News:

The staff of Godplace.com welcomes you to our little house of fun. If you have a spiritual need, feel free to  contact any staff member.

Main Menu

What Are You Reading?

Started by mini, October 14, 2011, 06:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mini

From a blog I read:

Every Friday, I post a series of unrelated questions meant to spark conversation in the comments. Answer one, answer all, respond to someone else's reply, whatever you want. Very casual. On to this week's topics of discussion...

What Are You Reading? Do you recommend it?
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Lynx

I am reading "Charlie ain't been by..."  It is a collection of letters between two old friends who were both slightly nuts.  Most of the letters were entertaining, a few were sad and more than half had me laughing out loud. 

My favorite quote from the whole book:

"Our cat, Lucky, became incontinent.  I took Lucky to the vet.  The vet gave Lucky a shot and charged me $52.  I became incontinent."
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Lynx

Another one from the same book:

"I was by Ray's office to get an exam by his new machine he got one of.  You get a lot of action for your money leave me tell you.  Among others it recorded my height, weight, pulse, blood pressure, the Dow Jones averages and the rate of exchange in Zaire.  At the end a little door popped open and presented me with a trophy that said "World's Greatest."  It didn't say greatest what.  On my way out the office girls threw confetti and paper streamers on me.  They were wearing funny hats and singing "Marching through Georgia" so I guess I passed."

Another one:

"We have had a classic ice storm and the weather is totally rotten throughout Arkansas.  This morning I thought I was back in South Dakota.  I grabbed a bucket and got halfway to the barn before I realized we didn't have any milk cows.  No ice holes to chop, no coal to tote, no horses to saddle.  Annie had a couple from Wisconsin who thought it was a nice day.  So much for Wisconsin."
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Lynx

Another one - one of the two guys writing these letters is a doctor and at this time working at the VA:

"I authorized hospitalization for Ivan G. last week.  He has a long history at the VA.  His complain was that the dentist at Pukwana had used a poison stick on his gums and they were all "et up."  I couldn't see any damage but played it safe (we do that a lot) because maybe something would show up in the morning when the light was better.  His vital signs were normal but the next morning he said I hurt his arm when I took his blood pressure and he was going to sue me for $10,000.  He then checked out against medical advice.  His parting shot was, "You will be hearing from my lawyer."  The next morning he was back at outpatient sick call.  I politely told him that it would be in our mutual best interests to see one of the other outpatient physicians as I did not want to continue care for someone who was suing me.  His response was, "Aha, you can't get off that easy.  I hereby withdraw my complaint and there is no way you can get me to sue you."  I haven't figured that out yet.  Maybe I will order up a bunch of poison sticks from the dentist at Pukwana."
"Do you sing at church?"

Lynx

This book has a sequel which is just as good.  The only problem is I keep loaning them to friends who keep "forgetting" to return them.  I've already been through three copies, all vanished.  I recently sent in and got an order of ten books, five each and still have all five of each, but only because they just recently got here.  Maybe with care and the appropriate use of a shotgun I'll be able to hang on to at least one copy.
"Do you sing at church?"

Roscoe

Quote from: minnesota68 on October 14, 2011, 06:53:20 PM
What Are You Reading? Do you recommend it?
This thread. And I currently recommend it.  :hypocrite:

I'm fixing to be reading ebay and amazon, looking for the book Psalms is reading. :biglaugh:

Seriously- "Their Story: 20th Century Pentecostals"  by Fred J. Foster. An interesting book outlining some of the history and heritage of this great truth we know and love. Higly recommend. :thumbsup2:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Scott

Jerry Jenkins new book "The Betrayal" 2nd part in his new cop series.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

taco_harvell

"The Wit and Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln"
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

mini

Quote from: Psalm_97 on October 14, 2011, 06:57:46 PM
I am reading "Charlie ain't been by..."  It is a collection of letters between two old friends who were both slightly nuts.  Most of the letters were entertaining, a few were sad and more than half had me laughing out loud. 

My favorite quote from the whole book:

"Our cat, Lucky, became incontinent.  I took Lucky to the vet.  The vet gave Lucky a shot and charged me $52.  I became incontinent."

Do you have a link to this book?
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Lynx

I don't think the book is sold online.  I email the wife of the late author for copies and send a check by mail, and she sends me copies in return.  I asked her permission to give you her email and just today got a response in the affirmative.  Will PM you her email.

She said for me to tell her what your screen name is though, so she won't delete your email as junk mail.
"Do you sing at church?"

Niki

I'm reading The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien. I only recommend it to people who have read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings and who are truly interested in the history of Middle-earth. I'm a little more than halfway through it and I really like it.
When you say "Jesus" you've said everything.

Lynx

"Making Mammon Serve You:  A Biblical Manual for Money Mastery" by Rev. John F. Harrison, CPF, minister, teacher, registered financial advisor... and a pretty good friend that I kept trying to get to join this forum.  I'll probably post a review when I'm done reading it.
"Do you sing at church?"