News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice? -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Camera Advice

Started by Jaybee, June 11, 2008, 03:15:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaybee

I'm unlearned in the technicalities of photography, but I'm told I have a "good eye" for it - and I do enjoy it. I've always used my parents or my sister's camera, but I would really love to have one of my own. I'm hoping to spend $450 or less. I think I found one I like: Canon PowerShot S5 IS. Does anyone have any experience with this one?

I'm open to any advice or recommendations!!

Chel . . . Jolene . . . ;)

"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forward."

- Kierkegaard

Sis

Quote from: Jaybee on June 11, 2008, 03:15:35 AM
I'm unlearned in the technicalities of photography, but I'm told I have a "good eye" for it - and I do enjoy it. I've always used my parents or my sister's camera, but I would really love to have one of my own. I'm hoping to spend $450 or less. I think I found one I like: Canon PowerShot S5 IS. Does anyone have any experience with this one?

I'm open to any advice or recommendations!!

Chel . . . Jolene . . . ;)

If you like to do distant shots, like birds in trees, get as much of a zoom as you can. The most I've seen in the less expensive models is 12 X zoom.

I made sure there was a lens cap on the one I bought. I'm surprised most of them don't because the lens can get scratched so easily when you carry it in your purse.

If you like to do things like close up flowers, get a good macro .

Ashlee

I have a 12x zoom and I love it.  I lost my lens cap somewhere in TX or OK.  Not sure where.  It's proably lost in the mountains somewhere.  lol

Research that particular camera online and read user reviews.  Compare it to other similar cameras.

Sis

Good advice. We did that, too. I love my camera but the zoom isn't good enough.

Don't buy anything that is suggested for beginners. They're pretty easy to use, and you will be beyond beginner status before too long and will wish you had more on it.

dnr1128

If you can, I'd try to find a used DSLR, such as the Canon Rebel.  Look on eBay, Craigslist, etc etc.  You can also check at pawn shops, flea markets, and other places.  You might even find a new one on sale somewhere.  They're coming down in price.  Don't worry about the number of megapixels.  3mp will make an 8X10 picture just fine.  Try to get at least a 5mp, but beyond that don't worry about it.  Unless you plan on doing massive enlargements, you don't need 10+. 

The problem with most consumer cameras is that the manufacturers spend so much money on the CPUs and scrimp on the optics.  But, the light has to go through the glass before it hits the eye, so if the glass is cheap, your pictures look cheap.  An SLR is better if you love taking pictures, you can swap lenses, there are oodles of lenses available, and you have much more control over the composition of the picture.  You can manually focus where you want it to be, you can easier control the aperature, etc etc.  I had a 5mp canon powershot, which took great pictures, but when I bought my Sony A100 DSLR, the difference is amazing.  The money is worth it. 
Sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

Ashlee

I have a KodakEasyShare Z712 IS with image stabilizer and stsuff.  I really like it

Legendary_roxy_girL

Are you really looking to invest in Photography? If so, I wouldn't waste near 450$ on a point and shoot. Spend at least 100$ more and get a Canon Rebel Xt or Xti. Nikon D70, d40, or d20. All are great cameras, better quality than a point and shoot powershot. Even though Canon's Powershot cameras are great, I wouldn't do it. You want something you can change around with different lenses with different types of photography. Something that works well with studio lighting, and what not. Trust me it's a great investment.

Another route is Film.
I would highly recommend this, because you can get an ultra cheap SLR camera that does all the same as a DSLR, just with film. Plus you get the great quality of film and the wonderful experience of working with it. Don't let anyone tell you it's easier to learn photography on Digital because you can actually see what you are doing after the shot. It takes the true pleasure of photography out. You are continuously taking the same shot and eventually the shot loses it's originality.

After that, do whatever you like though. Both are great ways to step into photography and learn techniques.
KayV Blog" style="border:0

<!-- SpringWidgets | RSS Reader (#23) | HTML | Generated on 07/21/2008 --><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowNetworking="all" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" height="336" width="400" id="springwidgets_23" align="middle" data=

nicolejoy

I had a Canon - it's great for "happy snaps" - obviously the "point and shoot" models aren't for the serious photographer, but they can still take some pretty good shots regardless!!

Jaybee

Thank you for all of the advice, guys!

I'm still shopping around, but I'll let you know what I eventually decide on.

Keep the advice and recommendations coming!! I need all I can get. :)
"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forward."

- Kierkegaard

Sis

Quote from: Jaybee on June 24, 2008, 07:04:45 PM
Keep the advice and recommendations coming!! I need all I can get. :)

See your shrink?

Legendary_roxy_girL

Quote from: nicolejoy on June 24, 2008, 09:24:28 AM
I had a Canon - it's great for "happy snaps" - obviously the "point and shoot" models aren't for the serious photographer, but they can still take some pretty good shots regardless!!

Indeed, that is all I use usually. But I have never spent more than 200$ on one. And I would even want to spend that much again on one. Especially if you are wanting to seriously invest in Photography.

I don't own a nice dSLR, but that is only because I use film. But If I was going to spend a lot of money on a camera, I would only spend a lot on something that you can do a lot with. It's just common sense.

If you really do want a point and shoot, I suggest shopping online. Check out Amazon for sure, because that Is  what I did. Also check out your local Wal-marts. Find some of the display cameras and see if there are things wrong with the cameras, like minor scuffs or what not. Then ask to buy that one and get a cheap price for it. I did that as well. If you know its a good camera and all that is wrong with it is a scuff or two, don't be picky seriously, it's a great deal. I got a very nice digital camera and everything with it including a printer dock, all for 100$. haha. Yes, Walmart you can bargain with! And I am sure Targets and k-marts would too. So really before you settle just read alot about cameras. a good site would be DPreview.com That can help you out a lot. :D
KayV Blog" style="border:0

<!-- SpringWidgets | RSS Reader (#23) | HTML | Generated on 07/21/2008 --><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowNetworking="all" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" height="336" width="400" id="springwidgets_23" align="middle" data=

Ashlee

I got mine from Walmart of course.  It was a display camera, so when I bought it, she told me if I had any problems to just reset it since it was a display.  It worked awesome, and I'd never known it was the display.  Got it cheap too!