News:

The staff of Godplace.com welcomes you to our little house of fun. If you have a spiritual need, feel free to  contact any staff member.

Main Menu

Cooking a Turkey on the grill

Started by Scott, December 02, 2011, 08:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

I've started Gilling our Turkey's rather than cooking them in the oven or crock pots and my family loves it.

You can use Charcoal or gas if you want, but it is wood that gives it the flavor. Cooking time depends on how cold it is outside. The colder it is, the longer it takes to cook. In January I gilled a turkey in -30 weather and it took nearly 8 hours. On Thanksgiving day it was 65 degrees and it took around 4 hours to cook.

The key is to grill it on indirect heat.  I use an old Gas grill that I converted to Charcoal and put the coals on one side and the turkey in a pan on the other side. In fact, when grilling indirect heat is often the best way to cook meats.  This isn't the best picture.

We got a turkey with a heat resistant plastic handle inside (which made picking it up easier) and a $1.00 aluminum pan.  I have the turkey in the pan on one side and the coals and wood on the other side.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Scott

I didn't have a lot of charcoal but I did have lots of branches from some heavy winds and I saved them.  I placed maybe 10 coals on the bottom of the grill and piled branches and twigs on top then lighted it.  Every 20 minutes I tossed more branches on the fire and then after 2 hours I tossed in some more coals.

I use Maple Wood (because I have maple trees) and if you wet a few of the sticks it really smokes. Close the lid and make sure it is vented.

Every 20 to 30 minutes you need to baste it - by pouring the baste over the turkey to keep it moist.

My baste recipe is sort of weird but it works. ( I cook with hot sauce a lot)

2 cups chicken broth
1 cup lime juice
1 squeezed lemon
1 cup hot Pace salsa
Salt
Pepper
Red Cracked Pepper
Garlic Salt
1/4 stick of butter
1/4 cup of vinegar

When it is done, you don't taste the hot salsa - it has a nice moist smokey flavor.

Prior to putting the turkey in the pan, I rub a mixture of veggie oil and olive oil on the bird - the bird heats up and doesn't burn.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Melody

That sounds and looks really delicious, Scott!  I'd love to try that one year.  Now that we have an actual yard, it'll be time to get Nathan a *real* man's grill. 

The Purple Fuzzy

We have a large smoker with trays that rotate.  We wrap our turkey in a couple layers of foil to keep the juice in.  I think hubby took photos, I will try to see where he put them.

Lynx

Quote from: The Purple Fuzzy on December 02, 2011, 10:12:55 PM
We have a large smoker with trays that rotate.  We wrap our turkey in a couple layers of foil to keep the juice in.  I think hubby took photos, I will try to see where he put them.
I sure am glad I'm in my family.  If I didn't have uncle Brent's smoked turkey to look forward to I'd be so envious.  I know your husband's cooking.   :fork:

In fact I think I'll be envious anyway.  Can't have too much smoked turkey y'know. 
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Ebenezer Scrooge

It is far cheaper to buy a turkey roast and cook it in the microwave after you get off work on thanksgiving. Waste of time and money.
Every idiot who goes about with Merry Christmas on his lips should be boiled with his own pudding and buried with a stake of holly through his heart.