Main Menu

Opinions about marriage

Started by World Traveler, June 21, 2010, 03:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

Quote from: The Cold Water Kid on June 22, 2010, 01:05:00 PM
Quote from: Scott on June 22, 2010, 12:53:48 PM
*sits back watching the single guys dig a hole*
I admit it sounds a little shocking on the surface, but let it soak in and it makes sense.

:popcorn:

"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

TheGirl

Quote from: YooperYankDude on June 22, 2010, 05:56:19 PM
Quote from: Just Plain Ole Barb on June 22, 2010, 04:29:29 PM
* Just Plain Ole Barb thinks GP seriously needs a :like: button or smiley lol

I like that one... now if it was just a guy smiley, I'd keep using it!  :great:

Are you discriminating?

SippinTea

*smothers a laugh* Yeah, somehow the pink/purple thing and the swirling hearts don't really seem like Thomas. *grin*

:beret:
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

TheGirl

but to use a smiley does it really have to be a boy or a girl smiley? lol

Discriminator    :crackwhip:

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Quote from: TheGirl on June 22, 2010, 07:33:59 PM
Quote from: YooperYankDude on June 22, 2010, 05:56:19 PM
Quote from: Just Plain Ole Barb on June 22, 2010, 04:29:29 PM
* Just Plain Ole Barb thinks GP seriously needs a :like: button or smiley lol

I like that one... now if it was just a guy smiley, I'd keep using it!  :great:

Are you discriminating?

Nope... But it does feel wierd to be a guy and putting in a girl smiley...

Quote from: SippinTea on June 22, 2010, 07:37:35 PM
*smothers a laugh* Yeah, somehow the pink/purple thing and the swirling hearts don't really seem like Thomas. *grin*

Yay... but then I don't wear pink or purple shirts either, ever! lol

Quote from: TheGirl on June 22, 2010, 07:44:29 PM
but to use a smiley does it really have to be a boy or a girl smiley? lol

Discriminator    :crackwhip:

Aye... watch out Newsman... yourgal has a whip!   :laughhard:

Feed The Bachelors 2010

The Cold Water Kid

Quote from: SippinTea on June 22, 2010, 03:36:42 PM
I told myself I wasn't going to rant in here, but I changed my mind. Here goes...
I don't disagree with most of your post, but then I also don't see what it has to do with my comments either. I never said an emotionless "business marriage" was desirable, who thinks that? Who goes into a marriage expecting to have that 30 years down the road? It's a straw man argument.

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Quote from: The Cold Water Kid on June 22, 2010, 08:52:38 PM
Quote from: SippinTea on June 22, 2010, 03:36:42 PM
I told myself I wasn't going to rant in here, but I changed my mind. Here goes...
I don't disagree with most of your post, but then I also don't see what it has to do with my comments either. I never said an emotionless "business marriage" was desirable, who thinks that? Who goes into a marriage expecting to have that 30 years down the road? It's a straw man argument.

Straw man argument?  :o

Is that your response to every post you don't agree with?

I thought Ruby's post was excellent and was valid!

Feed The Bachelors 2010

The Cold Water Kid

Quote from: YooperYankDude on June 22, 2010, 08:59:42 PM
No, but I do disagree with every straw man post.

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Quote from: The Cold Water Kid on June 22, 2010, 09:07:12 PM
Quote from: YooperYankDude on June 22, 2010, 08:59:42 PM
No, but I do disagree with every straw man post.

I personally think those posts you are calling straw man posts are pertinent, valid, and good....

Feed The Bachelors 2010

Melody

This is hysterical.  Nathan and I are sitting here laughing.  He said it's a good thing CWK didn't mention how the car immediately depreciates in value the first time you drive it off the lot.  :o  I'm starting to wonder if CWK is even for real or if it's someone on purposely posting ridiculous things?

Though marriage is indeed a covenant, there is a very acute difference between covenant and contract.

oh and...

GO BARB!  Loved the comment earlier.. I thought.. " That's it, right in the kisser."  ☺

Babs

Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

The Cold Water Kid

Quote from: MellowYellow on June 22, 2010, 10:07:40 PM
I'm starting to wonder if CWK is even for real or if it's someone on purposely posting ridiculous things?
The car isn't the point of the analogy so much as the transaction, what it takes to get it. We all know the value of a virtuous woman can't be measured, it's "far above rubies". Someone opened this thread comparing marriage to business, I tried to expand on that idea in a meaningful way. What's so ridiculous about that? As to love in a marriage, it's apple pie and motherhood; no defense necessary. Of course falling in love is a huge part of marriage, that's a given, we can set that part of the equation to the side.

titushome

Marriage is not supposed to be anything like a business contract.  Marriage should be a life-long covenant relationship between a man and a woman, as directed by God.  Each of us should marry the person God directs us to marry, or not marry at all if that's God's plan for us.  And even when we marry under God's direction, even when two people ideally suited for each other join their lives in marriage, it still takes a whole lotta work, a whole lotta self-giving love, to keep the marriage alive and growing.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I fail to see any parallel at all between a business relationship and a marriage relationship (as they ought to be, that is).
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

The Cold Water Kid

Quote from: titushome on June 22, 2010, 11:41:25 PM
Marriage is not supposed to be anything like a business contract.  Marriage should be a life-long covenant relationship between a man and a woman, as directed by God.
You say covenant I say contract, the definitions are the same according to dictionary.com
an agreement between two or more parties for the doing or not doing of something specified.
Quote from: titushome on June 22, 2010, 11:41:25 PM
Each of us should marry the person God directs us to marry, or not marry at all if that's God's plan for us.
I respect your view in this, and you might be right, God knows, but not everyone agrees with the idea that God chooses our mate for us. I'm not convinced that He does, based partly on Paul's comment:

1 Corinthians 7:39
A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to marry anyone she wishes, but he must belong to the Lord.

Why would Paul say she could marry whomever she wishes if he believed Jesus had one man in mind for her above all others? I can't reconcile the two trains of thought.

The Cold Water Kid

Quote from: YooperYankDude on June 22, 2010, 09:55:16 PM
I personally think those posts you are calling straw man posts are pertinent, valid, and good....
Well, if you feel like I've slighted you send me your email address and I'll be happy to break it down for you. I wouldn't want to leave with anyone thinking I'd slandered them.

The Cold Water Kid

Quote from: SippinTea on June 22, 2010, 02:32:38 PM
SCORE!! ;)
GO BARB!  Loved the comment earlier.. I thought.. " That's it, right in the kisser."  ☺
"SCORE"? "...right in the kisser"? Really? Who are you scoring points against, the body of Christ? Who's taking one on "the kisser"? Jesus? Come on ladies, you're both better than this. An adversarial approach doesn't help, it just stirs up bad feelings... so why have anything to do with it?

Babs

i have my moments lol
Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

SippinTea

CWK - I somehow think my meaning was clear to everyone else in the thread. And somehow I don't feel like explaining it further for just one person to understand. :)

This is hysterical.  Nathan and I are sitting here laughing.  He said it's a good thing CWK didn't mention how the car immediately depreciates in value the first time you drive it off the lot.  :o  I'm starting to wonder if CWK is even for real or if it's someone on purposely posting ridiculous things?

I would be inclined to agree, except that CWK's posts are all too familiar from another time and place; errr...thread(s). Ah, well, he comes back in different forms every time. ;) And he must be entertained by our debates around here or he wouldn't keep coming back. *laugh*

"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

upcchris

hmm...forgive me for interjecting with my 5c...but this thread seems to be becoming a little...well...abrasive  :couch: something I didn't expect from a marriage opinion thread...[EDIT] but maybe I should've considering how abrasive some relationships can be at times  :smirk2:

Marriage is a binding relationship, a lasting promise, certainly not something to be entered into lightly, you really need a selfless outlook for a good one...people entering into marriage need to remember the other person is a human being with emotions, problems and flaws just the same as them...they're just wired a little differently, and you need a lot of communication beforehand so...to a certain extentent, you know what to expect and what is expected.

:grouphug:
Television is proof the people will look at anything rather than eachother

Life would be so much easier without hormones

Of all God's creations, humans are the only ones with enough imagination to be bored

Humans are fallible, and they unreasonably expect everyone else not to be

Tina~Chris

Melody

Quote from: SippinTea on June 23, 2010, 01:08:01 AMI would be inclined to agree, except that CWK's posts are all too familiar from another time and place; errr...thread(s). Ah, well, he comes back in different forms every time. ;) And he must be entertained by our debates around here or he wouldn't keep coming back. *laugh*

Oh, hmmm... is this then someone I would know from before?  In any case, we get all kinds of colorful people on here, including me at times.  It makes it more interesting that's for sure.  As far as a car, Nathan is always loosing the keys, so what does that mean?   ;)

And I'm being playful, which everyone else knows.  I said kisser cause that's where our words pour out, I was picturing more of a sour face than a punched one.  I suppose with your approach, I took you for not being easily offended.  Which people say they're not but if they weren't, wouldn't get riled up at silliness.  I mean honestly, you don't REALLY see marriage like buying an inanimate object, you were just throwing the thread author a bone, right?

titushome

Quote from: The Cold Water Kid on June 22, 2010, 11:52:46 PM
You say covenant I say contract, the definitions are the same according to dictionary.com
an agreement between two or more parties for the doing or not doing of something specified.

True, the denotative meanings of the two words are almost identical.  For most people I've talked with, though, the connotative meanings are very different: the word "covenant" carries with it a sense of the sacred, whereas "contract" is used in a more strictly legal sense.  Thus I view a covenant as being more meaningful, even transcendent, and more binding than a contract.  Also, covenant agreements are usually concerned primarily with what each party is to give, while contract agreements stipulate what each party is both to give and receive in return.

Quote from: The Cold Water Kid on June 22, 2010, 11:52:46 PM
I respect your view in this, and you might be right, God knows, but not everyone agrees with the idea that God chooses our mate for us. I'm not convinced that He does, based partly on Paul's comment:

1 Corinthians 7:39
A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to marry anyone she wishes, but he must belong to the Lord.

Why would Paul say she could marry whomever she wishes if he believed Jesus had one man in mind for her above all others? I can't reconcile the two trains of thought.

The two trains of thought are easily reconciled: God has one person in mind for each of us at any given time in our lives.  But if one spouse dies, then the other enters a new phase of life in which God may have another person in mind for them as a marriage partner.  The key is, as long as both live they are to be bound to each other and no one else.

On the other hand, the clause "she is free to marry anyone she wishes" strongly suggests that, as you said, perhaps God does not choose our mate for us.  Perhaps he expects us to choose our own mate, in keeping with Godly principles.  A strong argument could be made for either side, but I think in the end it's probably two sides of the same coin: if I'm the kind of person God wants me to be, living the way he wants me to live, then the mate I'd choose for myself is probably the same on he'd choose for me.
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

So if you have a wife and a car... does that make you a polygamist?  :o

Or do you need to sell your car, once you buy your wife...?

The car scenario would explain why I am told it is cheaper to stay single... so if you have a wife and a nice car... is it 3 times as expensive... or worse yet... what if you each have a car...?

Did she buy her car, or did the husband buy her a car? This is very confusing...   :o

:cool:

Feed The Bachelors 2010

sunlight

is it bad that i have 2 cars?
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

(R.I.P.) YooperYankDude

Quote from: sunlight on June 23, 2010, 06:35:16 AM
is it bad that i have 2 cars?
bol

Well... does that mean you have two wives? or two husbands?

I own a truck, what does that mean?

Ohh, and I didn't buy it... I traded my Jeep for the truck, straight across... what does that mean?

:freaky2:

Feed The Bachelors 2010

Heather

my opinion on marriage - yay for those who have a fabulous one.

i think about marriage, and it frankly makes me want to vomit. of course that has alot to do with my horrible marriage and subsequent divorce from my 'holier than thou' preacher man ex-husband.

now on the other hand...i did go buy a new car recently........ :cool:
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali