has plainly stated that Romans chapter 1 is an "obscure" passage of scripture that is in essence nullified by Christ's sermon on the mount (even though Christ didn't address homosexuality in the SOTM)

In other words, Obama is business as usual.  He's not a new breed of politician...he's the same old breed hiding in new skin.  He's all for choice, as long as you make a choice he approves of.

Legendary_roxy_girL

Quote from: bishopnl on June 18, 2008, 09:35:39 PM
Whoops...I misread and thought you said if Hillary Clinton were the nominee you would NOT vote for her. :oops:

As for your above gripes on religion and politics not mixing....

I do understand where you are coming from.  And I don't think people are putting their souls in jeopardy or anything to vote Democrat.

But consider this.  Your argument is that Obama is the best choice, b/c he will allow people the freedom of choice to choose for themselves.  However, Obama supports federal funding of abortion, and he also supports Roe v. Wade.  Neither Roe v. Wade nor federal funding are areas of "choice."  Federal abortion funding means that my tax dollars are used by Obama to end human life.  And Roe v. Wade takes away the right of each state to choose, for themselves, whether or not they want to legalize abortion. 

As for gay marriage, it's my earnest belief that the question of "marriage" shouldn't be left to the government at all.  While Obama does pay lip service to the notion that states should be free to choose whether or not they want to legalize gay marriage, his support of civil unions and anti-discrimination laws makes it clear which side his bread is buttered on.  Also, he has plainly stated that Romans chapter 1 is an "obscure" passage of scripture that is in essence nullified by Christ's sermon on the mount (even though Christ didn't address homosexuality in the SOTM)

In other words, Obama is business as usual.  He's not a new breed of politician...he's the same old breed hiding in new skin.  He's all for choice, as long as you make a choice he approves of.

Haha, gotcha, gotcha. But I am not really worried about those issues. I look more on immigration issues and what not. My father is from El Salvador, and he isn't allowed to vote. Therefore I keep tabs on such things as does he, and I vote for him. It was my decision to do so, and I am happy with where I stand. This doesn't mean I believe against my Father, but still vote for him.. I think for myself as well and we discuss things. But mainly I just think religious people get so caught up in politics and try to justify the way they vote by using their religious beliefs as an excuse. Which in my opinion is just dumb. Nuff said :)

BroTrey

I wouldnt vote for him.... and I wont... has too many ties to racist people of multiple races, and it is a well known fact, that you ARE who you hang with.....or how do the older people like to say, birds of a feather....

anywho, I'm going third party canidate this year as well.... I will not vote for these ultra liberal democrats and democrat-lite (McCain) folk....   I would have voted Huckabee... but hes gone now :(
Please disregard this post as it's contents are probably in error.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Legendary_roxy_girL

I don't get the point of voting for an independant party, you might as well not vote at all... you know they will never win.

:roll:

BroTrey

this year is their most promising year..... 

why vote for those that are for allowing the double standard of a woman murdering her unborn child is ok and called abortion and her spouse killing the unborn child (which is equally his) is a crime worthy of jail time...just to name one of the many stupidities of the dem party....

the falsified mantra of the dems are for the poor man and the republicans are for the rich man, is a thing of the past, neither have been out for anyone but themselves in many decades.....

besides, the only thing the dems have brought us (either in congress or in the white house) has been higher taxes and social/moral deterioration.....
Please disregard this post as it's contents are probably in error.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Legendary_roxy_girL

why does it always come to abortion... I think people should just get over it. Seriously....
You see women going around saying, " I don't believe in abortion, it's against my religion" well isn't against your religion to have pre-marital sex?

People will inevitably do what they want to do.. regardless of a law or religious belief. Politics are OBVIOUSLY not going to change anyone's mind. So why go around saying that is your reason for voting the way you do. It doesn't make sense at all.