What happens if you get scared half to death twice? -Steven Wright

Main Menu

We See What Car Roscoe Will Test Drive in Sharing 495

Started by mini, August 02, 2014, 01:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roscoe

:lol:
Dear geek/nerd:
Long before there were computers, there were nerds. These nerds specialized in, among other things, Morse code, radio waves, and rudimentary electronics such as vaccum tubes. Over the course of time, the . gov saw a chance to regulate something, and instituted Amatuer Radio, aka, "Ham Radio". These nerds, although often not familar with a computer in its entirety, can put together antenna systems that boggle the mind, and allow contact to be made with someone on the other side of the world with spare bits of wire and milliwatts.
As someone who is licensed as a ham, I will tell you that I am undoubtedly a nerd in the original sense- the sense it was used in before being stolen by computer nerds, which is a different subspecies, in every way.
To whit:
1) I have built antennas and communicated wirelessly across the world with them
2) I have vacuum tube electronics.
3)I have taken said electronics apart and actually repaired them (I will admit to letting the magic smoke out of a couple however)
4)  The only reason I have not dived into computer repair, ect. is because the only ones I have  are being used to store information that I do not wish to be lost. Therefore, I do not tinler with them until I figure all hope is lost.

So- go call your geek squad, and find some other term to steal, you nerd subspecies.
                                                                                                               Sincerely, The original nerd, aka ham radio operatior KF5TIE :hypocrite: :P
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

MsJennJenn

I just fell asleep on the first sentence of both of your posts.
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

The Purple Fuzzy

MelodyB

I find it amusing that our resident cop has a "ham" license.
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Roscoe

:pound: Not only that, but your resident cop has a love for bacon that is unequalled, and a love for Harleys (known as HOGS) that predates him being a cop. I, personally, find it quite fitting. :hypocrite:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Lynx

Wonder how many people will get the "magic smoke" reference... and why did you let it out? 

But yes, you qualify as a nerd. Congratulations. I think.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Roscoe

Quote from: Lynx on September 19, 2014, 05:20:35 AM
Wonder how many people will get the "magic smoke" reference... and why did you let it out? 

But yes, you qualify as a nerd. Congratulations. I think.
:hypocrite: I can assure you, letting out the magic smoke was NOT intentional. :biglaugh:

I'm back awake and off to drop Chey at school, then go over to Bro Papa's and help work on Fred the 51 Ford....

The Purple Fuzzy

sunlight

:attackhug: Be full of hugs!

Lynx

Well... it IS a kind of gas. :P Vacuum tubes don't operate with normal breathable air, they require a certain kind of gas.  If you open a vacuum tube you let out the gas.

And Bobby your nerdship is still in question.  The Council of Five is making inquiries into your ability to socialize.  Specifically you have social skills, which nerds are not supposed to possess.  Expect the inquisitor to come by sometime between now and a prime number of days from now.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

MsJennJenn

No his nerdship nor yours has never, nor will ever be in question. You ARE the Nerd Council of 2. :roll:
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-

The Purple Fuzzy

Quote from: Lynx on September 19, 2014, 02:54:57 PM
Well... it IS a kind of gas. :P Vacuum tubes don't operate with normal breathable air, they require a certain kind of gas.  If you open a vacuum tube you let out the gas.

And Bobby your nerdship is still in question.  The Council of Five is making inquiries into your ability to socialize.  Specifically you have social skills, which nerds are not supposed to possess.  Expect the inquisitor to come by sometime between now and a prime number of days from now.
He may be somewhat social, but he doesn't like crowds. He'll hardly go to family gatherings.

Roscoe

Why did that comment from Jenn seemed fair to middling snarky?!? :lol: :pound:

And Fuzzy's right. I'm much more social appearing online than in person...

And in sharing, I went to Bro Wilson's as I said earlier, and replaced the 5 gazillion bolts that Ford used to bolt the front end of their trucks together in 1951. Took us from around 9 am until nearly noon to get things aligned and bolted together and decide on some mild fabrication...we are getting closer to the big day of placing the engine in it. The engine is awesome. A 285+ horsepower 5.3 out of an '08 Tahoe, it'll make that old truck scoot and, since we are retaining the overdrive transmisson and fuel injection, it should get in the low to mid 20's for gas mileage. It'll look old and crusty- but run, drive and ride like a brand new truck. The inside will be black cherry on the metal work, with soft King Ranch style leather seats, carpeting, and sound deadening...

MsJennJenn

What?! Me?! :hypocrite:

And I too, am sooo much more social online then I am in person.
I hate meeting new people. lol
-Alexander Den Heijer-

Lynx

Quote from: MsJennJenn on September 19, 2014, 07:30:51 PM

Then never, ever take a job as a cashier. :P

That was the most fun I've ever had at work, when I was a cashier at Taco Bell many long years ago.  If they could have guaranteed me 40 hours a week instead of variable hours I might still be there, even at minimum wage.
"Do you sing at church?"

MsJennJenn

Did that for 6+ years. Probably why I dislike people now. Haha
-Alexander Den Heijer-

Lynx

Strange... I did it for 4+ years and loved it.  Maybe the people over there are different?
"Do you sing at church?"

MsJennJenn

Nope. Just means you are more extroverted. I'm highly introverted.
-Alexander Den Heijer-

Chseeads

Quote from: MsJennJenn on September 19, 2014, 07:30:51 PM

I just hate people, period.  lol  :smirk2:

Roscoe

It's a beautiful day. Sadly, I am stuck at work, inside. And there are those awful creatures that Cheesehead hates in my building. Morons.

The Purple Fuzzy

MsJennJenn

I did nothing today except go with the sis to get our produce co-op, and bought pot er pots for my FIVE plants that have been sitting at Moms. :thumbsup2:
-Alexander Den Heijer-

Chseeads

Discovered a few teeny tiny ticks on me while ago....  Got them tromping through weeds to fix the fence to move the cows back down the road.  Bah. 

We moved them down the road, then gotta move them across the road tomorrow afternoon. 

Grandma fell again....she was going to mop the floor.  My sister went over there to help my aunt get her up.

The Purple Fuzzy

Roscoe