News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice? -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Hypnotherapy

Started by kkay, January 10, 2011, 10:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkay

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried hypnotherapy. I'm looking into it and just want some feedback on if it really works or not.

:updown:

Lynx

This is one of those things where when you google it you get a lot of polar results - either extremely positive or extremely negative.  You'll get pages and pages that say it's the best thing that has ever happened to people, and pages and pages denouncing it as pure bunk. 

Personally I have never tried it, but I don't think it would work.  And if it DID work, the thought of deliberately allowing someone to mess around in my head (what little is up there, if anything) gives me the collywobbles. 

But the main thing for me is, all the problems hypnotherapy is supposed to be able to address, my Bible says we have been given power over anyway.  If I did face a problem that might be solved by hypnotherapy, I would take it to God first, see if maybe I'm just forgetting to exercise my authority as a son of God.

Caveat:  Mind you, this is strictly IMHO.  It could be a very good, very beneficial thing.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

kkay

I agree; however, it doesn't seem to be getting better with prayer. Some days are better than others, I suppose. I've read some things recently indicating that when a person is under hypnosis, they cannot be forced to do anything. It's all still the individual's choice. It's weird. I just think it would be worth trying.

Lynx

Then this is not just idle curiosity, you have a specific problem for which it might help.  Can you say what the problem is?  Pain perhaps?
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Sis

IMHO, I wouldn't make my mind blank because you don't know which demon if any would love to take up residence there.

Lynx

That also.  Sis' comment was not as paranoid and/or superstitious as some of the world may think.  Spirits are real.  Not that we have to be afraid of them as some recent movies would portray, but it is wise to be aware of them.
"Do you sing at church?"

Melody

We know how we struggle w/ carnality simply from the outside influence of the world.  Can't imagine how potentially dibilitating it would be to even just have unhindered suggestive influence on the inside.  Who knows how suceptable each one of us are to the power of suggestion?  I've never heard of anything not improving w/ prayer unless it was like somebody dying cause it was their time.

kkay

From what I've read, it's not about leaving your mind open to whatever wants to come in. It's more so relaxing to the point that your subconscious is open to improvements. I'm sure hypnotherapists would get in pretty big trouble if they tried to alter your subconscious in a negative way. I'm not experiencing pain. It's OCD. It's not about letting demons in my mind. It's about improving myself through my subconscious.

Sis

Wasn't saying you would intentionally LET the demons in. They take any opportunity they can, and this MIGHT be a doorway for them.

kkay

Agree to disagree I guess.

Melody

I don't know if it's across the board but I've heard preachers talk about severe OCD being a spiritual issue of not trusting God, not fully submitting.  I think all of us deal w/ that to some degree.

Babs

Quote from: MellowYellow on January 11, 2011, 08:26:41 PM
I don't know if it's across the board but I've heard preachers talk about severe OCD being a spiritual issue of not trusting God, not fully submitting.  I think all of us deal w/ that to some degree.

they say that about anything they disagree with.  :twocents:
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

Melody

A specific story I remember hearing, the person was delivered from it through prayer.  Soo.. I don't know about all cases of course but the chances that God can deliver/heal better than man is what I'd bank on. And, the funny thing is, they do say that about a LOT of things.. and for a LOT of things, they are right.  :updown:

But I don't know anymore about it. 

Is it a chemical imbalance?

Babs

more often than not ocd is a learned behavior. from what i have read and seen (through people i know that have it) ocd is a way of coping. if you can have order, any kind of order then life is easier to manage. most people that struggle with this have felt like they have no control over their lives. either they were abused or had controlling people over them.

most times if they break away from what is making them feel helpless, insecure etc, then the ocd decreases. i also notice that when i see a friend go back to an ocd, then i can know they are having a hard time with something in their life and feel out of control.

for example, a little girl is continuously forced to do something a parent wants, say clean a room a certain way, or stack books etc whatever. then when she grows up, she will tend to be one that has to stack say the cans in the pantry all labels facing the same way, like things together. its now her way to make her life have order.

My latest blog post.

kkay

Quote from: MellowYellow on January 11, 2011, 08:36:21 PM
A specific story I remember hearing, the person was delivered from it through prayer.  Soo.. I don't know about all cases of course but the chances that God can deliver/heal better than man is what I'd bank on. And, the funny thing is, they do say that about a LOT of things.. and for a LOT of things, they are right.  :updown:

But I don't know anymore about it. 

Is it a chemical imbalance?

I'm sure God could heal me of it if He wanted to, but He doesn't always heal people of illnesses.

Melody

Very true indeed.  Thank the good Lord what He says matters most. 

kkay

P.S. My OCD is with numbers. I constantly try to make everything add up to the number 8. Words, phrases, shapes, etc. I just basically dwell on the number 8 and factors of it. For me, I don't think it's about control as much as it is the obsession part of it. I've read a lot about hypnotherapy and I'm pretty convinced it's not the Devil's work or a way to let anything I don't want in. It's basically the same as sleeping.

kkay

Just to clarify: I'm not saying I can't be healed. I'm just not going to sit and wait when I can be doing something about it. Even though the Bible doesn't actually say it, I believe He helps those who help themselves.

Chseeads

Quote from: Just Plain Ole Barb on January 11, 2011, 08:42:33 PM
she will tend to be one that has to stack say the cans in the pantry all labels facing the same way, like things together. its now her way to make her life have order.

But all the cans ARE SUPPOSED TO BE turned with the labels facing the same direction!!!!!

:yikes:

:hypocrite:

Babs

i know seth lol

i used to be ocd bad!! now that i understand why and what. i dont tend to have as many problems with it. i could tell horror stories about how bad mine was. but once i learned that it was my way of making sense and order of my life, now if the urges return i know to look and see why i feel out of control and what is making me feel that way.

now i am only ocd about my computer and fb wall lol

My latest blog post.

SippinTea

Quote from: Just Plain Ole Barb on January 12, 2011, 06:41:49 PM
i used to be ocd bad!! now that i understand why and what. i dont tend to have as many problems with it. i could tell horror stories about how bad mine was. but once i learned that it was my way of making sense and order of my life, now if the urges return i know to look and see why i feel out of control and what is making me feel that way.

Hmmm... very, very interesting.

*rWooby ponders many things*

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

nicolejoy

Have you considered going to a Christian counsellor about your OCD? That is what I would try next. I do think that sometimes talking about things like that can help tremendously. But you'd need to find the right counsellor...

EricShane

im a little bit OCD.. not enough to bother me, but it bothers some people.. lol -- my closet is organized in a particular way and one thing cant be different! lol

but.. about what sis said.. that is really Scary... I never thought of that, but I understand it.. but.. I dont think you cant be demon possesed and have the Holyghost at the same time.. I think you can be opressed tho
Hebrews 12:12-16 Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed. Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you