I am going to try Windows Vista

Started by darlaj2, April 23, 2007, 03:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashlee

Yes, there are several free ones.  I would suggest that you download both of these and use them both.  What one misses, the other will get.

Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition
Follow the link and then click on "Download Here".

and

Spybot Search and Destroy    Click on "Download it Here - Free"

LarryTheCucumber

Quote from: Hat on May 12, 2007, 11:31:48 PM
If your talking anti-virus software, I use Symantec Anti-virus Corporate.  Works wonderful.
I guess its a love-or-hate thing with symantec....
some people love them, I've had nothing but trouble with all their products (especially the corporate versions)

Quote from: teacheroftheLord on May 16, 2007, 02:18:02 AM
Yes, there are several free ones.  I would suggest that you download both of these and use them both.  What one misses, the other will get.
Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition
Follow the link and then click on "Download Here".
and
Spybot Search and Destroy    Click on "Download it Here - Free"
TOTL--those are both great programs, but technically they are both antispyware/antimalware programs--not virus scanners.

they're great at what they do, but there are many viruses and trojans they aren't built to watch for.

for free virus protection, try Avira Antivirus, or the free version of AVG
:waving:

darlaj2

I think I have found one thing about Vista that I am mad about.  Vista has it's own verison of "MS Word" and it is called "Office Writer."  Grrrrrr!!  I tried to install my own MS Word disk yesterday and it would not work!!!  At my office I have MS Word and of course at home have the Vista "Office Writer."  Many times I will do something at home and send it to my work computer or visa versa....but now that Word will not work with Vista, I can not do that !  I am so aggrivated.  If Vista is supposed to be the latest and greatest, they need to make the programs be able to open something as popular as Word, Excel and Powerpoint.  I use Word and Excel at work all the time and need to be able to send so things back and forth  :frustrated:
What to do?  You think eventually Vista will have a patch or something?

joyeuse

Darla i agree with you. I even didnt know that i couldnt download ms word or excel. so what is the name in vista for ms excel and powerpoint?

darlaj2

I can't remember what Vista calls its' version of Powerpoint or Excel...I have used them a couple of times, but don't remember what their actual name is.

LarryTheCucumber

none of the new Office 2007 suite is officially part of Vista--it must be purchased separately.
...and, as you mentioned, there are an insane number of incompatibilities between Office 2007 and Office XP. (just as there have been with every previous release of Office)
its just one of those things that gives me the warm fuzzies for microsoft.

Try OpenOffice.Org for a free office suite that is compatible with nearly every format you're likely to run into, and runs on Vista just fine.

One of my clients recently offered to take out a contract on Bill Gates--if any of you are interested in this investment opportunity, I'll send you the PayPal info.  Do it for your grandchildren!
:laughhard:

darlaj2

Quote from: surfdaworld on May 23, 2007, 07:20:27 AM
One of my clients recently offered to take out a contract on Bill Gates--if any of you are interested in this investment opportunity, I'll send you the PayPal info.  Do it for your grandchildren!

:spitlaugh:  That is funny.

darlaj2

Surfdaworld:  Thank you for the link.  This is the one that I have installed on my Vista already.....so, I have discovered the problem is not with me sending data from work to my home computer (XP to Vista) but the problem is sending home data to work (Vista to XP.)  Of course XP doesn't recognize the OpenOffice Office Writer program.  Which is worse on me because lots of times I do things at home when the baby is asleep and need to send it to work.  But, rarely do I do "home" things at work.  I still wish I had MS Word and Excel for Vista....but I will just have to quit doing work things at home.  Which may be a good thing in the long run. 

LarryTheCucumber

the default format for open office is not compatible with MS Word, but you can tell it to save a file in a format that is compatible.  Try File-->Save As--> and use the drop down list to find the version of Word that you have.

BroTrey

* BroTrey hugs his Vista Home Premium

I'm loving it so far, and have been running it about 3 months now.  Only one major issue and thats because i tried to force and old program to run.... other than that, I shouldnt expect the Wal*Mart special $20 printer to run on it lol

oh and for antivirus NOD32 is the BEST hands down, its noncorporate edition almost rivals Symantec Corp edition.... i'm certain that when the corp edition is released here in a few months, it will start overtaking Symantec's Corp......besides that the Norton line is the worst ever, and with the 2007 and 2008 releases they dont care about customers that dont have "the latest and greatest hardware" (meaning dual or quad core) and thats a direct quote from the symantec rep to our store........  I use NOD32 on all my computers here at the house (cept the mac) and my company uses it on all of theirs now, replacing Symantec corp!  best of all is compatible with win 9x/NT/ME/2000/2003/XP/Vista and i THINK some linux distros, they are working on a mac version now........  also its the smallest footprint around at about 25mb meaning its the fastest (on system start up and while running) and securest around.....
Please disregard this post as it's contents are probably in error.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. ~ Sir Winston Churchill

darlaj2

Glad to have you among the Vista-ites of GP, Bro. Trey.  I am still enjoying my Vista!

LarryTheCucumber

Quote from: BroTrey on September 17, 2007, 04:45:32 AM
...best of all is compatible with win 9x/NT/ME/2000/2003/XP/Vista and i THINK some linux distros, they are working on a mac version now........
sorry, that just struck me as insanely funny...

I suppose its good if you're doing a lot of disaster recovery on Windows boxes  :-?

Tsalagi

Quotesorry, that just struck me as insanely funny...

I thought it was kinda amusing me own self... :grin:

BroTrey

there ARE some virus out there for linux..... not nearly as many as for the pc, (or for that matter even mac) but still some......... gotta make money off of the paranoid some how :P
Please disregard this post as it's contents are probably in error.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened. ~ Sir Winston Churchill

JakeLeonard

Tricia Lea

ok for a bump of a real old topic lol

I have windows vista on my new computer

So far it works great other than one program I know of that doesnt seem to cooperate with it

and every now and then my flash player stops saying its not formatted to work with a 64 bit vista programing but rather a 32 bit vista programming

not exactly sure what that means lol