News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice? -Steven Wright

Main Menu

In Sharing 492, Have Your Cake And Eat It Too

Started by Chseeads, February 22, 2014, 11:32:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melody

This puppy has bad breath... lol  Down to going out only twice a night! If you don't count 5am... :yawn:

Roscoe

Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Chseeads

Lynx

Ugh.  This has been one of those mornings... I was going to stop by a local restaurant and pick up two sausage-egg-cheese biscuits, then go to church and type the bulletin, then drive the church bus.  Just as I was pulling out of the driveway, my phone buzzed - a text message from Miranda, who rides the bus with me (legal reasons, indemnity y'know) "You running late?"  Oh shoot... the time change! 

In my defense, in the many years I have been doing this stuff, this is the first time the time change ever caught me off guard. 

So I redirected to church immediately.  When I got there, we found the bus driver's side door lock was broken.  In the "locked" position of course.  Then halfway through the bus route the gas light came on.  Someone dropped the ball there, forgot to fill up after the long trips the youth group took Friday night and Saturday.  Then when I got to church I typed the bulletin during Sunday School, ignoring the howls of protest about it not being done yet.  Bleh. 

Maybe tonight will be better. 
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Lynx

In other news... With the weather finally warming up, some of you may be doing some grilling out.  Here's a good solution if the charcoal is damp.

http://www.gocomics.com/roseisrose/2014/03/09
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

The Purple Fuzzy

Heather

::throws grape at PF::

howdy all!!! I'm kicking some major tail at school. Made all A's on my tests and currently have all A's for the semester. Survived my last shift with the stepbrats. Adios!!! Never to [hopefully] see them again. Missed church this morning but did pop in online on a local church some friends attend. Went to a friends house for a small grill out. Cleaned house and waiting for the laundry to get done. Absolutely gorgeous weather here the last couple days. Hope it stays like this.
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

Chseeads

You beat me to the :grape:. 

It was 50 degrees today, but by golly it was a cold 50...brr.   

The 60s the next couple days...then 4-8 inches of snow Wednesday my phone currently says.  :smirk2:

Newsman

Lynx

Newsman!  You're not supposed to do that until the thread is locked!   :nono:

In local news, last night was better than yesterday morning. 

A week ago, at about 7:30am, a guy at work announced "Hey, only 39 and a half more hours to go!"  I informed him that could get him shot.  :P
"Do you sing at church?"

Roscoe

Good morning. :hi: Lord, is it Thursday (my friday) yet? Back at work, of course, trying to remind myself that I am thankful to have a job, in all actuality a great job.....but it ain't working real well. :smirk: Thank God for Dr. Pepper.....
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Lynx

Here Bobby.  Just change "coffee" to "Dr. Pepper" and here's you a great comic strip.
http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2006-10-18/

Print it out and hang it on your cubicle wall to... wait, you don't sit in an office staring at a computer all day.   Well hang it up next to your machine at work and... oh yeah, you don't work at a factory.  Well...  Um... Wanna trade jobs?  :teeth:
"Do you sing at church?"

The Purple Fuzzy

It's really, really, really foggy out this morning.
Thankful to have made the drive safely.

MsJennJenn

"When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

taco_harvell

If anyone every tries to tell you Thomas Jefferson was a "Christian" Founding Father you just tell them they are dead wrong and give them my number.

Been checking into incorporating our church, and found out that Thomas Jefferson wrote it into the Virginia Constitution that no religious organization had the right to incorporation. In 2005 Jerry Fallwell won a lawsuit saying that was unconstitutional but it didn't change Virginia's Constitution. So you can pay a huge sum for a meaningless paper saying your incorporated that really offers no legal protection to the church. All thanks to one of the earliest Democrats! :)
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

Melody

I don't understand.   Why would a local church want to be recognized as a business?

And how does prohibiting the secularizing of a religious group make him not a Christian?

Chseeads

I would be surprised if your church is not incorporated.

taco_harvell

Quote from: MellowYellow on March 10, 2014, 04:39:02 PM
I don't understand.   Why would a local church want to be recognized as a business?

And how does prohibiting the secularizing of a religious group make him not a Christian?
He felt religion had no right to the protection of incorporation. He also felt he needed to chop up the Bible and put it back together to fit his views. Incorporation offers legal protection to the church leaders (pastors, ministry) his view was they had no need or right to those protections.

It's like if you sue McDonald's you sue the corporation not a person. If they aren't incorporated you sue the owner. Not, being incorporated leaves the ministry open to any lawsuit against the church. Also, it affects property ownership. An incorporated church owns property as a group of members under the corporation. Unincorporated churches have to have their property in the name of the pastor or trustees. There are many more reasons I can list why incorporation is important to churches.

Also, many reasons I can list how Thomas Jeffersons views opposed Biblical Christianity.

Heather

blah blah blah. that's all i heard today.

I'm really kinda stressed about my parents. They are on a very hard road and one that doesn't look to be letting up any time soon and now my sister is pouting because they can't help her buy a car  :roll: I'm fairly certain I bought my first car at 20. It was only 2000 bucks but I earned it. She can't get a loan for any more than that and she doesn't want that kind of car. She feels entitled to a nicer car than that. Maybe she should have thought about that before she drank her way through the past 4 years........

Start AZ tomorrow. Only there half a day then I'm taking Brandon to wild, wonderful Richlands, VA to meet my Papaw.
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

Roscoe

Long day today. But it was so pretty when I got home,I had to fire up the grill for dinner. But, I cannot grill just a couple items, so I cooked half the freezer's contents. :smirk: Grilled marinated pork chops, steak, chicken kabobs.... it was delish. Good way to break in the grilling season- and break out the waistbands of my pants.  :P

Lynx

Bobby:  Leftovers can be delivered to my house.  COD.  :D

Today was such a nice day that I let my far-too-energetic dog off his lead, got out my bike and had a nice run with him down to the creek.  We both went in fifth gear down to the creek, and we both came back in about third gear. 
"Do you sing at church?"

Melody

Quote from: taco_harvell on March 10, 2014, 06:32:24 PM

He felt religion had no right to the protection of incorporation. He also felt he needed to chop up the Bible and put it back together to fit his views. Incorporation offers legal protection to the church leaders (pastors, ministry) his view was they had no need or right to those protections.

It's like if you sue McDonald's you sue the corporation not a person. If they aren't incorporated you sue the owner. Not, being incorporated leaves the ministry open to any lawsuit against the church. Also, it affects property ownership. An incorporated church owns property as a group of members under the corporation. Unincorporated churches have to have their property in the name of the pastor or trustees. There are many more reasons I can list why incorporation is important to churches.

Also, many reasons I can list how Thomas Jeffersons views opposed Biblical Christianity.

I sincerely don't have much knowledge in the subject.   While that may mean what it does now, it sounded like he didnt wantnchurches to become businesses manipulating economy under the name of the church. Seeing as that is what they came out of.  I don't know much of him really but I do know that much of the context in which laws were made back then is lost on our understanding based on our current systems.  I could see how 200 years ago not wanting a church to be a corporation would be valid.

Quote from: Chseeads on March 10, 2014, 04:50:19 PM

I checked. It is.

taco_harvell

Quote from: MellowYellow on March 11, 2014, 02:33:03 AM
Quote from: taco_harvell on March 10, 2014, 06:32:24 PM

I sincerely don't have much knowledge in the subject.   While that may mean what it does now, it sounded like he didnt wantnchurches to become businesses manipulating economy under the name of the church. Seeing as that is what they came out of.  I don't know much of him really but I do know that much of the context in which laws were made back then is lost on our understanding based on our current systems.  I could see how 200 years ago not wanting a church to be a corporation would be valid.

Quote from: Chseeads on March 10, 2014, 04:50:19 PM

I checked. It is.
Among the sayings and discourses imputed to him [Jesus] by his biographers, I find many passages of fine imagination, correct morality, and of the most lovely benevolence; and others again of so much ignorance, so much absurdity, so much untruth, charlatanism, and imposture, as to pronounce it impossible that such contradictions should have proceeded from the same being.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Short, April 13, 1820

He had issues with the church!

The list of quotes against God and scripture from letters and journals could feel books. It's been an interesting history lesson. While he wrote this in private yet praised relegion enough in public to make most think he was a Great  christian.

Lynx

You know that feeling you get in that moment when you realize there is a bill coming up that you forgot about?  Kind of like a burst of static in your brain, or maybe a mental connection overloaded and fried something... Fortunately I had enough to cover the bill, but I bet my blood pressure still hasn't come down.
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

I found something that very aptly illustrates that feeling I was talking about.

http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/1988/04/05
"Do you sing at church?"