News:

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

We now have a gate to fix, because of Isaac's driving in Sharing 4-7-6.

Started by Roscoe, December 28, 2012, 04:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

Who is Gene Watson, have I heard his songs before?

About the ham radio... do people still do that?  I thought Skype, IM, chat rooms and forums had replaced that long ago.  Let me know if you find anything interesting on the airwaves, I'm sincerely interested and curious.

One note about that though:  Radio Shack, originally THE place for ham radio fans to get parts, is no longer the place it used to be.  Now it's a basic consumer electronics store, carrying about the same things Wal-Mart has, but for 1.5 times the price.  At least.  I'd say the best bet is to get everything on amazon.com or elsewhere online.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Roscoe

Quote from: Psalm_97 on January 01, 2013, 12:01:03 AM
Who is Gene Watson, have I heard his songs before?

About the ham radio... do people still do that?  I thought Skype, IM, chat rooms and forums had replaced that long ago.  Let me know if you find anything interesting on the airwaves, I'm sincerely interested and curious.

One note about that though:  Radio Shack, originally THE place for ham radio fans to get parts, is no longer the place it used to be.  Now it's a basic consumer electronics store, carrying about the same things Wal-Mart has, but for 1.5 times the price.  At least.  I'd say the best bet is to get everything on amazon.com or elsewhere online.
Gene Watson is an old country singer...one of his big hits, if I recall, was "Farewell Party". This is a straight gospel album...I've always loved his singing. Check out youtube  for "Before the Hammers could ring". You are eccentric enough to enjoy it, like myself... :P
And yeah, there are still tons of hams...Alot of them are tech nerds that could build a radio with tissue paper, a spoon and a car battery.  :laughhard: Maybe a slight exaggeration, but you'd love it. It can be very technical which is my downfall. But it can also be a kick back and talk type of hobby too. I can take a 2 meter walkie talkie, hit a repeater and talk anywhere in the state..perfect for emergencies.
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Lynx

Like CB radio, chatrooms and forums...  :thumbsup2:

Any music nerds broadcasting?
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Roscoe

Hmmm....don't know. I know there's a couple of apostolic preachers that enjoy it as a hobby.
And it is a much refined CB radio...
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Lynx

Quote from: Roscoe on January 01, 2013, 01:37:26 AM
Hmmm....don't know. I know there's a couple of apostolic preachers that enjoy it as a hobby.
And it is a much refined CB radio...
I was referring less to the technology involved and more to the community of people who talk to each other, usually without ever meeting or knowing who each other is.
"Do you sing at church?"

Heather

i'm home. no more fireworks til the end of june. i may make it to midnight. probably won't. have to be back to the animal hospital at 7 am to work kennel.

my new years resolution is pay down debt and stay in church.
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

MelodyB

Well. We successfully made it into the new year.

No, I'm not tired of vacation, I was just ready to be doing something and out and about.

We went to Best Buy and looked around, and then the Dollar Tree. Subway for lunch...then on the way to church we went by Publix and got some grape juice bubbly. Went to church, had an excellent service that lasted a long time but was still over by 11, then went to Whataburger and rang in the new year there...came back home, drank the bubbly and watched a movie. Now it's nearly 3 and I'm wide awake.

Still don't know what day I'll be headed back home, but Donna said before Friday. So we will see. Kinda getting worried that if I stay too much longer the repercussions when I get back will be horrible. But it's beyond my control as I don't have a vehicle or bus ticket money, so trying not to worry about it too much. My parents are indeed alive. I have witnesses that have told me so.

So I guess that's enough. Lol
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

mini

Happy New Year!

I went to bed around 9:30, woke up around midnight when every nut in town was shooting off fireworks, and slept in till 7.

Good day so far.  Now to get a few honey doo's done, and make a huge pot of gumbo.
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Chseeads

Quote from: minnesota68 on January 01, 2013, 01:40:36 PM
Good day so far.  Now to get a few honey doo's done, and make a huge pot of gumbo.

Here comes honey doo doo......

Roscoe

Lord. It is another year. I went to bed around 10, slept straight through any and all celebrations and drove to work. Thus far, that is my accomplishments for the year. I'm thinking I am setting the bar too high, time to slow down a bit....

mini

I agree.  If you set the bar very high, there is no way you will get over it...
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Heather

Got up. Walked some dogs. Home now. Brandon's going to get breakfast. Then I'm napping.

Roscoe

mini

Lynx

By staying up late and liberal use of chocolate I have reset to 2nd shift days again. Vacation's almost over. 

The first week was hectic and fun.  The second week was fun until Thursday, then it got boring.  I'm so ready to go back to work tomorrow.
"Do you sing at church?"

Chseeads

An awning over grandma's door fell down from the snow.  Had to go take it the rest of the way down and such.

Lynx

I found a really good way to start the day, but it won't last long...

1/2 glass of homemade boiled custard
2 large dark chocolate oatmeal cookies, crumbled
3/4 cup additional oatmeal

Mix all together and cook in the microwave.  Chocolate oatmeal.  Or something.

It won't last long because we only have a bit more homemade boiled custard and chocolate oatmeal cookies left.
"Do you sing at church?"

The Purple Fuzzy

I'm making fresh apple bread and chicken spaghetti.  All my kids will be here today.

Melody

Happy New Year GPers. (:

I barely made it till midnight this year.  The kids were adamant that we stay up with them.  We watched movies and ate snacks. 

We all slept in terribly late and now Nathan and the kids are outside sledding and I'm about to make spelt waffles and see if I can handle them.  Lots of controversy on them as far as celiac/gluten free subjects go. I found a good looking recipe that calls for seltzer water but who has that lying around that doesn't drink alcohol?  So I had to find another recipe... lol

Mel, I see a very awesome truth in your vacation.  That your parents can handle themselves, at least for a few weeks.  This is great news!  Here's to hoping that truth will = you not feeling like everything rests on you.  Because they can handle it, even if they demand otherwise. 

I've always wanted to do a study on what it really means to honor your father and mother.  Has anyone else ever done one? 

Melody

Quote from: The Purple Fuzzy on January 01, 2013, 06:18:17 PMI'm making fresh apple bread and chicken spaghetti.  All my kids will be here today.

How very lovely. ♥  I know it will be grand!

Roscoe

Quote from: The Purple Fuzzy on January 01, 2013, 06:18:17 PM
I'm making fresh apple bread and chicken spaghetti.  All my kids will be here today.
Not true. "one" adopted son isn't there. *sniff*
Not only no apple bread, but "mama fuzzy" has forgotten me too.:cry2: :sadbounce:

Lynx

Their apple bread is good.  Their sweet potato bread was better.  And, from what I understand, easier to get out of the pan without it falling apart.
"Do you sing at church?"

The Purple Fuzzy

Only one if my adopted kids are here today... I was only counting biological. ;)

Heather

After a 4 hour nap and some ice cream. I'm ready to go back to bed.

MelodyB

Well...mom and dad called today and we had a lovely conversation. :smirk2:

They really showed their true colors. I won't get into it. I was going home soon anyway, but I'll be going on the Greyhound home again. Far be it for me to have some time off. They act like its been so terrible when last week they said everything was just peachy and fine.

I have enjoyed myself, but I have a feeling when I get home I will regret ever leaving because of te guilt trips and the torment I'll have to face because I left.

It's not fair and I'm so tired of it all.

Anyway. Football game is on, we are fixing to watch our favorite team play in the orange bowl. Yay! Go Seminoles!
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?