News:

What happens if you get scared half to death twice? -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Sick of the "royal" wedding!

Started by The Cold Water Kid, April 29, 2011, 02:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Cold Water Kid

I am so sick of hearing about the "royal" wedding! Based on what they have said about that young man's lifestyle, Britain should be weeping not rejoicing. I have XM Radio, and it is on all the news channels right now except C-Span. Very annoying.

Scott

Wedding?

What wedding?

Is there a special wedding happening?

Royal Wedding?

Is Royal pudding getting Married to Jello Pudding?
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Melody

I think it would mean more if they actually had power.  Aren't they just symbols now?

MsJennJenn

Not saying I'm interested or following this (cus I'm not)....but it's like every girls DREAM wedding to marry a "prince" lol....guys just don't get it, and won't get it...
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

Scott

Quote from: MellowYellow on April 29, 2011, 02:24:22 PM
I think it would mean more if they actually had power.  Aren't they just symbols now?

For the most part they are inbred powerless figureheads. (Seriously, not joking about the inbred part) The have rules about who they can and cannot marry - they must keep their '' blood line '' pure.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Scott

Quote from: MsJennJenn on April 29, 2011, 02:27:21 PM
Not saying I'm interested or following this (cus I'm not)....but it's like every girls DREAM wedding to marry a "prince" lol....guys just don't get it, and won't get it...

Get what?

Weddings?

Weddings = boredom!

It is bad enough going to a wedding of someone I know personally, even worse going to the wedding of someone I hardly know (such as an inlaw that I've met once or twice), even worse the wedding of someone I don't know at all and will never meet.

It was hard enough sitting (okay, standing) through my own wedding.  All the pomp and ceremony for the 3 minute I do or I don't part. Saves time and money just to walk to the front of the service and have the preacher ask "do you or don't you"  then sit down.   :freaky2: You could do it during the offering or just after prayer requests.

The Never Ending Battle

MsJennJenn

"When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-

Scott

Quote from: MsJennJenn on April 29, 2011, 06:07:39 PM
:roll:

Typical man response! lol

*shrug*

Weddings = Boring!

Even Curling is more exciting than a wedding and Curling is BORRRRING!

What is curling you may ask, click here and find out

Weddings cost money, you don't need a tux and a fancy dress. Too much money! 

Photographers? Ask everyone to bring a digitial camera and email you the photos.

Post wedding reception? White Castle, Burger King, McDonalds. The kids will play all day in the play area, there will usually be a TV in the background with a ball game on for the guys and plenty of diet coke refills for the women who think that drinking 2 gallons of it daily is healthy and helps them lose weight and there is free Wi Fi for the teenie boppers and Facebook addicts.

The Never Ending Battle

taco_harvell

Quote from: Scott on April 29, 2011, 05:49:22 PM
Quote from: MellowYellow on April 29, 2011, 02:24:22 PM

For the most part they are inbred powerless figureheads. (Seriously, not joking about the inbred part) The have rules about who they can and cannot marry - they must keep their '' blood line '' pure.

So that's what they been trying to do in Kentucky and Arkansas all these years. Didn't know those states had any similarities to royalty till now. You learn something new everyday.

:laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard:

For those of you from these states RELAX it was just a joke.  :couch:

In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

Scott

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_intermarriage

Royal intermarriage is the practice of members of royal families marrying into other royal families. It was more commonly done in the past for reasons of state and in order to maintain the purity of bloodlines. Historically, royal marriages often sealed alliances or pacts, and were instrumental in many countries' diplomatic relations. Over many generations, intermarriage between royals came to a point where most royals became related to all other royals.

Royal intermarriage became practiced widely as a way of ensuring all members of a royal family were descended from royalty as opposed to commoners. This class distinction gave rise to many house laws stipulating who a dynast could marry to have an equal marriage; marriages outside this were considered morganatic. This often occurred in monarchies with such small courts that it became a means of maintaining relations, such as Europe and princely India under the British Raj.

If a member of a royal family married someone not of appropriate status, they sometimes lost succession rights, titles, or other varied royal privileges. A frequent occurrence was for their children and spouse to receive a lesser title, although these cadet branches sometimes were deemed suitable for marriage into other families. This occurred when Prince Alexander of Hesse and by Rhine married the lesser Countess Julia von Hauke. Julia and the morganatic children of this union were given the style of Serene Highness and title of Prince(ss) of Battenberg. The Battenberg family later married into the royal families of Sweden and Spain, and descendants into the royal families of Britain, Greece, Denmark, and other countries. Similarly, the Teck family, from which Queen Mary of the United Kingdom came, was a morganatic branch of the royal House of Württemberg.

Over time, due to the relatively small pool of potential consorts, the gene pool of many regional royal families grew progressively smaller, until all European royalty were related, often to their consorts as well. This also resulted in many being descended from a certain person through many lines of descent, such as the numerous European royals and nobles descended from the British Queen Victoria or King Christian IX of Denmark. The House of Habsburg was infamous for its inbreeding, with the Habsburg lip cited as an ill-effect. The Habsburgs frequently married within the family and the closely related houses of Bourbon and Wittelsbach, uncle-niece and double-cousin and first-cousin unions occurring frequently.

British and Spanish royal families

A well-known example of royal intermarriage and interrelation today is that of Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (born a Prince of Greece and Denmark). Prince Philip is the son of Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark and Princess Alice of Battenberg, whose mother Princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine and paternal grandfather, Prince Alexander of Hesse and by Rhine, were both members of the same paternal family. Princess Alice's father's brother, Prince Henry of Battenberg, meanwhile, married Princess Beatrice (a daughter of Elizabeth II's great-great-grandmother, Queen Victoria). Their daughter, Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg married King Alfonso XIII of Spain, and her grandson, the present king, Juan Carlos, married Princess Sophia of Greece & Denmark, whose father was a cousin of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. Alternatively, Queen Elizabeth's great-great-grandfather, King Christian IX of Denmark, was also Prince Philip's great-grandfather. They are also related several times through Princess Sophia, Electress of Hanover.

(I know it is Wiki pedia, but from what I've read in the past, this is pretty acruate.

The Never Ending Battle

Scott

Queen Elizabeth and her husband are 3rd Cousins, which makes their kids their 4th cousins. Cousin Mom and Cousin Dad to Charlie and Andrew.

Fergie and Di were even related to their Hubbies, but distantly.

Since it is family marrying family.... Even more boring!

The Never Ending Battle

Amelia Bedelia

Well Kate was a commoner so it should help infuse the gene pool with some less horsey looking genes... or so we can hope anyway.

The hoopla in the press was a bit much but honestly I'm happy to see a traditional marriage celebrated in the news for once and people sincerely hoping for the best for them.  There is so much cynicism towards marriage these days (unless its homosexual marriage, then its all about the fairy tales and rainbows that they are being deprived of)  I'm glad to see people being excited about a wedding

Everyone has done stupid things while growing up, but not everyone had to go through them in the public eye.  William has done a lot better than Harry and even Harry seems to have been reeled in a bit.

I hope Will and Kate's marriage can thrive - it certainly won't be easy but I hope they show that it can be done

Also, I think according to polls - more americans care about the nuptials than the brits... they just like having the day off work

Melody

If they still practice bloodline marriage, then Kate is royal blood, like Diana was & they said all the same stuff about her.  Kate was then raised that way. Her family is wealthy. "Common" is a technical term lost on us Americans. And not ever person lives wildly before marriage. I think it's just another case of celebrity infatuation.  To make it any more than any other celebrity marriage is sad.

Amelia Bedelia

Kate's family is not related, part of why its taken 8 years. They were average people and built up a small business, which gave them the money to send kate to school where she met william. Many are hoping that the self-made middletons will be an example - they are a product of the free market thinking of the 80s

RainbowJingles

Quote from: Scott on April 29, 2011, 06:49:56 PM
Post wedding reception? White Castle, Burger King, McDonalds. The kids will play all day in the play area, there will usually be a TV in the background with a ball game on for the guys and plenty of diet coke refills for the women who think that drinking 2 gallons of it daily is healthy and helps them lose weight and there is free Wi Fi for the teenie boppers and Facebook addicts.

:spitlaugh:

So does everyone pay for their own, or does the happy couple spring for Happy Meals for everyone?

Scott

Quote from: RainbowJingles on April 30, 2011, 09:58:43 PM
Quote from: Scott on April 29, 2011, 06:49:56 PM

:spitlaugh:

So does everyone pay for their own, or does the happy couple spring for Happy Meals for everyone?

Oh I supposed the married couple could spring - if they have coupons!

The Never Ending Battle

Melody

I suppose if 12th cousins doesn't count, then they're not related.  :updown:

MsJennJenn

Quote from: Amelia Bedelia on April 30, 2011, 04:16:47 AM
Well Kate was a commoner so it should help infuse the gene pool with some less horsey looking genes... or so we can hope anyway.

The hoopla in the press was a bit much but honestly I'm happy to see a traditional marriage celebrated in the news for once and people sincerely hoping for the best for them.  There is so much cynicism towards marriage these days (unless its homosexual marriage, then its all about the fairy tales and rainbows that they are being deprived of)  I'm glad to see people being excited about a wedding.

Agreed! Great opinion!  :thumbsup2:
-Alexander Den Heijer-

Niki

Quote from: Amelia Bedelia on April 30, 2011, 04:16:47 AM

The hoopla in the press was a bit much but honestly I'm happy to see a traditional marriage celebrated in the news for once and people sincerely hoping for the best for them.  There is so much cynicism towards marriage these days (unless its homosexual marriage, then its all about the fairy tales and rainbows that they are being deprived of)  I'm glad to see people being excited about a wedding

Everyone has done stupid things while growing up, but not everyone had to go through them in the public eye.  William has done a lot better than Harry and even Harry seems to have been reeled in a bit.

I hope Will and Kate's marriage can thrive - it certainly won't be easy but I hope they show that it can be done

Also, I think according to polls - more americans care about the nuptials than the brits... they just like having the day off work

Agreed. I love weddings. One of my favorite things in life. I wish I could go to more weddings, but most people I know are already married.
When you say "Jesus" you've said everything.

Melody

I don't buy for a minute that this was traditional marriage celebrated.  This was the rich & famous doing something big & gaudy admired by those who wish they were that rich.

Scott

I don't get the love for weddings. They are the most boring things ever.  I usually sleep through most of them or go outside until it is over.  My wife has an uncle in poor health, when we are at weddings and I see him wak out, I leave to go check up on him and then I hang out with him to "make sure he is okay".

He hates weddings so much that he went out and had a special Tee Shirt made up, it looks like a Tuxedo.

Top Ten Things More exciting than weddings:

10. Watching Grass Grow
09. Watching a pot of water come to a boil
08. Watching a book sit on the table
07. Cleaning my toe nails
06. Washing my hair
05. Sitting on the front porch, drinking tea and watching the cars go by
04. Listening to Seth talk about his birds
03. Clipping my finger nails
02. Re runs of Leave it to Beaver

And the number one thing more exciting than weddings:  goat roping.

The Never Ending Battle

Lynx

I don't buy the idea that everyone here is sick of the royal wedding.  There are too many people making too many posts about it.  When I'm sick of something I don't want to talk about it, positive or negative - I'm sick of it and I want to go somewhere else, do something else and talk about something else.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Scott

ahh but you see, it is a discussion board!

And my job is to stir the pot!

The Never Ending Battle

Niki

Everyone has their likes and dislikes. It's all opinion. My opinion is that weddings are wonderful and beautiful. :) You might find something interesting that I think is really boring.

My husband loves fast cars and drag racing. I think they're about as boring as it can get. *yawn*
When you say "Jesus" you've said everything.

MsJennJenn

Quote from: MellowYellow on May 02, 2011, 01:00:48 AM
I don't buy for a minute that this was traditional marriage celebrated.  This was the rich & famous doing something big & gaudy admired by those who wish they were that rich.

I don't think that - it was a royal wedding. There were A LOT of customs they had to follow to even get married. Royal family weddings are full of custom. The only reason it was "presented" as something big and gaudy was because of ALL of the hoopla and press about it.

If it was kept out of the news, and private you wouldn't think that would you? lol
-Alexander Den Heijer-