News:

The staff of Godplace.com welcomes you to our little house of fun. If you have a spiritual need, feel free to  contact any staff member.

Main Menu

No Big Words, Isaac, ol' son, because Roscoe's dense in SHARING 4-7-1!

Started by Roscoe, October 19, 2012, 01:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melody

Do we have anyone's in harm's way of the hurricane?

I talked to my sister yesterday, who is 15min. from Baltimore.  She was fine as of then.  Haven't heard since.

kkay

I was gonna go to the store today BUT probably not now. People here are going crazy, I'm sure.

We have some errands to do after work but it'll probably depend on the weather. A lot of things are closed. I called Medicare this morning for one of my claimants and the message said they're closed :o

At any rate, work is done for the day so I'll probably study now.

Chseeads

Our fearless leader behind the scenes Jerry, and Elfin are east coasters.

Chseeads

MelodyB

Yeah, Renee was already getting water in her basement yesterday.
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

kkay

Seth - are you getting rain down there? My mom said they had rain/sleet this morning. We had ice/sleet earlier but I think it might have stopped. Supposed to have more tomorrow and maybe Thursday. 56,000 without power here.

Chseeads

SippinTea

Renee posted elsewhere this morning that they came through "unscathed - didn't even lose power (a couple small flickers when the wind was its highest, but nothing that even reset the clocks)."

I have a fair number of friends in areas with very high winds, but so far no one has checked in with any serious damage or harm. Thankful.

:beret:
"Going somewhere means leaving somewhere. Choosing something means choosing against other things. Gaining something means losing something else. And between the old and new--the 'was' and the 'not yet'--there exists only one thing: a very frightening journey called faith."
--taken from the book Coming Up For Air

Lynx

Howdy y'all.

I did some "market research" by going around asking coworkers if they thought fried pies would sell at work.  I intend to make some for a church fundraiser.  The general response was "don't ask unless you have some... cause now I'm hungry!"  :roll:  So guess what I'm making today...
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

sunlight

:grin:

let me know how they turn out. and turn your grease down!
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

Lynx

Yes, I got that impression last time. 

Or... I could just say that our stove is better than yours.  :P 

Everyone was hollering for chocolate, but I am not whipping up a batch of chocolate pudding just for a test run.  If I did, I'd eat the rest of it.  I know me too well.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Lynx

One thing about it, I learned WHY you are supposed to "cut" the shortening in.  The little bitty lumps of shortening is what makes the crust flaky when they melt while frying/baking.
"Do you sing at church?"

sunlight

no you wouldn't. you would get tired of the grease much before that. :grin:
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

Lynx

No no no, I would eat the rest of the chocolate pudding - without making it all into pies.

But cancel what I said about chocolate pies... I just found a bottle of chocolate topping in the things-I-found-at-the-salvage-grocery box.  Couldn't hurt to try it.  And if I can find any (acck, pfft!) milk chocolate around here, I'll try a s'mores pie as well.
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

Well the s'mores pie was a bust - literally.  Marshmallow + heat = mushroom cloud.  But falling back on previous high-heat experience (which is usually like falling back full length on a set of steak knives, but...) I could cook it at higher heat and cook the crust before the marshmallow puffs up.  If I can stand the smoke in my eyes from the hotter grease...

All the rest turned out good - strawberry/balsamic jam, pear preserves, chocolate/peanut butter topping, sweet potato casserole (from a can) all fried up nicely. 
"Do you sing at church?"

taco_harvell

The wind here this morning was terrible. It was so strong while we were working trucks that it was blowing around boxes which were 30 lbs plus. felt like it was going to flip my van a few times to. No snow though. :-(

I am tired. gonna grab a nap.
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

Lynx

I dreamed about snow last night.  Which was all well and good... until I woke up to cold reality.  :(
"Do you sing at church?"

The Purple Fuzzy

Isaac, you have some strange ideas for pies.  Whatever happend to normal ones, like chocolate, apple, peach, apricot and lemon? :lol:

MsJennJenn

Quote from: The Purple Fuzzy on October 30, 2012, 07:22:25 PM
Isaac, you have some strange ideas for pies.  Whatever happened to normal ones, like chocolate, apple, peach, apricot and lemon? :lol:

That's what I was thinking. lol
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

Lynx

What?  You've never had a sweet potato fried pie?  It was the best of the lot!

I was using what I had on hand.  When I go into production mode Friday I'll have apple.  I gave Chel the last jar of apricot.  I have no love for artificial flavoring in canned lemon pie filling.  Chocolate I have covered.  Peach... refer to the comment about lemon.  Canned peaches are pallid, flavorless things.
"Do you sing at church?"

Melody

Isaac, making lemon or lime curd (homemade filling) isn't difficult and it keeps.  I think you would rather like it.

Here is a recipe that makes lime curd for lime cheesecake bars.  I've made this and gotten great results.  I have all other times been a cheesecake failure but since this is a sheet cake of cheesecake, I had success!

http://www.confessionsofacookbookqueen.com/2011/05/guest-post-key-lime-swirl-cheesecake-bars//

Chseeads

Melody

ok.  You guys have me in a baking mood.   I'm going to go make 2 batches of choc. chip cookies. 

One being the regular recipe that's on the pkgs of chips.  The other is one that replaces the b.soda? for cornstarch.  I've made both already but I want to test them side by side and I have a lady at church that is my cookie tester. 

Roscoe

Well. I made it through the longest day ever.  :smirk2: And I even braved Walmart's horde of idiotic folk and picked up a handful of things we needed. Think we are gonna have meatball subs for dinner. While Lou fixes them (hopefully) I shall be studying and begging God for a crumb to share Wednesday night, since Bro Papa has advised me I'm needed again.
And y'all need to stop with the baking. I'm already fatter than I have a right to be, and everytime you say "bake" my mind associates the word "eat" with it, and I'm off to munchies land. So, it's y'all's fault that I'm fat. And I recently read a study that proved that, on average, fat people are friends with OTHER fat people. So, to recap- I'm your friend. I am fat. I am not alone. You,too, are fat. Deal with it. Better yet, bake a goodie and come to my house, we'll all console one another.  :fork: :freaky2:

:P :laughhard:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Chseeads

Fat is as fat does.

Or something.

:smirk2:

Earlier I feared I was dying of botulism.  Now perhaps I'm not.  But it's hard to say with me.  I'm very delicate and fragile.