News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

SSI/SSD

Started by Dew-Ax-238, March 16, 2011, 04:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dew-Ax-238

This question have been asked to me. What if a person was on SSD/SSI (disability) are they still required to pay tithes,,, I just want different view points to show them
Isaiah 43:2    
When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee: and through the rivers, when thou walkest through the shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shall not be burned: neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.

Babs

guess that would depend on whether or not that person believes tithing is a requirement for us today.

if you believe in tithing, then you should tithe no matter what. if you dont, then why would you consider it.

i know groups that believe its scriptural to tithe, and i know groups that dont believe its a law for the NT church. (all of which are apostolic)

so i guess its between that person and God really. have to do what God shows you. otherwise you are just people pleasing.

:twocents:
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

MelodyB

I agree with Barb, but I will add to that...

If you do in fact believe in tithing, you should tithe on EVERY penny that you come in contact with. No matter where it comes from. Its considered income, so you tithe on it.
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Lynx

Personally I believe in tithing because I'm involved in a lot of stuff around the church so I see what the money is going for.  Gas in the church bus alone takes more than what I tithe from my McDonald's paycheck.   :-?
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

MelodyB

I also believe in Tithing. I tithe on my unemployment check every week.
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Lynx

Ugh.  I was unemployed for two months and it felt like two years.  Person needs to work, and not just for the money.  I was about to tear something apart I was so stir-crazy.

I tithed on my unemployment check but it was a close thing.  You don't get much.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Chseeads

Quote from: Dew-Ax-238 on March 16, 2011, 04:30:37 AM
This question have been asked to me. What if a person was on SSD/SSI (disability) are they still required to pay tithes,,, I just want different view points to show them

That's your income, so yes.

Melody

God has promised to bless what we give Him.  Even if that is only 2 mites.

100% of it belongs to God, He only requires that we put 10% back to where He has designated.  If He's blessed us w/ SSI, unemployment, disability, instead of NOTHING for which we haven't worked for, it seems we Need to obey with that 10% so He can bless That.  He doesn't bless what we keep to pay our bills, our stuff. He blesses what we give Him to bless.

EricShane

we have always been taught against tithing.. but, I agree with everyone else.. if you believe in paying tithes why consider not paying them.. --- thats like saying "I cant wear skirts because I climb ladders" and "I cut my hair because of my headaches" --- I just think God gets tired of excuses
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

Babs

Quote from: EricShane on March 17, 2011, 02:34:38 AM
we have always been taught against tithing.. but, I agree with everyone else.. if you believe in paying tithes why consider not paying them.. --- thats like saying "I cant wear skirts because I climb ladders" and "I cut my hair because of my headaches" --- I just think God gets tired of excuses

exactly. each of us have to figure out what we believe, and when God shows us something its up to us to adhere to it.

we were not taught tithing was a requirement for the new testament church.

honestly i am not for it or against it. i am just like, if you believe it do it, if not dont.

no one person or church group has 100% truth on any subject.

My latest blog post.

EricShane

Quote from: Babs on March 17, 2011, 02:40:17 AM
Quote from: EricShane on March 17, 2011, 02:34:38 AM

exactly. each of us have to figure out what we believe, and when God shows us something its up to us to adhere to it.

we were not taught tithing was a requirement for the new testament church.

honestly i am not for it or against it. i am just like, if you believe it do it, if not dont.

no one person or church group has 100% truth on any subject.

Good post!!!

Thats what I always say, I dont care what you believe.. But Believe something! and know why you believe it!
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

The Purple Fuzzy

And even if you don't believe in tithing per se, you need to give some amount... somewhere... to help somebody.

Babs

Quote from: The Purple Fuzzy on March 17, 2011, 03:08:47 AM
And even if you don't believe in tithing per se, you need to give some amount... somewhere to help somebody.

right. i would be more apt to support giving rather than tithing. a cheerful giver. but just would rather give it to people who actually need it.

My latest blog post.

Roscoe

I guess I'm really sheltered. I honestly did not realize that there were apostolic churchs that did not teach tithing. Definately not trying to argue or anything, just surprised. I've been taught tithing my entitre life. Learn something new everyday.
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Lynx

Mine as well.  I'm not going to  :pound: anyone else for not tithing, but I would have serious internal conflicts if I decided to not tithe.  My church does too much good with that money.
"Do you sing at church?"

EricShane

I really enjoy everyones inputs! :)