News:

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Ask a Grump #2

Started by MelodyB, February 06, 2008, 08:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Purple Fuzzy

Quote from: Psalm_97 on January 25, 2011, 04:09:37 PM
Many, many people in those communities.  They go all out some of them, right down to women fixing food the way they did back then. 

Wonder if cell phones are allowed at those things?   :biglaugh:
John and Nai should be able to tell you, they both are/were into that. 

What do you say, John?

Newsman

Visible/openly used cell phones would be bad form at an event, with one possible exception. In the organization Lady Nai and I have participated in, each major regional (multi-state) group has what is called "Crown" tournament: the winner actually, within the contexts and constraints of our rules, 'reigns' for an upcoming period. It can only be won by heavy weapons combat, and is hugely covetted by many.

On the days where Crown Tournies are held, I think it would be muchn more common ro see cell phones being used to relay who is doing well/winning/won the tournament, to those not able to attend.

In my area, OK and nearly all of TX form one 'kingdom', so there are a lot of people who are active that can't make it to say, Corpus Christi on a specific day, and someone is relaying it to them.

I was at a fighter practice once where a member of the public pointed out the cell phone(s) in evidence weren't period :)

I should also point out that there is a LOT of medieval reenactment not involving heavy armor, or even fighting at all. The arts and sciencs of the time, bardic (storytelling and medievalish singing), and a variety of other activities done in the middle ages are reenacted.

I had on occasion thought of irganiziung a GP meetup near and in the timeframe of an SCA event, and have the attendees that wanted to make the event as my guests during the meetup.

John  :waving:

Lynx

Quote from: Newsman on January 25, 2011, 10:00:13 PM

I should also point out that there is a LOT of medieval reenactment not involving heavy armor, or even fighting at all. The arts and sciencs of the time, bardic (storytelling and medievalish singing), and a variety of other activities done in the middle ages are reenacted.
Yeah, that's what I was referring to.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Tricia Lea

Can you get cornered in a round room?

taco_harvell

Is this what you look like with your Armour on?

Seriously though how you been doing lately brother?

In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

Newsman

Well, I think the helm needs to be a bit larger, in perspective! :)

Thanks for asking. Unusually busy, even for me, but with the main job so wasn't making much extra money. Starting to write a little more now, and thankful to God for the business.

Burned the back of my hand with a fairly sizeable second degree burn, and then it got infected. It's doing better, now.

Roscoe

Quote from: Newsman on April 06, 2011, 12:19:08 PM
Well, I think the helm needs to be a bit larger, in perspective! :)

Thanks for asking. Unusually busy, even for me, but with the main job so wasn't making much extra money. Starting to write a little more now, and thankful to God for the business.

Burned the back of my hand with a fairly sizeable second degree burn, and then it got infected. It's doing better, now.

Sounds like we should send you a nurse.... :freaky2: Oh, Chel.....! :lol:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

sunlight

Dear John,

If I have to come up there and talk to you, you aren't gonna like what I have to say... (just ask my dad when he was in the same situation)
so, take care of yourself and get better. You hear?!

~ Chel. :grin:
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

MelodyB

Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Lynx

"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Newsman

Oo, I get a 'Dear John' letter and a warning about something I won't like, from a beautiful Lady..do my friends know I thrive on abuse and rejection, or what? :)

Thanks for the concern, Fair Lady..to be honest, I'm having ine of those odd phases in life that make you wonder about many things.

Quote from: sunlight on April 06, 2011, 01:58:03 PM
Dear John,

If I have to come up there and talk to you, you aren't gonna like what I have to say... (just ask my dad when he was in the same situation)
so, take care of yourself and get better. You hear?!

~ Chel. :grin:

Lynx

John:  If a man was working at a tractor supply store and his girlfriend broke up with him, would she write him a John Deere letter?
"Do you sing at church?"

Newsman

Only if it was one of thiose nasty Farmall dealerships!  :thumbsup2: