News:

Did you sleep well? No, I made a few mistakes. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

What David Sang About

Started by RainbowJingles, April 07, 2011, 09:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RainbowJingles

Just a thought...

Okay...  sometimes when reading Psalms, I find some very interesting things.  I know that David didn't write every chapter, but there are some chapters that nearly make me laugh when I think of putting them to music.

Has anyone else ever paused to think about this?

My mother and father have forsaken me...

Kill my enemies, Lord...

With no disrespect intended, I wonder if David was perhaps seen as crazy by more than just his wife at times?  Kind of like those cutting edge songwriters of our day?

Anyone else notice any Psalms like that?
Can you imagine how they would sound if they were modernized, set to music, and sang in church?

taco_harvell

Psalm 35 came to mind when I read this. I just can't picture using parts of it in worship service.  lol

Psalm 35

4Let them be confounded and put to shame that seek after my soul: let them be turned back and brought to confusion that devise my hurt.

5Let them be as chaff before the wind: and let the angel of the LORD chase them.

6Let their way be dark and slippery: and let the angel of the LORD persecute them.

7For without cause have they hid for me their net in a pit, which without cause they have digged for my soul.

8Let destruction come upon him at unawares; and let his net that he hath hid catch himself: into that very destruction let him fall.

Met a new convert who told me he was praying Psalm 35 over his enemies. When he said it all I could think was this guy really wants to get rid of his enemies. He had a run in with the police before getting saved and one cop was kind of harassing him so he was praying it over the police too. I told him we need some of the police so please don't pray it over all of them. lol
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

Lynx

Different times, different measures.  People were all the time overthrowing the ruling government by force and if you wanted to kill someone bad enough a lot of times you could.  Here in USA most of us don't have any of the problems that caused that psalm. 

I can imagine someone in a third world country today praying something like that, and the prayer being spiritually justifiable before God.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Babs

Love the thread RJ!

I would imagine a GP choir singing most of these by heart, together in harmony lol
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

The Purple Fuzzy

With Seth as choir director. ;)

Babs

And can call it "sing-a-longs with Seth" something to hate all with lol
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

RainbowJingles

Quote from: Babs on April 07, 2011, 11:15:39 PM
Love the thread RJ!

I would imagine a GP choir singing most of these by heart, together in harmony lol

Thanks, Barb.  Just made me think for sure!  :-)

Niki

Quote from: RainbowJingles on April 07, 2011, 09:15:44 PM
Just a thought...

Okay...  sometimes when reading Psalms, I find some very interesting things.  I know that David didn't write every chapter, but there are some chapters that nearly make me laugh when I think of putting them to music.

Has anyone else ever paused to think about this?

My mother and father have forsaken me...

Kill my enemies, Lord...

With no disrespect intended, I wonder if David was perhaps seen as crazy by more than just his wife at times?  Kind of like those cutting edge songwriters of our day?

Anyone else notice any Psalms like that?
Can you imagine how they would sound if they were modernized, set to music, and sang in church?

There actually is a song with one of those lines in it. A black gospel song from the 80s. It's a great song.

"When my mother and father forsake me,
Then the Lord will take me up.
When I need some help,
Can't call nobody else,
Then the Lord will take me up."

:)
When you say "Jesus" you've said everything.

Chseeads

Places, everyone!  Strike up the band!

* Chseeads gets his little baton thingy out to wave and point and direct the choir....  :P

My friend Tom from the Nuthouse attends the Reformed Presbyterian Church here in town, and the ONLY songs that they sing in church are the Psalms.  They are ALL set to tunes.  They don't play musical instruments either, it's all acapella. 

Melody

Some of those things I can't even pray. Perhaps cause we are in a dispensation of grace?

RainbowJingles

Goodness, Seth.  That would be...  wow.
So what do they do with the "...hymns and spiritual songs" part of the verse?

Niki: I know there's another oldie...  "without a father; without a mother; I have to make this journey all alone" and others.
But to set some of those entire Psalms to music and sing them...  well, you could throw yourself into depression if you put some of them on repeat.

MY: Well, there are some indeed where Jesus kind of negated what David was doing.
"You have heard that it has been said..."
and then He commanded to love your enemies and do good to them.

taco_harvell

You know in truth David wrote the worlds first Operas. Operas are usually a story of tragedy and sometimes triumph set to music. Clearly David was able to do that in some of these Psalms.

o·pe·ra Noun
1. A dramatic work in one or more acts, set to music for singers and instrumentalists.
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

MsJennJenn

Quote from: taco_harvell on April 08, 2011, 08:00:09 PM
You know in truth David wrote the worlds first Operas. Operas are usually a story of tragedy and sometimes triumph set to music. Clearly David was able to do that in some of these Psalms.

o·pe·ra Noun
1. A dramatic work in one or more acts, set to music for singers and instrumentalists.

Makes sense to me! lol
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

Chseeads

Quote from: RainbowJingles on April 08, 2011, 06:17:54 PM
Goodness, Seth.  That would be...  wow.
So what do they do with the "...hymns and spiritual songs" part of the verse?

I went to a Christmastime service with him once there....it was quite strange.  lol 

I think maybe they take a little license with the arrangement and maybe will repeat a refrain or something here and there, that sort of thing....  Don't quote me on that though. 

One of the pastors there kind of freaked out at the little dinner afterwards when he was talking to me and found out I was a Pentecostal. lol  I can't remember exactly, but I think he said something about us being loud or something like that. lol

RainbowJingles

Pentecostals?  Loud?  Who?  Where?

RainbowJingles

You know, Psalms WOULD definitely make for some interesting opera!

Chseeads

Quote from: RainbowJingles on April 08, 2011, 08:35:04 PM
Pentecostals?  Loud?  Who?  Where?

Must've been a rumor he heard. ;)

The Cold Water Kid

Good post; it makes you think! Isn't it interesting that David didn't sing about his hatred for the devil, but we do? I suppose when we vent our spleen in song it is against Satan and his devils.