Rebaptism?

Started by ChangedByGod, September 22, 2008, 01:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChangedByGod

I do understand that we only need to be baptized once, but I have a question

I was 7 years old when I was baptized, and looking back I question my motives behind being baptized, as several of my friends were being baptized that night and I was more just doing it then because they were.
I am just now getting back into church and and am really feeling in my heart I need to be rebaptized. Would I be wrong if I asked to be rebaptized?

World Traveler

No, nothing wrong with it. In 1 Peter 3:21, the Bible talks about baptism being in part for our conscience sake.

I was baptised three times.

First time in the titles (wrong way there)

Second time in Jesus name (Yeah baby!!! Right way now)

Third time in Jesus name because I later found out my pastor in the former church (I had since began going to a UPC) was a former UPC pastor who was not teaching the whole truth about the plan of salvation (He taught you didn't always speak in tongues when getting the Holy Ghost and it was not necessary for salvation). So, for my conscience sake and to shut up those nagging doubts the devil kept putting in my head, I was baptised in Jesus name the third time.
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

Chseeads

There wouldn't be anything wrong with it.  It sounds like you have a pretty good grasp on the reasoning behind it. 

Just talk with your pastor about it.  Some preachers do have some varying opinions on the subject, but from my experience it seems that most will rebaptize someone if they feel the need in a case like yours.

Brother Dad

Baptism is about purpose.  So if your purpose was not for Jesus Christ but because everyone else was doing it, then I would urge you to get baptized.  If for any other reason you may feel the need to be baptized then simply let your Pastor know and I am sure he will help you. 
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Scott

Here is my take.

If you feel you need to be rebaptized - Do it!

Don't try to figure it out, don't try to stress it, just get re baptized!

I know several people who have done it and they felt so much better. 
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Brother Dad

Quote from: Scott on September 22, 2008, 11:23:10 PM
Here is my take.

If you feel you need to be rebaptized - Do it!

Don't try to figure it out, don't try to stress it, just get re baptized!

I know several people who have done it and they felt so much better. 
Agreed
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Raven180

Quote from: ChangedByGod on September 22, 2008, 01:59:10 PM
I was 7 years old when I was baptized, and looking back I question my motives behind being baptized, as several of my friends were being baptized that night and I was more just doing it then because they were.

Did you receive the Holy Spirit before you were baptized?
Luke 12:24,

24. Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them...

titushome

Quote from: World Traveler on September 22, 2008, 03:13:12 PM
Third time in Jesus name because I later found out my pastor in the former church (I had since began going to a UPC) was a former UPC pastor who was not teaching the whole truth about the plan of salvation (He taught you didn't always speak in tongues when getting the Holy Ghost and it was not necessary for salvation). So, for my conscience sake and to shut up those nagging doubts the devil kept putting in my head, I was baptised in Jesus name the third time.

So... does the effectiveness of baptism depend in part on who performs the baptism?  Does it have to be a professional minister?  Does it have to be a professional minister who teaches "the whole truth about the plan of salvation"?

Just wondering....
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

World Traveler

Jesus gave the great commission to his disciples... not just the apostles. I believe the right to baptize applies to all who are born again the correct way and living the life.
But, they do have to be in the church. Sheep bring forth sheep. The church labors and brings forth new babes in Christ. If a person is not in the faith, then I question their right to baptize in Jesus name.
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.

titushome

Quote from: World Traveler on October 15, 2008, 11:39:36 PM
If a person is not in the faith, then I question their right to baptize in Jesus name.

I too would "question their right to baptize in Jesus name," but the power of baptism is in the Name, not in the person doing the baptizing.  So as long as the heart of the person being baptized is right - i.e., they've elected to turn from their sins and live their life toward God - then their baptism is still effective, regardless of who performed it.
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

EricShane

well...
around here, they preach
that if you backslide
you have to do your First Works Over...

at least thats the way I was always taught... but, also I go to a Pentecostal Holiness church.. so that might be different
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

Brother Dad

Quote from: EricShane on October 16, 2008, 05:07:49 PM
well...
around here, they preach
that if you backslide

at least thats the way I was always taught... but, also I go to a Pentecostal Holiness church.. so that might be different
I raised this way also but then the taught me by way of periodical son.  When he came back he could not be born back into the family but just acknowledge his wrong doing and return to his father.  We are born naturally one time and Spiritually one time.   

pkdad

The most important thing to understand is baptism without repentance, is void. When one repents with Godly sorrow and God grants life unto repentance (HolyGhost) you are then prepared for baptism in the name of the one who died, JESUS! While I received the Holy Ghost coming up out of that watery grave, it is vital that repentance be genuine and God given. Too many times we see 'head' change and no 'heart ' change because the candidate
finds  Jesus on the Cross in theory and not fact...faith brings us before a Holy Jesus bearing our sins to save us and we see our utter sinfullness and helplessness and we are broken and cry out for deliverance....any less experience must be suspect.

Brother Dad

Without repentance it is just getting wet. 

EricShane

Quote from: Brother Dad on October 16, 2008, 06:58:23 PM
well...
around here, they preach
that if you backslide

I raised this way also but then the taught me by way of periodical son.  When he came back he could not be born back into the family but just acknowledge his wrong doing and return to his father.  We are born naturally one time and Spiritually one time.   
Im hoping you meant Prodigal not Periodical lol...

but, Yeah.. I can understand that...
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you

Brother Dad

Quote from: EricShane on October 17, 2008, 02:51:27 AM
Quote from: Brother Dad on October 16, 2008, 06:58:23 PM
well...
around here, they preach
that if you backslide

Im hoping you meant Prodigal not Periodical lol...

but, Yeah.. I can understand that...
Yeah that is what I meant.  Opps

barefoot

let your heart be your guide-just love jesus- everything will be ok-

BeccaBoo

My sister and Dad both got rebaptized when they got back in church.

Do Justly, Love Mercy, Walk Humbly. Micah 6:8

Brother Dad

I normally would not refuse someone who felt they needed to be rebaptized.   But I do not teach it as necessary, unless the person was baptized for the wrong reason the first time.   

Brother Dad

One example of the wrong reason is when someone gets baptized just to stop people from constantly harassing them.

Bro Bart

Quote from: titushome on October 16, 2008, 04:25:41 PM
If a person is not in the faith, then I question their right to baptize in Jesus name.

I too would "question their right to baptize in Jesus name," but the power of baptism is in the Name, not in the person doing the baptizing.  So as long as the heart of the person being baptized is right - i.e., they've elected to turn from their sins and live their life toward God - then their baptism is still effective, regardless of who performed it.
Amen to that!
Many in our ranks have turned baptism into a sacrificial, mechanical rite, when as long as you say the right name, do the right thing, your sins are forgiven. It reeks after witchcraft I tell you. Its called baptismal regeneration, and its based on salvation by works.
According to 1peter3:21 its the answer of a good conscience towards God, its not the water that saves you. Its when you pledge your life to Jesus coupled with repentance and obedience to His word.

onli-one-jehovi

Quote from: Bro Bart on October 28, 2008, 02:27:49 PM
Quote from: titushome on October 16, 2008, 04:25:41 PM

Amen to that!
Many in our ranks have turned baptism into a sacrificial, mechanical rite, when as long as you say the right name, do the right thing, your sins are forgiven. It reeks after witchcraft I tell you. Its called baptismal regeneration, and its based on salvation by works.
According to 1peter3:21 its the answer of a good conscience towards God, its not the water that saves you. Its when you pledge your life to Jesus coupled with repentance and obedience to His word.

:clap2:
Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
Young man, how is it that you do not?

Backseat Radio

Quote from: ChangedByGod on September 22, 2008, 01:59:10 PM
I do understand that we only need to be baptized once, but I have a question

I am just now getting back into church and and am really feeling in my heart I need to be rebaptized. Would I be wrong if I asked to be rebaptized?

There are valid reasons for being rebaptized.  Here's some possibilities...

1)  the origional baptism wasn't by your choice
2)  the origional baptism wasn't a biblical baptism
3)  the origional baptism was done for the wrong reason

I chose to be rebaptized because my first baptism was not by my choice.