Wanted: Creole Recipes ☺

Started by Melody, June 21, 2011, 05:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melody

As a true northerner, I really have no clue what is "authentic" creole, and cajun, (not even sure if those are the same thing...lol) food.  Is Zatarain's brand the real flavor? 

I would LOVE to suprise my hubby with an authentic pot of Gumbo one night.  He went to LA and had some a couple of years ago and said it was amazing.  But I don't know where start since I don't know what authentic is.  It's like trying to make authentic Mexican food only to find all these American and Tex-Mex version recipes.

Can ya help a girl out, my Southern peeps? 

Babs

Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

Babs

My latest blog post.

Melody

Thanks Barb!  I'm excited, I'm going to start getting things for it and try to not let on.  I have to order andouilli from down south.

I have 2 questions:

One recipe says that fresh boiled crawfish are good in it. Do you all do all of this in one day? 

Another recipe calls for seafood tails.  Do you eat the tails or are they just for flavor? I thought stuff like shrimp had very short cook times or it'd be tough.  So I've never cooked shrimp longer than a few minutes, but I'd have to cook it for a very long time in Gumbo.  ??

Babs

Quote from: MellowYellow on June 21, 2011, 06:28:35 PM
Thanks Barb!  I'm excited, I'm going to start getting things for it and try to not let on.  I have to order andouilli from down south.

I have 2 questions:

One recipe says that fresh boiled crawfish are good in it. Do you all do all of this in one day? 

Another recipe calls for seafood tails.  Do you eat the tails or are they just for flavor? I thought stuff like shrimp had very short cook times or it'd be tough.  So I've never cooked shrimp longer than a few minutes, but I'd have to cook it for a very long time in Gumbo.  ??

Add shrimp, crab and oysters and cook for 20 minutes on low heat.  you only put the shrimp and such in at the last.

and this is the recipe i use the most but modify it to my tastes

Cajun Seafood Gumbo

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups flour

1 cup oil

3 cups chopped onion

1 cup celery

1 cup green pepper

4 cloves garlic chopped

1 teaspoon Tony Chacheres Creole Seasoning

2 1/2 quarts seafood stock

3 bay leaves

2 cups andouille chopped

1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce

3 tablespoons parsley

3 pound shrimp tails peeled

1 pound crab meat

1 pound oysters shucked

Chopped green onions
Directions
Chop onions, green pepper, celery, garlic and set aside covered.

In a heavy pot or skillet add flour and oil to make a roux.

Cast iron cookware is best but any heavy bottomed pot will work. Brown to milk chocolate color.

Add onions, green pepper, celery and garlic to roux when it gets to the right color and saute on low heat for 5-6 minutes. This is the holy trinity that is so important in gumbo making. Slowly add hot stock to the mixture stirring constantly until all is added. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer.

Cook for 30 minutes then add bay leaves, andouille, seasoning, Tabasco and parsley. Continue to simmer on low for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Add shrimp, crab and oysters and cook for 20 minutes on low heat. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.

Serve with rice and sprinkle with green onions. Try it with toasted whole grain bread. A fresh garden salad with balsamic vinegarette goes nicley with this down home Cajun Seafood Gumbo.

yes i do it all in one day because most of it is pretty easy, but i also am no longer homeschooling kids and taking care of house and hubby lol

some of it you can do a day ahead, like cut it all up and such. making the stock is something you can do a day or so ahead if needed

My latest blog post.

Melody

*googles how to shuck an oyster*

I know how to shuck and detasle and rouge corn...

Babs

My latest blog post.

Babs

Cajun Lasagna

INGREDIENTS

10 uncooked lasagna noodles
2 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
1 bag (12 oz) frozen cooked deveined peeled miniature/tiny shrimp (tails off), thawed, rinsed and drained
1/2 lb smoked spicy sausage (andouille or kielbasa), cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 jar (16 oz) Alfredo pasta sauce (i make my own)
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 oz)
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (2 oz)
2 table spoons chopped fresh parsley, if desired

DIRECTIONS
1 Heat oven to 350°F. Cook and drain noodles as directed on package. 2 Spread 1 cup of the tomatoes in ungreased 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish. Top with 5 noodles, overlapping slightly as needed. Layer with half each of the remaining tomatoes, the shrimp, sausage, Alfredo sauce and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over top. 3 Cover dish with foil. Bake about 30 minutes or until center is hot and bubbly. Uncover; bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle with parsley.
To reduce the spiciness, swap the sausage with 2 cups of cut-up cooked chicken instead.
Save preparation time by using mini lasagna (mafalda) noodles and stirring the ingredients together to make an oven casserole.
=========================================

Cajun Shrimp Lasagna Roll-Ups Recipe

Ingredients

* 1-1/4 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
    * 1 medium onion, chopped
    * 2 tablespoons olive oil
    * 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
    * 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
    * 3 garlic cloves, minced
    * 1/4 cup butter, cubed
    * 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    * 2 cups milk
    * 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
    * 1 cup diced fully cooked andouille sausage
    * 12 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
    * 4 ounces pepper Jack cheese, shredded
    * 1 teaspoon paprika

Directions

* In a large skillet, saute shrimp and onion in oil until shrimp turn pink. Stir in tomatoes and Cajun seasoning; set aside.
    * In a large saucepan, saute garlic in butter for 1 minute. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheddar cheese until smooth. Add sausage; set aside.
    * Spread 1/3 cup shrimp mixture over each noodle. Carefully roll up; place seam side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with cheese sauce. Sprinkle with pepper Jack cheese and paprika.
    * Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
=================================

CAJUN LASAGNA

FOR THE SAUCE:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 lb. ground venison or beef
1/2 lb. andoulli sausage coarsely chopped (i'm sure you could use any
sort of sausage, but andoulli is what makes it Cajun)
1 chopped onion
1 chopped jalapeno
1 teaspoon minced garlic
16 oz. diced Italian tomatoes
8 oz. tomato sauce
6 oz. tomato paste
1/2 tsp basil
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp oregano
salt to taste
red pepper to taste
black pepper to taste
FOR THE LASAGNA:
1 pack ready-to-bake lasagna noodles
1 (16 oz) container (1 lb) ricotta cheese
6 small or 3 large slices mozzarella cheese*
1 cup parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350-degrees.

TO PREPARE THE SAUCE:
Heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat, brown ground meat and sausage for about 5 minutes.

Add onion, jalapeno and garlic and saute for another 5 minutes or until onions are tender. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and all dry ingredients. Turn down heat and simmer for at least an hour...the longer the better.

TO PREPARE THE LASAGNA:
In a 13x9-inch baking dish (glass works well), spread 1/3 of the meat sauce. Top with 3 of the noodles...they curl up when they hit the hot sauce, so you might need to break them. Spread 1/2 of the ricotta over the noodles, then top with 1/3 of the meat sauce, another layer of noodles, the rest of the ricotta, the rest of the meat sauce, the parmesan, then top with the mozzarella.

Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes.

My latest blog post.