News:

You can reach your profile and change its settings here.

Main Menu

Flying Car Prepares for Test Drive

Started by The Purple Fuzzy, January 12, 2009, 06:22:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Purple Fuzzy

How cool would this be?!?

Flying Car Prepares for Test Drive

Is it a car? Is it a plane? Actually, it's both. The first flying car, equally at home in the sky or on the road, is scheduled to take to the air next month.

If it survives its first test flight, the Terrafugia Transition, which can transform itself from a two-seater car to a plane in 15 seconds, is expected to land in showrooms in about 18 months' time.

Its manufacturer says it is easy to keep and run since it uses normal unleaded fuel and will fit in a garage.

Carl Dietrich, who runs the Massachusetts-based Terrafugia, said: "This is the first really integrated design where the wings fold up automatically and all the parts are in one vehicle."

The Transition, developed by former NASA engineers, is powered by the same 100 bhp engine on the ground and in the air.

Terrafugia claims it will be able to fly up to 500 miles on a single tank of gas at a cruising speed of 115 mph. Up to now, however, it has only been tested on roads at up to 90 mph.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,479167,00.html

Sis

Wouldn't it be fun to be a test pilot?

The Purple Fuzzy

I think I'd rather be a pilot AFTER they tested it and got all the bugs out. ;)

It sounds like something my son would LOVE to do.  He likes to do dangerous stuff. :smirk:

EricShane

Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

iridiscente

Chseeads

Quote from: iridiscente on January 12, 2009, 11:50:36 PM
Ben would want one of these....

Anything would be an improvement over that two-tone pink bug.

:hypocrite:

mini

This idea has been tossed around for ages....there was a article at the airport recently about the history of flying cars.  Ill see if I can find a link to it.
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

The Purple Fuzzy

Chseeads

Might help keep ya from runnin over deers.....

mini

Knowing you, you would start wiping out the eagles.... :grin:
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Chseeads

I came relatively close to running into an eagle one time anyways...LOL

Sis

It would feel like you were in a Jetsons cartoon.

almondjoy

MelodyB

Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Sis

Brother Dad

Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

almondjoy

CDAGeek

Quote from: MelodyB on January 15, 2009, 06:53:28 PM
I want one.

The moment I  started mentioned the article to my mom, her exact response was "No."

...I wonder if you'll need a pilots license to legally fly one?

Sis

CDAGeek

Anything cool or interesting is something I generally want to get my hands on. The more it does, and the less practical it is, the more I want it. This is why I have a binary watch.

Melody

that is cool.  I would so drive/fly that.... but not for testing...lol 

the real question is: 

Would it fit my 6'8" (250lb.. don't tell him I shared that) husband?

mini

If its anything like most planes...no!  LOL

mini

The Purple Fuzzy

mini

Very much so.  Its been tried so many times...I didnt think it would ever fly.  But for 194G, you can have one too!