News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

Texting in Church

Started by Dew-Ax-238, December 12, 2010, 04:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

Quote from: apostolic_girl04 on December 23, 2010, 01:56:03 PM
I'll admit, I've done the "T" word in church but it was mostly me asking where my friend was. She's always late to church and everything else ;)

I know people who will text the sound board to correct the spelling of the projectionist.

One time a preacher preached against texting in church and people started texting his phone while he was preaching. Funny, he forgot to turn it off first.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Backseat Radio

I agree with what several have already said here concerning use of cell phone/texting in church.  It depends on how and why they're using the phone in the service.  Reading alone with the phone's bible translations, taking notes on the phone, having it there because your on call from work, texting the sound crew necessary information  are things that I can see as good reason for making use of a cell phone in church.  I've even seen where one of the elders checked voice mails and texts while he was giving the announcements at the end of service because one of the families in the church had a young man in the hospital on the verge of death and he wanted to be sure he had the latest info to give the church.

Course I'm used to church services that the sermon comes complete with power point presentation so use of technology in services doesn't bother me.

Scott

I am more offended by Sound men who play on Facebook during church than by people texting.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Babs

i have texted in church. and it was to someone on here lol
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

He-Man

I always found it useful for staying awake.
%41%61%72%6F%6E

Backseat Radio

Quote from: He-Man on December 29, 2010, 05:12:36 AM
I always found it useful for staying awake.

I don't have trouble staying awake in services... at least not apostolic services.  never saw how anyone could sleep through an apostolic service.  Church of Christ on the other hand... ya I can see how you might fall asleep in church.

kkay

Quote from: Backseat Radio on December 29, 2010, 05:45:33 AM

I don't have trouble staying awake in services... at least not apostolic services.  never saw how anyone could sleep through an apostolic service.  Church of Christ on the other hand... ya I can see how you might fall asleep in church.

I've been to Apostolic church services that were less than exciting. I know of people who fall asleep because they work 3rd shift then come in right after work. Not that every service has to be exciting, but sometimes people need a wake up call :updown:

lojack

Quote from: Amelia Bedelia on December 12, 2010, 06:22:59 PM
When I used to attend church I rarely ever touched my phone but occasionally there would be one person I'd text who was also in the service but didn't sit near me.  Never texted someone outside though or anything unrelated to the service.

I think you can text without being disrespectful or distracting to those around you and you should never be so busy texting that you are no longer paying attention

Used to attend church?  hmmmmm  :sadbounce:
Date me before i become famous :o  and for the people who say they can't see my avatar...   http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0092yi2.jpg

Lynx

Quote from: World Traveler on December 12, 2010, 06:32:24 PM
Quote from: Dew-Ax-238 on December 12, 2010, 05:12:25 AM
My church is small, it runs at max 50 people.  I know of at least 7 that text during the whole service... It is so distracting cause you can hear Click, Click, Click....

My, how times have changed. That "click, click, click" used to be people clipping their fingernails during church.
Yeah, you'd be amazed how much a person can see from the platform.  Amazed and probably a bit depressed. 

[hobbyhorse]
Now if some of them would get in the prayer room before church, they'd already have a spiritual head start and there would be no need to keep them focused. Their minds wouldn't be wandering to texting or trimming their nails.
[/hobbyhorse]
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Amelia Bedelia

Quote from: lojack on January 14, 2011, 03:27:53 AM
When I used to attend church I rarely ever touched my phone but occasionally there would be one person I'd text who was also in the service but didn't sit near me.  Never texted someone outside though or anything unrelated to the service.

I think you can text without being disrespectful or distracting to those around you and you should never be so busy texting that you are no longer paying attention

LOL its not what you're thinking I'm sure, no sadbounce necessary   :thumbsup2:

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Quote from: Amelia Bedelia on January 15, 2011, 12:52:41 AM

:great:

Feed The Bachelors 2010

lojack

Quote from: Amelia Bedelia on January 15, 2011, 12:52:41 AM

whew!!
Date me before i become famous :o  and for the people who say they can't see my avatar...   http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0092yi2.jpg

taco_harvell

In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

Babs

Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

mini

I dont text during church...but I have gotten a few texts during church.  Mainly when my pastor was out of town and figured I was about to start preaching...he will text and say "I hope your phone is off!"
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Heather

Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

EricShane

well, obviously its not texting thats the problem, its the spiritual attitude that people think they have better things to do, than to get thier mind on God during church.. because, when it wasnt texting it was balancing your checkbook, passing notes, clipping your nails, and God forbid as one woman did here, trimming the ends of her hair with nail clippers during the preaching!!! LOL
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Quote from: EricShane on February 28, 2011, 06:45:54 AM
well, obviously its not texting thats the problem, its the spiritual attitude that people think they have better things to do, than to get thier mind on God during church.. because, when it wasnt texting it was balancing your checkbook, passing notes, clipping your nails, and God forbid as one woman did here, trimming the ends of her hair with nail clippers during the preaching!!! LOL

:thumbsup2:  Great post! :)

Feed The Bachelors 2010

EricShane

Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you