What is this time you speak of?

Started by relevant_grace, August 13, 2007, 05:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

upcchris

Personally, I love being single, maybe this sounds selfish, but it's great not to have to worry about working around someone else's schedule and be wholly dependant on what they think of you, imo.

Sure idealistically a relationship would be nice, but realistically dreams that become reality have a nasty habit of turning into nightmares, and that's dreams in general not just dreams of a relationship.

I've been single my whole life, I don't know what it's like to be in a relatioship and quite frankly I wouldn't know the first thing about how I'm supposed to act or what would be expected of me as a gf. And I've heard the answer 'be yourself' but in all honestly if a bloke is too intense, he'll scare me off no joke. And to be honest I can't get my head around the fact that one day I might not be single anymore, it's never happened, so to me it probably never will, and I'm happy about that, I don't really like change all that much.
Television is proof the people will look at anything rather than eachother

Life would be so much easier without hormones

Of all God's creations, humans are the only ones with enough imagination to be bored

Humans are fallible, and they unreasonably expect everyone else not to be

Tina~Chris

wire2john

Actually Paul's advice to singles was to remain unmarried because of the troubles relationships invariably bring...

Tsalagi

Well, if only one chapter isn't specific enough, try the entire book of First Corinthians.  Then read the fifth chapter of Ephesians, which in my opinion is the whole deal in a nutshell.

TRAV

Quote from: wire2john on August 23, 2007, 10:26:14 PM
Quote from: TRAV on August 23, 2007, 10:23:10 PM
Quote from: wire2john on August 23, 2007, 10:20:52 PM
Quote from: SippinTea on August 23, 2007, 04:11:08 AM
Never.

Go read I Cor 13....

*smile*

:beret:
I must be mistaken, I thought we were talking about relationships (man & woman). From all the elders I've spoken to about marriage, it's alot more complicated than 1 Cor. 13.

Stop talking to THOSE elders. That's what I heard from my elders.

With all due respect, this advice is coming from someone who isn't married... I'm gonna lean on the cousel of those who've been there and know. No offense and I do appreciate your point of view, It just seems kinda Pollyannaish (not a word, don't bother looking it up in Webster's  ;) ) to me.

Respect is good, at least as much as is due me.

Anyway,  yeah, I hear your skewed wisdom, wireJohn. I believe Pollyanna only came up with "The Glad Game". "Ideal" might be more what you were shootin' for. Yes, my goals are ideal because God's word is ideal. My life may not always be ideal because I am on a journey, ever striving for the ideal. Married peoples advice is only as good as their own experience. Thank God all marriage advice is not created equal, because much of it is not Godly.

Just remember: You don't have to be an alcoholic to see the effects of alcohol on someones life.   

No offense, I just think you're wrong. And way too intense.

PROVERBS 3:5,6

Nerd

QuoteWith all due respect, this advice is coming from someone who isn't married... I'm gonna lean on the cousel of those who've been there and know. No offense and I do appreciate your point of view, It just seems kinda Pollyannaish (not a word, don't bother looking it up in Webster's ;)) to me.

Paul-yannaish?  :smirk:

Paul also goes on to say that if you can't exercise the ultimate in self control (stay celibate for life), then, by all means get married. Find that someone.
If the emotional roller-coaster ride makes you feel that you're not up to it, maybe you should wait it out. By the time the right someone (the REALLY right someone) comes along, things will work out. And you'll be happy you spent the time. More advice from an unqualified unmarried person. 1 Cor. 13 basically says, "Grow up. Be a Man, Stan. Sit yo' inner chile in de cawnah".

Good advice coming from a single guy. His advice is good enough for me.

Mostly, anyway...  :freaky2:

:biglaugh:

Right on, Trav. I know PLENTY of married people I would never take advice from.

MelodyB

Quote from: upcchris on August 23, 2007, 10:27:36 PM
Personally, I love being single, maybe this sounds selfish, but it's great not to have to worry about working around someone else's schedule and be wholly dependant on what they think of you, imo.

Sure idealistically a relationship would be nice, but realistically dreams that become reality have a nasty habit of turning into nightmares, and that's dreams in general not just dreams of a relationship.

I've been single my whole life, I don't know what it's like to be in a relatioship and quite frankly I wouldn't know the first thing about how I'm supposed to act or what would be expected of me as a gf. And I've heard the answer 'be yourself' but in all honestly if a bloke is too intense, he'll scare me off no joke. And to be honest I can't get my head around the fact that one day I might not be single anymore, it's never happened, so to me it probably never will, and I'm happy about that, I don't really like change all that much.

:thumbsup2:

Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

Sister_Mom

Quote from: Chseeads on August 23, 2007, 08:22:02 PM
Quote from: relevant_grace on August 13, 2007, 05:37:31 AM
Do you ever find yourself overwhelmed by the mere thought of finding time for a romantic relationship?  I'm usually so busy that my idea of stopping to smell the roses is similar to a drive-by...

That's one of the many reasons I don't want one....  I don't want to have to take the time it requires to be involved in such an endeavor.

I believe the right one won't "take" time, but will help you prioritize your time and make better use of your time. Also the right one will have some of the same goals as you, or all, and two people working together can save time. Finding a person like that is more of an issue for me than wasting time in a dead-end relationship. That's why I believe it's a good idea to be friends for as long as possible first. When you "think" someone is "the one" you overlook things, as for friends, we tend to see them for what they really are.
God determines who walks into your life....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.

wire2john

Quote from: TRAV on August 24, 2007, 02:14:45 AM

No offense, I just think you're wrong. And way too intense.[/color]

If the only defininition for love (in a marriage sense of the word) is 1st Cor. 13 then a couple who fights doesn't love each other, and I've never heard of a couple in Church who didn't occasionally fight. In the Bible, eros and agape are both translated as love, but they're two different kinds of love. Agape is the kind of love God has for us, and I suspect the closest example of it is what we see in so-called Animal Lovers (Cat Lovers, Dog Lovers, etc.). They love dogs just because they're dogs... no expectations whatsoever. In these instances the one is more powerful than the other. The one expressing the love has power over the one recieving the love. This is not the case in human relationships. Can agape love exist between equals? We as people depend on each other, we all at times fail and therefore have the power to hinder each other... but the same is not true with God.

Proverbs 21:30
There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the LORD.

SippinTea

It would be a pretty sad world if we couldn't settle any disagreements without fighting.

I can't think of one person I agree 100% with. But if every disagreement I had with my family and/or friends ended in a fight, I wouldn't have any friends left.

"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

Newsman

:sing: Feelings..nothing more than feelingsss..  :sing:

John  :waving:

wire2john

Oh, I'm not suggesting that every disagreement ends in a fight, or even that every fight is the end of a disagreement... but fights do happen between people who love each other.

SippinTea

Do they? Hmmm.... If fighting is just a required part of people loving each other, I guess that means I've never loved before.

Right.

wire2john

The people I'm refering to are married people, friends don't have to live together  ;)

Nerd

QuoteOh, I'm not suggesting that every disagreement ends in a fight, or even that every fight is the end of a disagreement... but fights do happen between people who love each other.

Sure. A lot.

Things WILL get said that are later regretted by both parties, too. Which is why someone who can control their anger/temper/mouth is at a decided advantage. And they would have to have their stuff majorly together. And no one does all the time. Right?

That's no reason not to try.

Are we off topic here, or is it just me?

Q: Does anyone have the time to learn self-control?

A: Only the rest of your life, if you're good.

Tsalagi

QuoteCan agape love exist between equals?

It better.  Eros gets old after a while.

Chseeads

Quote from: TRAV on August 23, 2007, 10:14:13 PM

(If you're serious) To be single is your destiny. Congratulations.

On the other hand, that way of thinking may be affecting relationships outside of romance. Everything good takes time.[/color]

Yep, I'm serious.  

Nerd

QuoteIt better.  Eros gets old after a while.

:laughat:

:vvader:

"It is your dessstiny."

giggles

Well I've seen enough fighting to last the rest of my life. When i got married I decided that it was not worth fighting over. Did we have disagreements absolutely. Did we always find a compromise, no.
That's why we have communication. I may not always understand but I'm willing to listen. My husband was a wonderful man, but a man of few words. Sometimes I had to be a mind reader, but when I came right out and asked it made life a lot easier.
Unfortunately marriage does not come with an instruction manual. It would be great if when we started as man and wife God erased the board and said form this day forth it is a new day. No more baggage to carry.
But despite all if God chooses to find me a new mate I would be open to that. If not then I'm OK with that also.

upcchris

Hmmm, maybe I should change my 'probably never will" to "might not happen...or it might" because I have a feeling that eventually I won't be single. I just can't shake the feeling that I'm supposed to get married someday.  Yes I did say 'supposed to' because I can't really think of a better phrase except 'want to' and I guess eventually I do 'want to' not be alone...so either I'm completely refuting what I said before or I'm rephrasing it.

I do enjoy being single in all honesty, I honestly do...but since man was not meant to be alone, I guees neither was woman. :sadbounce:
Television is proof the people will look at anything rather than eachother

Life would be so much easier without hormones

Of all God's creations, humans are the only ones with enough imagination to be bored

Humans are fallible, and they unreasonably expect everyone else not to be

Tina~Chris

apsurf

Just got to thinking....

All a guy would have to do to sound so corny....

wait for a beautiful lady to come by walking a dog, and then he just steps in the way and says to the dog as he smiles at the lady and scratching the puppys ears..
"thanks lil' puppy for fetching my missing rib"

giggles

Quote from: nwlife on August 25, 2007, 01:18:12 PM
Just got to thinking....

wait for a beautiful lady to come by walking a dog, and then he just steps in the way and says to the dog as he smiles at the lady and scratching the puppys ears..

I like that, definetely original.

giggles

I'm probably dating myself here. It used to be that the man would make the first move to approach a lady, has that practice gone by the wayside?

TRAV

Quote from: nwlife on August 25, 2007, 01:18:12 PM
Just got to thinking....

If she was willing to take me to Famous Daves, I might be even more inclined to talk about ribsssss. mm hmmm, yeah babaaay!
PROVERBS 3:5,6

Classicrambler

Quote from: relevant_grace on August 13, 2007, 05:37:31 AM
Do you ever find yourself overwhelmed by the mere thought of finding time for _________________.

Oh, sure, you bet!

SippinTea

*fills in the blank for CR: guitars, violins, accordians, gigs, etc*