News:

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Scientists beware!

Started by Lynx, May 27, 2011, 06:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

You could be sued for not being able to do something.  http://tinyurl.com/3l3scg3

Does that mean we could sue weathermen if they don't predict a sudden storm, or doctors if they fail to find a cure for some diseases?

I think I'll find some quantum physicists to sue because they have not yet developed a teleporter.  Do you have any idea how many lives they have failed to save because they won't make a way to teleport them out of harm's way?  :roll:
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Kyle

Technically, teleporting someone can be seen as murder as well, or that is one of the theories at least. When you teleport something, you break it down to its basic molecules, and then reassemble it in another place. Some people say that this act in itself can kill a person, and that the reassembled person on the other end is not the original person, but a clone.
Stupidity is a global epidemic.

World Traveler

Actually Kyle there are two trains of thought on that.

First, the one you mentioned, breaking them down into their basic particles at point A and reassembling them at point B. The Heiseneberg Principle basically rules this method out. And yes, it does involve killing the person in its simplest form, but is not far removed from the practice of drowning someone and then bringing them back or temporarily stopping ones heart (i.e. killing them) to do a critical operation and then restarting the heart.

The second involves conversion in which each particle is converted into light at point Aand then reconverted back to what they were at point B. This technically would not be killing someone. You are just converting them from one material (organic) into another (light energy) and then back. We are very good at converting organic material into energy. We have just never found a way to convert energy to matter. Working on it though! Imagine being able to convert energy into steak and potatoes!!!
There is no statute of limitations on murder or bad first impressions.

I am enjoying my second childhood.
It is a lot of fun.
I have money this time!!

Marry, divorce, marry someone new, divorce, marry again, divorce, marry again... Polygamy on the installment plan.