News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice? -Steven Wright

Main Menu

My New(est) Hobby...(lotsa pics, be warned)

Started by mini, May 26, 2009, 02:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mini

I have been meddling in the dark arts of guitars for several years, and still have a knowledge of about 0 on how to play.  Being the ADHD person that I am, my talents run short...LOL

I was telling a buddy (the revered bishop of Spiro, OK, and my identical twin in mentality and onerousness, James Stewart) one day my secret desire to restore or refinish a old electric guitar, and told him that if he ever ran across a cheap old electric that I wanted it.  Someday, I should post the picture of him with a drum on the top of his head...LOL  I'm sending him the link to this post.  He will kill me for comparing our mentality.  Anyways, I told him my price range (no more than $50) and said "Sic' em..."

He called me later and said he found me a guitar.  He warned me and said it was uglier than sin warmed over.  After describing it to me over the phone and sending me a blurry picture, I told him to get it for me and we would go from there.

Heres what I got:

A Harmony Rocket, single gold foil DeArmond pickup.

A close up of the "custom" sunburst paintjob someone did...

Back...they did a "custom" sunburst on here too...

Front of headstock...

Back of headstock...

Moments before I start disassembley...

Neck is off....

Starting to strip the old paint off...

Paint is coming off quickly!

Beautiful blonde wood is showing! :grin:

Showing how easy the paint is coming off.  On a side note, I dropped a bit of the paint I scraped on my toe and dun had a glory hallelujah fit!  :ugly:  It burned!

Chelleebelle photo sniped me...LOL

More wood showing.

In the sun, but not totally clean.  The wood hid under the old paint is amazing.  Simple, but pretty.

Back 99% clean:

Front half clean...

More pics as I dive deeper into this project.

-mini
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

SippinTea

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. That poor, poor guitar! The paint job was... interesting. :o

Mini, if your family ever makes it out to Oregon, we've got a guitar manufacturer near us that gives truly fascinating tours of their plant. I don't even play guitar, but I was completely intrigued by observing guitars in process... all the way from sheets of wood on a rack to those gorgeous beauties hanging in the showroom. Every single stage was a precise work of art, and one mis-step along the way meant the whole project to that point was dumped in the trash. Some things just can't be un-done. And apparently a mistake in making a guitar is that way.

Looking forward to more pics of your project! :)

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

Sis

Awsome. Keep the pics coming. Got me hooked on the story.  :great:

EricShane

wow, yes this is Awesome!

I dont think it was that ugly before.. lol

but, Im excited to see what your going to do with it!
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

Gingerale

Gingerale

Sis

mini

Seeing I am male, straight, and happily married...I hope not!  LOL
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Gingerale

BeccaBoo

Do Justly, Love Mercy, Walk Humbly. Micah 6:8

Sis

mini

I have not had a chance to work on it lately.  Very busy with family, church, and work.  :sadbounce:

sunlight

:attackhug: Be full of hugs!

Tsalagi

SippinTea

*wipes the drool off the guitar and Tsoggi's chin*

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

Ashlee

The Purple Fuzzy

mini

No...*sigh*

One of these days, I will slow down long enough to finish it...sorry about the delay... :sadbounce:

sunlight

nothing as sad as a half told story... :grin:

The Purple Fuzzy

mini

No...I had a offer from a guy for more money than what I had tied up in it.  He saw it, wanted it bad, and offered cash.  So...I parted with it.

:(

mini

Just noticed, im wearing the same t-shirt today...LOL

sunlight

Ha, This is the exact thread I was wondering about when I saw the other one... :grin: At least the half untold story has a somewhat partial ending...