Someone Please Explain to me

Started by Somnic, July 22, 2008, 10:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Somnic

Quote from: OGIA on July 24, 2008, 11:02:17 AM
Quote from: Somnic on July 24, 2008, 04:03:21 AM
I do have a WOW moment to tell you about.  The night of the day I recieved the Holy Ghost, I was reading the bible.  While reading it I recieved three visions.  Each one was the same.  It was me standing on a pullpit preaching to my church.  I know that god has a plan for me and I am seeking that path.  But part of that is learning what is what and studying the bible.

So true! I pray the diligence of your search will produce much fruit for God's Kingdom!!

I didn't make this thread so two people could argue over who has better resources.

Well, that's the nature of internet forums....even Christian ones.  I've done it (gotten off topic and argued) and will probably do it again.  You gotta learn (I'm still learning) to ignore some stuff and tolerate other stuff.  ;)

I made this thread to better understand the "Trinity".

I came here because I thought it might be easier to get, i dunno, maybe a few links to point me in the right direction, or a few authors I should read up on.

Bishopnl gave two wonderful links.  Did you get to look at them?  Also, Bro. David Bernard's book "The Oneness of God" is online: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pentecostal/one-Top.htm

Those three resources should keep you busy for a while.  Plus, God will open other doors as you keep studying.  Check with your pastor and see what books and resources he has and suggests, too (maybe first?).  God bless!

Yes I saw the links bishopnl posted and will be reading them over.  Also I would like to thank you For your link and book reference also.  Thanks to both of you.  I sincerely mean that.  Sorry I went on a rampage there.  I was looking for answers, but was getting two people arguing over sources of info.  It can be frustrating, but in the end...if you get some sources that lead you more toward the "Truth", it can all be worth it.

yosemite

Quote from: titushome on July 24, 2008, 01:44:08 PM

The fact of the matter is, someone who is looking for Truth will find it no matter where you look - even in material prepared by Jehovah's Witnesses, or Mormons, even Muslims or Buddhists!

:thumbsup2: my point exactly!! if you ask benny hen or jesse jackson or jason dulles or al sharpton or pres. bush who won the civil war they would all have the same answer but draw different conclusions as to why it started and ended. but the fact of the matter is the south won the war!! hahahaha. :laughhard:
My conscience is captive to the Word of God.Thus I cannot and will not recant, for going against my conscience is neither safe nor salutary. I can do no other, here i stand, God help me. Amen      -Martin Luther

rootbeer

I just saw this thread and I'm skipping over some posts, especially the long ones, I just wanted to comment that I have read literature by Trinitarians and have had several discussions via e-mail and other discussion boards and I found that they don't all explain the Trinity the same way, but most of them do not agree with this:
QuoteMy best friend is a Pentecostal, and believe in the "Trinity" of One God with three roles, with those roles labled as the "Trinity". 
They usually insist that if I don't acknowledge three distinct "persons," I am not a true Christian, but I have some difficulty in getting them to define what a "person" is.  They want to define "person" by what a person does, not what a person actually is.  They usually insist they believe in one God, but that there are three divine persons "within" the one God.  They don't want to acknowledge that three distinct persons, each being God, really is three Gods. 
One of my cousins I have talked to recently says there is Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, she did not say they were separate persons. 
The name of the Lord is a strong tower.

Niki

Here's what I don't get. Trinitarians claim to believe in one God, but I can't tell you how many times (including within the last week) I've seen or heard them talk about "God and Jesus". I get this puzzled look on my face and I'm like, "What?". If Jesus is God, then why do they say "God and Jesus" or talk about how they pray to God and then Jesus will whatever, whatever? I don't get it.

If you ask them if Jesus is God, most will say yes. (Saw someone at citydata.com recently say flat out that Jesus is not God. Weird.) But in conversation and in prayer, they always distinguish between the two. So when they say "God and Jesus", which person of the godhead is God supposed to be? Obviously not the Son. So why not say "Father and Jesus" or "Holy Ghost and Jesus"? I don't know. Just seems really confusing to me. I'm glad to know that all I have to say is "Jesus" and I've said it all.
When you say "Jesus" you've said everything.

SippinTea

Quote from: Niki on July 27, 2008, 08:56:36 AM
I'm glad to know that all I have to say is "Jesus" and I've said it all.

True dat. :thumbsup2:

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

titushome

Quote from: Niki on July 27, 2008, 08:56:36 AM
Here's what I don't get. Trinitarians claim to believe in one God, but I can't tell you how many times (including within the last week) I've seen or heard them talk about "God and Jesus". I get this puzzled look on my face and I'm like, "What?". If Jesus is God, then why do they say "God and Jesus" or talk about how they pray to God and then Jesus will whatever, whatever? I don't get it.

Well, Jesus did speak of the Father as distinct from Himself.  And there are many references in the NT letters of the apostles that distinguish between the Father and the Son.

That's not to say that trinitarian theology is correct - only that the confusion is understandable.
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

noodle

Quote from: Somnic on July 22, 2008, 10:15:23 PM
What exactly does a Trinitarian believe.  Is it that they will see three divine beings when they get to heaven?  Someone please explain to me, in detail, what it is that they believe.  I'm abit confused.  Yes I'm a new born Apostolic, so I have never really heard of this Trinitarian belief.

Ok, I too skipped over some of these posts so I hope I am not repeating anything. Here are the basics that I have found in studying the trinity: Trinitarians believe God exists in 3 separate "persons" but are one in "unity" as in a family of three separate persons are one family unit. Apostolics believe God exists in three separate "manifestations" that all make up one whole God. You could compare it to yourself in that you have a body, soul and spirit that all make up you. Your body, soul and spirit do not exist in three separate persons all apart from eachother. From what I have observed, Apostolics don't use the term "trinity" because it is associated with the trinitarian belief. Rather, the term Godhead is used. Collosians chapter 2 summed it up for me.

yosemite

did ya ever find out what the trinity was or what they beleive? it was not my intent on getting such a go on the sources, but to start you on the path of history of the trinity and the different views of the variety of teachings. there are many churches but only one truth. i think it is nessasary to know the false and why it is false rather than just have someone say here is what is truth. it eliminates wonder.
My conscience is captive to the Word of God.Thus I cannot and will not recant, for going against my conscience is neither safe nor salutary. I can do no other, here i stand, God help me. Amen      -Martin Luther

doogie

While traveling recently, I listened to a radio call-in show featuring a very prominent trinitarian.  Someone called in to ask how they should deal with a relative whom they referred to as "oneness" in their belief of the Godhead.  He was emphatic in his response that "Oneness Pentecostals" emphasize the "three manifestations" of the Godhead, but he believed in "three distinct persons" that combined, were God - coexistent and coeternal.

Consider 1 Timothy 3:14-16

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

If Jesus was God manifest in the flesh, the two are inseparable...

yosemite

hahahaha  hank hanograph!! "the bible non-answer man". when i am on the road, i listen to him quite a bit and i also argue with him while i drive! well... he keeps me awake...at the very least.

he doesn't hold a very high opinion of apostolic folk. he says we are cultists and border line on blasphemous rhetoric.

good post doogie!