News:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Getting my foot in the door - starting early in SHARING 494

Started by Lynx, May 28, 2014, 02:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roscoe

Bah. Drove a 70 year old vehicle 200 miles in two days- zero issues. Tried- the operative word here,"tried"- to drive the  stinkin' Lincoln 20 miles to Russellville to grab a burger before church. Of course the stupid altenator that I replaced four months ago went out. And since it was an ebay special, albiet a new one, there is no warranty. And it cost me $90 at friends pricing to get the stupid thing towed home. And I spent church time sitting in a parking lot 20 miles away, waiting on the tow truck.
Sigh. I THOUGHT we were gaining ground for a minute there. Obviously an illusion. :sadbounce: I do believe the Lincoln is gonna find a new home. If I'm gonna work on something constantly and sink money into it, it might as well be something that suits me- like a 'vette.
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Lynx

Lincolns are built for comfort, Bobby.  They are also built for moderately rich people who can afford to replace parts.  Get something cheaper and more fun to drive.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

The Purple Fuzzy

MsJennJenn

Personally I think anything outside of a Toyota is a waste of money.

Unless its a Tesla...but well....that explains that.
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

Lynx

My Ford Windstar has held up fairly well over the years.  Coming up on 200,000 miles.  Last thing that went wrong was the battery died.  Before that... uh... well... Nothing before that except getting new plugs and wires. It was over 16,000 and still running on the factory-installed spark plug wires.  Not bad.

My Chevy Lumina before that was fairly good too.  Paid a flat thousand for it, drove it 7 years.  Finally ditched it when the timing belt broke and stuffed itself in a few of the cam heads. No complaints, I got my 1,000 out of it.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Roscoe

Quote from: MsJennJenn on July 17, 2014, 02:15:19 PM
Personally I think anything outside of a Toyota is a waste of money.

Unless its a Tesla...but well....that explains that.
Tesla- no. Especially since I'm not fond of my car burning unexplained. Toyota- meh. Good cars, but boring. You get good cars and bad cars in all makes. A friend once told me, "Don't buy Dodges. They're trouble. Also avoid 4x4s.." I bought a Dodge Dakota 4x4 the next month. Drove it for 5 years with zero issues.
The Miata was probably my most trouble free recent vehicle.The Lincoln just annoys me because I researched it, having never owned a Lincoln before. Same powertrain as a Crown Vic Police Interceptor, and ours at work took beatings that would've put an ordinairy car in a wrecking yard- daily. Everything I read said to expect 3 to 400 thousand miles out of them with very little trouble...so I bought one that appeared to have been taken care of, and first it was a battery/altenator- ok wear item. Then the intake- known issues, just my turn, didn't like it but I'll deal with it. But the second altenator just ticks me off, especially since I replaced it with a OEM Ford part.
Oh well. Got the stupid altenator off. Fixing to go to town and replace it...
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Chseeads

Went and dropped off eggs and beans and did cards.  Eating now. Then need to pick beans.

MsJennJenn

WEeeeeeeeeeeeeee about to be off work. Heading home to finish, then pick up my friend, and then to Mom's so she can take us to airport! Then off to Florrriiddaa in the morning!

Au revior mon ami's!!  :waving:
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-

Roscoe

Hope ya have a great time, Jenn!

And in sharing- bad news was, the altenator was dead and the salvage yard did not have one. Good news is, the seller of the one I ebay'd a few months ago is a straight up guy with connections in Ford parts, and even though he didn't have a replacement, he offered to file a warranty claim with Ford and give me the refund credit they issue if I'd send the altenator back.  Meanwhile, I bought another which should be here in a few days....Lord, what a hassle but it is turning out better than I thought it would.
And tomorrow night, Chey is staying with Grandma, because Grandma wants to have her over to play with her cousins. A friday night, with Chey gone and Lou outta town.....in a former life, that woulda called for a Harley trip. Sadly- no harley, and no money, and now no comfy car means- I'll sit in my comfy recliner. Alone. Except for the dog, of course. What an exciting life I have. Just exactly when did old age run up behind me and clobber me?!? :pound:

Chseeads

MsJennJenn

-Alexander Den Heijer-

mini

DISCLAIMER: All rights reserved. Meant for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Not necessarily the view of this website. This supersedes all previous notices.

I wonder if we made a wax figure of Mini, and then melted it, if we'd get Roscoe... -MellerYeller

Lynx

Harley schmarley, what happened to a road trip with Rusty?  People would be snapping much more pics of the truck.  If you went through my area i'd be one of the ones snapping pics, because I have this friend back in Arkansas, see, who would like to see them...
"Do you sing at church?"

The Purple Fuzzy

Roscoe

:pound: all of ya. That was what is known as a rhetorical question. Your input was NOT needed, or, truthfully, desired. :pound:

And Isaac- Harley = 50+ mpg, therefore I could afford the cruise. While Rusty indeed gets good mpg for a pickup-25-29 mpg- that still would be a costly trip. And since the Lincoln has ate up available cash, I probably will not be going anywhere. Although I will admit to considering a puttering west about 2 hours to acquire some tomatoes.....:ugly:

Chseeads

Lynx

Good tomatoes (good = something that does not come from the grocery store, as store tomatoes are always pale, flavorless and chewy) are worth the trip. :)
"Do you sing at church?"

Chseeads

The Purple Fuzzy

Chseeads

Smirking and picking beans.  I think I'll have sold 11 bushels, plus what we've used or canned, which hasn't been a ton yet, but some.

Roscoe

Quote from: Chseeads on July 19, 2014, 09:10:18 PM
Smirking and picking beans.  I think I'll have sold 11 bushels, plus what we've used or canned, which hasn't been a ton yet, but some.
:waving:
Slept in, cleaned up the house, went for a drive in Rusty. Now I've dough rising for dinner rolls, a meatloaf in the oven, and trying to decide what I want to make for dessert.
That is my boring life today...

Lynx

"Do you sing at church?"

Roscoe

Quote from: Lynx on July 19, 2014, 10:39:22 PM
Boring? Sounds good to me!  :fork:
Na. Boring. I didn't have my sidekick for the Rusty cruise, and Lou and said sidekick ain't made it in yet. I miss 'em. I can't imagine how I lived without them for so many years. Now if they are gone, I feel like I'm missing important parts of me. Like my heart. And motivation...:sadbounce:

MsJennJenn

Went to the beach today. Got sunburnt. Naturally.

It's gorgeous.

-Alexander Den Heijer-

Chseeads

Dear Lord, you look like Sebastian the crab. 

And you look like your dresstail is tucked in your waistband.  :P