New Yorkers understand . . .

Started by TRAV, March 15, 2008, 01:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRAV

I could relate to these statements. When you're single and in the city, making it through college or just trying to get somewhere close to the right time, certain things become a normal part of your day that others may never have considered. Every day. New York - if you can make it here you can make it anywhere...

New Yorkers can understand the meaning of this:

THERE IS NO NORTH AND SOUTH. IT'S 'UPTOWN' OR 'DOWNTOWN.' IF YOU'RE REALLY FROM NEW YORK, YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CONCEPT OF WHERE NORTH AND SOUTH ARE...AND EAST OR WEST IS 'CROSS-TOWN.'
YOU'RE 35 YEARS OLD AND DON'T HAVE A DRIVER'S LICENSE.

YOU RIDE IN A SUBWAY CAR WITH NO AIR CONDITIONING JUST BECAUSE THERE ARE SEATS AVAILABLE.

YOU TAKE THE TRAIN HOME AND YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHERE ON THE PLATFORM THE DOORS WILL OPEN THAT WILL LEAVE YOU RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE EXIT STAIRWAY.

YOU KNOW WHAT A 'REGULAR' COFFEE IS.

IT'S NOT MANHATTAN...IT'S THE 'CITY.'

YOU CROSS THE STREET ANY WHERE BUT ON THE CORNERS AND YOU YELL AT CARS FOR NOT RESPECTING YOUR RIGHT TO DO IT.

YOU MOVE 3,000 MILES AWAY, SPEND 10 YEARS LEARNING THE LOCAL LANGUAGE AND PEOPLE STILL KNOW YOU'RE FROM BROOKLYN, LONG ISLAND OR THE BRONX THE MINUTE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH.

YOU RETURN AFTER 10 YEARS AND THE FIRST FOODS YOU WANT ARE A 'REAL' PIZZA AND A 'REAL' BAGEL.

A 500 SQUARE FOOT APARTMENT IS LARGE.

YOU KNOW THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN ALL THE DIFFERENT RAY'S PIZZAS.

YOU ARE NOT UNDER THE MISTAKEN IMPRESSION THAT ANY HUMAN BEING WOULD BE ABLE TO ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND A P.A. ANNOUNCEMENT ON THE SUBWAY.

YOU WOULDN'T BOTHER ORDERING PIZZA IN ANY OTHER CITY.

YOU GET READY TO ORDER DINNER EVERY NIGHT AND MUST CHOOSE FROM THE MAJOR FOOD GROUPS WHICH ARE: CHINESE, ITALIAN, MEXICAN OR INDIAN.

YOU'RE NOT THE LEAST BIT INTERESTED IN GOING TO TIMES SQUARE ON NEW YEAR'S EVE.

YOUR INTERNAL C LOCK IS PERMANENTLY SET TO KNOW WHEN ALTERNATE SIDE OF THE STREET PARKING REGULATIONS IS IN EFFECT.

YOU KNOW WHAT A BODEGA IS.

SOMEONE BUMPS INTO YOU AND YOU CHECK FOR YOUR WALLET.

YOU DON'T EVEN NOTICE THE LADY WALKING DOWN THE ROAD HAVING A PERFECTLY NORMAL CONVERSATION WITH HERSELF.

YOU PAY 'ONLY' $230 A MONTH TO PARK YOUR CAR.

YOU CRINGE AT HEARING PEOPLE PRONOUNCE HOUSTON ST. LIKE THE CITY IN TEXAS.

THE PRESIDENTIAL VISIT IS A MAJOR TRAFFIC JAM, NOT AN HONOR.

YOU CAN NAP ON THE SUBWAY AND NEVER MISS YOUR STOP.

THE DELI GUY GIVES YOU A STRAW WITH ANY BEVERAGE YOU BUY, EVEN IF IT'S A BEER.

THAT'S NEW YORK, BABY! YA GOTTA LOVE IT.

IF YOU ARE A TRUE NEW YORKER, SEND THIS TO EVERYONE LIKE YOURSELF.

PROVERBS 3:5,6

Sis

:nono: typing in all caps? that's a no-no.   Even if you copied and pasted.

Amelia Bedelia

I have this strange feeling of relating to almost everything on that list... almost like I live there or something  :o

:jumping: :crazy:  :jumping: :crazy:  :jumping: :crazy:  :jumping: :crazy:  :jumping: :crazy:  :jumping:
:jumping: :crazy:  :jumping: :crazy:  :jumping: :crazy:  :jumping: :crazy:  :jumping: :crazy:  :jumping:

:beating: :bouncy: :bow: :crazy: :hyper: :party: :partyballoons: :supercool: :wink4: :jumping: :spin:

I love NYC  :grin:

newkris

oh, sis, cut him some slack.  he's from new york.  they gotta yell just to hear themselves think.

nice, trav.  very nice.

so how come some new yorkers gave me and tina the blonde discount and others just smiled?  that's what i wanna know? 

and it's not only pizza that's native to new york, how bout that cheesecake?  not the same in milwaukee, hey?

yep.  gotta love new york.  and new yorkers.  some, of course, more than others.  :pwink: 
\\\\\\\"i want to say more than words when i write\\\\\\\" - kent d. curry
me, too.

myspace.com\\\\\\\\krisknowshim
there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.

Sis

Quote from: newkris on March 16, 2008, 04:26:09 AM
oh, sis, cut him some slack.  he's from new york.  they gotta yell just to hear themselves think.

I did! I didn't delete him, just reminded him!  :hypocrite:

TRAV

FUGGEHDABOUTIT! Thanks for the reminder Sis. Peace! See ya on the Number 5 train uptown.  :thumbsup2:

sunlight

Quote from: TRAV on March 15, 2008, 01:55:27 AM
THERE IS NO NORTH AND SOUTH. IT'S 'UPTOWN' OR 'DOWNTOWN.' IF YOU'RE REALLY FROM NEW YORK, YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CONCEPT OF WHERE NORTH AND SOUTH ARE...AND EAST OR WEST IS 'CROSS-TOWN.' Wow- and here its always east-west-north-south directions- that way if you get mixed up you can still make it to where you are going...
YOU'RE 35 YEARS OLD AND DON'T HAVE A DRIVER'S LICENSE. dude! really? What happens when you venture out of your little piece of the US?
YOU RIDE IN A SUBWAY CAR WITH NO AIR CONDITIONING JUST BECAUSE THERE ARE SEATS AVAILABLE. There are some that are air-conditioned? And that would be one of the things you consider when you are going for a ride? I think i just always ride with my window down.  
YOU TAKE THE TRAIN HOME AND YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHERE ON THE PLATFORM THE DOORS WILL OPEN THAT WILL LEAVE YOU RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE EXIT STAIRWAY. I dont get it... there is more than one door on the train that opens?  The train always stops in the exact same place? how does this work?
YOU KNOW WHAT A 'REGULAR' COFFEE IS. Isnt all coffee regular? and then you just add junk?
IT'S NOT MANHATTAN...IT'S THE 'CITY.' They are all cities right?
YOU CROSS THE STREET ANY WHERE BUT ON THE CORNERS AND YOU YELL AT CARS FOR NOT RESPECTING YOUR RIGHT TO DO IT. you guys have misplaced crosswalks? You dont get tickets for doing that?
A 500 SQUARE FOOT APARTMENT IS LARGE. for a bathroom... REG
YOU KNOW THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN ALL THE DIFFERENT RAY'S PIZZAS. I dont think i have even heard of Ray's pizza YET! i will one day
YOU ARE NOT UNDER THE MISTAKEN IMPRESSION THAT ANY HUMAN BEING WOULD BE ABLE TO ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND A P.A. ANNOUNCEMENT ON THE SUBWAY. Then what are the announcments made for? The birds?
YOU GET READY TO ORDER DINNER EVERY NIGHT AND MUST CHOOSE FROM THE MAJOR FOOD GROUPS WHICH ARE: CHINESE, ITALIAN, MEXICAN OR INDIAN. hehe, here the only options  are pizza, mexican, or chinese.  
YOU'RE NOT THE LEAST BIT INTERESTED IN GOING TO TIMES SQUARE ON NEW YEAR'S EVE. I'm not either, maybe on a different day when there are not so many people there.  
YOUR INTERNAL CLOCK IS PERMANENTLY SET TO KNOW WHEN ALTERNATE SIDE OF THE STREET PARKING REGULATIONS IS IN EFFECT. I have no idea what this is... there are times when you cant park on certain sides of the street? and it's at certain known times?  
YOU KNOW WHAT A BODEGA IS. Isnt it a hat?
SOMEONE BUMPS INTO YOU AND YOU CHECK FOR YOUR WALLET. Ohh. Here we just say excuse me instead.
YOU DON'T EVEN NOTICE THE LADY WALKING DOWN THE ROAD HAVING A PERFECTLY NORMAL CONVERSATION WITH HERSELF. here either, now that there is bluetooth :D
YOU PAY 'ONLY' $230 A MONTH TO PARK YOUR CAR. dude! that's more than the insurance for my car for 6 months!
YOU CRINGE AT HEARING PEOPLE PRONOUNCE HOUSTON ST. LIKE THE CITY IN TEXAS. There is another way to pronounce it?  ???
THE PRESIDENTIAL VISIT IS A MAJOR TRAFFIC JAM, NOT AN HONOR. I hate traffic jams... when there are traffic jams, does that include the Trains and subways? or do they go regardless?
YOU CAN NAP ON THE SUBWAY AND NEVER MISS YOUR STOP. kinda like a bus? I used to do that on the way home from school... and i was the last one off. The bus driver was my friend and always woke me up! lol
THE DELI GUY GIVES YOU A STRAW WITH ANY BEVERAGE YOU BUY, EVEN IF IT'S A BEER. Why not? what do you not need a straw with? I always though the straws were so you could use them as a toothpick when you were done, rather than just drinking through them (so kidding! lol!)
Dude, i need to visit New York so i can learn all about these things! I wonder now if all you non-texans feel this way when someone posts one of these about Texas. I honestly had no idea on most of these! lol.
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

Sis

Quote from: TRAV on March 17, 2008, 08:08:45 PM
FUGGEHDABOUTIT! Thanks for the reminder Sis. Peace! See ya on the Number 5 train uptown.  :thumbsup2:

When I get there. I'm tryin' for December. FUGGEHDABOUTIT! reminds me of Steve Schirripa.

newkris

sunlight, there's lots for you to learn.  i would LOVE to see you in THE City.  to nyers, there's only THE City.  and the subway is mostly underground so traffic jams don't bother the trains much. 

cute.  very cute responses.

and, trav?  i will never forgetabout new york.  what a lovely exciting enchanting piece of the world.  to visit. 

i can't imagine how you people live there, though.  visit every couple of years is enough.
me, too.

there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.

Tsalagi

QuoteIF YOU'RE REALLY FROM NEW YORK, YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CONCEPT OF WHERE NORTH AND SOUTH ARE...

:freaky2:  I'd have to say I agree with that...lol

QuoteYOU CRINGE AT HEARING PEOPLE PRONOUNCE HOUSTON ST. LIKE THE CITY IN TEXAS.

Only problem is, there are no New Yorkers who can pronounce "Houston" anyway, so how would they know?

Isn't a bodega one of those ratty little nook stores?  Sorta a mini store?

:grin:

MelodyB

QuoteYOU KNOW WHAT A BODEGA IS.

What is that? Am I gonna have to look it up?
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

TRAV

Quote from: MelodyB on March 18, 2008, 05:01:21 AM
QuoteYOU KNOW WHAT A BODEGA IS.

What is that? Am I gonna have to look it up?

Bodega: sometimes thought of as a dirty deli or a place to buy soda and chips that also has platanos, calling cards only for South America, meat pies and salsa music blasting in the background. Also, you can't see in the windows because they're all "cloudy" and the guy behind the counter might also have protective glass between him and the customer..........you!

Sis

* You think Central Park is "nature."

* You pay more each month to park your car than most people in the U.S. pay in rent.

* You have 27 different menus next to your telephone.

* Going to Brooklyn is considered a "road trip."

* You're suspicious of strangers who are actually nice to you.

* You take a taxi to get to your health club to exercise.

* Your idea of personal space is no one actually standing on your toes.

* You say "the city" and expect everyone to know that it means Manhattan.

* The subway makes sense.

* You've considered hitting someone just for saying "The Big Apple."

* Your door has more than three locks.

* You consider Westchester "Upstate."

* You run when you see a flashing "Do Not Walk" sign at the intersection.

newkris

me, too.