News:

Is the forum a bit confusing for you? Are there some features you're not sure how to use? Check out this help topic!

Main Menu

Isaiah 40:1-5

Started by Backseat Radio, March 03, 2008, 06:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Backseat Radio

I received this message in my prayer and devotional time this morning...

Isaiah 40:1-5 (NIV)

1 Comfort, comfort my people,
       says your God.
2 Speak tenderly to Jerusalem,
       and proclaim to her
       that her hard service has been completed,
       that her sin has been paid for,
       that she has received from the LORD's hand
       double for all her sins.

3 A voice of one calling:
       "In the desert prepare
       the way for the LORD ;
       make straight in the wilderness
       a highway for our God.

4 Every valley shall be raised up,
       every mountain and hill made low;
       the rough ground shall become level,
       the rugged places a plain.

5 And the glory of the LORD will be revealed,
       and all mankind together will see it.
       For the mouth of the LORD has spoken."

In the next few posts I'll break this down into what I saw in it

Backseat Radio

Part 1 -  Suffering Because of Sin

Isaiah 40:1-2 (NIV)
1 Comfort, comfort my people,
       says your God.
2 Speak tenderly to Jerusalem,
       and proclaim to her
       that her hard service has been completed,
       that her sin has been paid for,
       that she has received from the LORD's hand
       double for all her sins.

As long as we're in this world we suffer because of sin.  this principle is pointed out to us from what Paul said in Galatians 6:7 (NIV)
Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.

Sometimes its our own sin that we suffer for.   I know in my own life I've dealt with a lot of emotional issues because of choices I've made to get involved in groups that don't uphold the ways of God.  I'm sure the rest of you can think of things that are in your life as consequences of bad choices you've made in the past.  We also suffer because of the sins of others - whether that be family, friends, the congergation we're part of, or even total strangers.

The good news for God's people is God paid the price for our sin so that we don't have to remain in sin and continue to suffer because of sin. God's word reminds us to take comfort because the suffering and sorrow that has come from sin will soon be over.

Psalm 30:5 (NIV)
For his anger lasts only a moment,
       but his favor lasts a lifetime;
       weeping may remain for a night,
       but rejoicing comes in the morning.

Backseat Radio

Part 2 - the purpose of the desert

Isaiah 40:3-4 (NIV)
3 A voice of one calling:
       "In the desert prepare
       the way for the LORD ;
       make straight in the wilderness
       a highway for our God.

4 Every valley shall be raised up,
       every mountain and hill made low;
       the rough ground shall become level,
       the rugged places a plain.

From what I've read of posts on here so many of us, myself included, feel like our life is in a desert place emotionally and spiritually.  God reminded me this morning of what the purpose of that desert place is.  Its in the desert places that the rough places in our life are smoothed out and things are brought into perspective so that God can do greater things in our life.

Instead of getting discouraged and giving up our walk with God during those times we need to press on and serve God becuase he commands us "In the desert prepare the way for the LORD"

Backseat Radio

Part 3 - Its Almost Over

Isaiah 40:5 (NIV)
5 And the glory of the LORD will be revealed,
       and all mankind together will see it.
       For the mouth of the LORD has spoken."

God also reminds us that the trouble of living Godly in this world is almost over.  He is comming soon to reward those that have been faithful to Him and to punish those that have rejected him.  Remember what the word of the Lord says...

Revelation 1:7 (NIV)
7Look, he is coming with the clouds,
      and every eye will see him,
   even those who pierced him;
      and all the peoples of the earth will mourn because of him. So shall it be! Amen.

2 Thessalonians 1:6-10(NIV)
6 God is just: He will pay back trouble to those who trouble you
7 and give relief to you who are troubled, and to us as well. This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels.
8 He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.
9 They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power
10 on the day he comes to be glorified in his holy people and to be marveled at among all those who have believed. This includes you, because you believed our testimony to you.

Revelation 22:12 (NIV)
12"Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done.

so...
Galatians 6:9 (NIV)
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.