News:

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Separation anxiety...

Started by TRAV, October 19, 2007, 03:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRAV

Are we supposed to be separated from the world or just different from it? Do you think churches are moving toward being more "open armed" to those things and people who are different or is separation and isolation being pushed more?

Are singles leaning toward being inclusive or exclusive when it comes to socializing with non-Christians?
PROVERBS 3:5,6

alohilani

To me, 'in, not of' means that we're more different from the world, rather than completely seperate. It's unhealthy to be completely isolated, I think; our mission is to reach more people, and we can't thrive in that calling unless we're actually among the people. *grin*

I think the idea that churches are more welcoming and inclusive is highly dependent on the church itself. Some are broadening their scope, others are not. ;)

I also believe singles are becoming more inclusive; for me, that means becoming more active in charity work and community programs in addition to the programs I'm involved in at church. It's networking, it's reaching out, and it's keeping me active and busy. For a single, that's a good thing! lol!

Interesting thread! ;)

newkris

hhmm.  interesting. 

curious to see what youse guys think about this.  truly.
\\\\\\\"i want to say more than words when i write\\\\\\\" - kent d. curry
me, too.

myspace.com\\\\\\\\krisknowshim
there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.

TRAV

Maybe it's easier for some to just hang out with friends who are Christians than to socialize with those who aren't. Also, there are the obvious differences in what you may want to do when hanging out together. At least there may be a different point of view on what's okay and what's not kosher.

Amelia Bedelia

I've always had a wide variety of friends and socialized with non-Christians
I just try to be the influence rather than the influencee

as long as they know what I believe and what my boundaries are and respect them - ie. curtail cursing around me or whatever

I'm all inclusive of anyone that wants to join in on good clean fun socializing - there are so many more acceptable activities than unacceptable so I focus on the good ones  :grin:  if I run out... hmmm well I'll deal with that when that happens, start from the beginning and do stuff twice I guess

and when those spiritual discussions arise I'm honored when they associate me with having bible insight and ask me - and those spring up in all sorts of places so I can't imagine that it would be more efficient to only interact with them in some controlled bible study setting

alohilani

I think that you have to be strong and wise enough to be the influence, like Mary said. It's possible to be affected by a friendship with a non-saint, so there should be balance in friendships, and of course, a personal walk with God in evidence - but that's a given! ;)

If you're the one doing the influencing, it will be difficult for the non-Christian to feel comfortable asking you to join them in partaking of unsavory entertainment, I think. I can honestly say that my non-Christian friends would rather protect me from going to, for instance, a bar, rather than wanting me to go with them.

InChristGirl

Quote from: TRAV on October 19, 2007, 04:22:50 AM
Maybe it's easier for some to just hang out with friends who are Christians than to socialize with those who aren't. Also, there are the obvious differences in what you may want to do when hanging out together. At least there may be a different point of view on what's okay and what's not kosher.

With me and my friends we have a pretty pointed view of what's kosher and what's not. Some of us have been called a prude on more than one occasion........but I'm ok with that.

TRAV

Quote from: InChristGirl on October 20, 2007, 12:49:26 AM
Quote from: TRAV on October 19, 2007, 04:22:50 AM

With me and my friends we have a pretty pointed view of what's kosher and what's not. Some of us have been called a prude on more than one occasion........but I'm ok with that.

You're okay with being called a prude, huh? Are you sure?

InChristGirl

I am.....'cause I know that the boundries that I put up are healthy, and are not meant to exclude people.

Those who are name calling simply don't understnd healthy boundries and most of the time end up having bad male/female relationships.

TRAV

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. I think when we define ourselves before others define us, we have greater inner strength.

InChristGirl

:thumbsup2:

And I soooooo need inner strength right now! But the Lord supplies, Amen.

TRAV

Separation has long been a part of what is preached at church. Do you think it's spoken as if the world is a mindset rather than a group of people?

alohilani

I think that it should be spoken that way, but all too often, it's not.

wire2john

Quote from: TRAV on October 31, 2007, 03:19:38 AM
Separation has long been a part of what is preached at church. Do you think it's spoken as if the world is a mindset rather than a group of people?
"The World" is what's gonna ruin your walk with God. Whatever it is for you, stay away from it.

Sis

We can't physically separate ourselves and obey the commandment to go into the world and preach the gospel. I think that's where the Amish fell short.

Backseat Radio

Here's some passages to consider
John 17:14-15 (KJV)
14  I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
15  I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.

I think Paul also very well deals with the mentality that so much of the holiness movement today has...

1 Corinthians 5:9-11 (NASB)
9  I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people;
10  I did not at all mean with the immoral people of this world, or with the covetous and swindlers, or with idolaters, for then you would have to go out of the world.
11  But actually, I wrote to you not to associate with any so-called brother if he is an immoral person, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or a swindler--not even to eat with such a one.

In the church today we're getting to where we do the opposite of what Paul said... we associate with so called brothers and sisters in christ that are living an ungodly lifestyle and refuse to associate with those who have never known Christ.

TRAV

Quote from: Sis on December 10, 2007, 09:20:15 AM
We can't physically separate ourselves and obey the commandment to go into the world and preach the gospel. I think that's where the Amish fell short.

....and and also driving cars.
   :updown:

Sis

Washing machines aren't bad, either. Can ya tell I'm doing laundry today?  :waving:

sunlight

i have a different type of seperation anxiety... well... i guess i could if i ever had anyone i was anxios a bout being seperated from... lol.
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

wire2john

Quote from: Backseat Radio on December 10, 2007, 03:35:43 PM
11  But actually, I wrote to you not to associate with any so-called brother if he is an immoral person, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or a swindler--not even to eat with such a one.
I think failure to heed this doctrine is causing alot of problems. Most want to wait for the Holy Ghost to turn someone out of fellowship, but that's not what our Apostle said to do.

Amelia Bedelia

Quote from: sunlight on December 12, 2007, 11:27:14 PM
i have a different type of seperation anxiety... well... i guess i could if i ever had anyone i was anxios a bout being seperated from... lol.
lol right?
thought this thread was about long distance relationships didn't you??  lol

titushome

Quote from: TRAV on October 19, 2007, 03:17:17 AM
Are we supposed to be separated from the world or just different from it? Do you think churches are moving toward being more "open armed" to those things and people who are different or is separation and isolation being pushed more?

Our separation from the world is a result of being different from it.  Jesus is our ultimate example: He gained a reputation for spending time with the worst of sinners, yet He was utterly unlike them.  That's what set Him apart, and that's what drew them to Him.
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine

TRAV

Quote from: titushome on December 13, 2007, 03:23:36 PM
Quote from: TRAV on October 19, 2007, 03:17:17 AM

Our separation from the world is a result of being different from it.  Jesus is our ultimate example: He gained a reputation for spending time with the worst of sinners, yet He was utterly unlike them.  That's what set Him apart, and that's what drew them to Him.

Maybe He was more like them than we give Him credit for. Maybe that was His intention.

wire2john

Jesus is our ultimate example: He gained a reputation for spending time with the worst of sinners, yet He was utterly unlike them. 
I don't believe this is true. He spent time with people religion considered unworthy, but they were people who wanted to do good. The proof of this is that they cared about the things he talked about; the things of God. Also, for him to have done otherwise would have contradicted the teachings in Proverbs against hanging out with thieves, drunkards and bloodthirsty men.

titushome

Quote from: wire2john on December 14, 2007, 03:14:31 AM
Jesus is our ultimate example: He gained a reputation for spending time with the worst of sinners, yet He was utterly unlike them. 
I don't believe this is true. He spent time with people religion considered unworthy, but they were people who wanted to do good. The proof of this is that they cared about the things he talked about; the things of God. Also, for him to have done otherwise would have contradicted the teachings in Proverbs against hanging out with thieves, drunkards and bloodthirsty men.

You have a good point here in that Jesus probably didn't spend a lot of time hanging out with sinners who had no interest in the things of God.  I agree that He was on the hunt for the ones who were hungry.  Or as He Himself said, He came "to seek and save that which was lost."

But the purpose of the warnings in the Proverbs is to keep us from hanging out with people who might negatively influence us.  If we are at a point in our walk with God that we are sufficiently Christ-like that their presence will not influence us to sin, then those warnings no longer apply.

But each of us must exercise extreme scrutiny when determining who we personally can safely spend time with.  Drunkards?  For me, that's not a problem.  The temptation to have a beer with the guys has absolutely no pull on me, so if I feel the Lord wants me to spend some time hanging out with the guys while they drink their beers, I'll obey the Lord and not worry about the warning against drunkards.

If, however, the guys are talking about going downtown to check out the girls, I'll pass - I know that I might be tempted to join in with them.  I don't need to subject myself to that kind of temptation.

Just a thought.  :D
"You stir man to take pleasure in praising you, because you have made us for yourself, and our heart is restless until it rests in you."
- Augustine