News:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

dinner options?

Started by nwlife, June 05, 2009, 12:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwlife

trying to decide between a mix of 3 dishes, or just cook a one dish of all three main course...

option 1, watermellon/cucumber soup
               stuffed sausage
                lima beans or pasta

option 2.  Stuffed bell pepper
               with the meat, noodles diced pineapples, douced in watermellon sauce.

Yes, when I get hungry, I start thinking of weird recipies again!!!
Only through faith in the Grace of God through Jesus Christ am I saved. No other means and no other actions changes the predestination of my soul.

UPDATE:  I finally did find my wife.  Just waiting now to bring her to the USA!

mini

You have to love the net...someone actually has a post out there about the soup...

http://www.recipezaar.com/Chilled-Cucumber-Watermelon-Soup-68348

5 -6 cups (change servings and units)

* 1/4 cup water
    * 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
    * 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    * 7 cups peeled seedless watermelon, ½ inch chunks
    * 2 cups finely diced cucumbers (english or ontario greenhouse, about one long cucumber)

Directions

1.Combine water and sugar in saucepan.
   2.Bring to boil over medium high heat; stir in lime juice.
   3.Cool then chill.
   4.Working in batches, place watermelon in blender or food processor, cover and blend until smooth.
   5.Spoon off foam, if desired.
   6.Stir diced cucumber, and lime mixture into watermelon purée.
   7.Cover and refrigerate until cold.
   8.Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.

I don't know if you were talking about that...but if you were, i'm not sure sausage would be a good dish to serve with that.  Maybe grilled chicken breast, light on seasoning, and a good bread with olive oil.  The soup would be a really sweet dish that should stand on its own, and your entree's probably shouldn't take away from the soup, only add to it, or enhance the flavors you taste.

Ok, now that I have looked up "watermelon sauce," here is what I would do.

Make the watermelon soup, serve it as a light, sweet, summer side dish.  Make a watermelon sauce (see below), marinate your chicken breast in it, and grill it.

http://homecooking.about.com/od/condimentrecipes/r/blsauce42.htm

Watermelon is a sweet offset to the balsamic vinegar and soy sauce in this barbecue sauce favorite. Sauce may be used to marinate chicken, pork, fish or shellfish overnight and also as a basting sauce and side sauce.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients:

* 1/2 cup watermelon juice
    * 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    * 1/4 cup brown sugar
    * 1/4 cup soy sauce
    * 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
    * 2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
    * 2 garlic cloves, minced
    * 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes

Preparation:
Stir watermelon juice, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, oil, Dijon mustard, garlic, and pepper flakes together. Pour enough sauce over vegetables, chicken, pork, fish or shellfish to marinate. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight. Baste with additional sauce while grilling or broiling. Sauce not used for marinating or basting can be spooned over cooked vegetables and meats.
DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

RainbowJingles

Watermelon soup...  lol  Funny!  But I just might have to think about that now!!

EricShane

Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you