Main Menu

XP support extended.

Started by M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ, January 26, 2007, 10:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M‡¢ĦÆŁ Ҝ

Microsoft extends service on Windows XP
Five year 'extended support' added to two years of customer service
Updated: 7:58 a.m. ET Jan. 25, 2007

REDMOND, Wash. - On the eve of the consumer launch of its new Windows Vista operating system, Microsoft Corp. is extending the period in which it will offer support for the previous version, Windows XP.

Consumers who own Windows XP machines already were entitled to get customer service on the software up until April 2009.

That date reflects Microsoft's policy of curtailing its support for an edition of Windows two years after a new version hits the market.

On Wednesday, however, Microsoft said consumers who still have Windows XP running after April 2009 will be entitled to five more years of "extended support."

In the extended plan, consumers will still get security fixes, but instead of free service from the Microsoft help desk, they will have to pay for most assistance.

Microsoft said the move was meant to bring the support policies for consumers in line with what businesses already have.

Vista has been available for big businesses since Nov. 30 but hits the consumer PCs market as of Tuesday.

Source

The way I read this, updates for XP will be available online until 2014, but any customer service support calls to their help desk will cost users after Apr 09.  I don't plan to move to Vista for at least 6 months to a year to give MS time to fix the major bugs and security holes and I doubt I'll still be running XP in 2014, but it's nice to know MS will continue to support XP for people who can't afford to upgrade.
Move along, nothing to see here.

RandyWayne

Vista is proving to be a travesty forced upon the public. 
There is so much garbage embedded at the kernel level as to make me want to scream!  We're talking DRM (Digital Rights Management) code that would actually allow them to REVOKE a non-signed driver from YOUR graphics card company if it is proven that said graphics card company is not doing enough to "protect" copyrighted material. 

SippinTea

I'm not planning to even try Vista. Surf has got me convinced to go with Linux next time I need an upgrade.

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

lojack

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64 bit and have had zero problems so far. **knock on wood**  I also have xp pro on my other hd.  I go between both every other day and haven't had any problems.
Date me before i become famous :o  and for the people who say they can't see my avatar...   http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0092yi2.jpg

BroTrey

I'm funning Vista Home Premium, no problems yet.... the only couple of issues I have had have been trying to run really out dated software and games, which I still have my XP drive for that so *shrug* I'm cool *knocking on wood*

Oh I see the cops are across the street....... *wonders to the window to watch the next arrests at the home-brewed sidewalk pharmaceuticals company*
Please disregard this post as it's contents are probably in error.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. ~ Sir Winston Churchill