Might have been a part of church
Instead of just coasting through
But I'm kind of weak myself right now
I'm sorry
But I'm running on the minimum, you see
I don't have any power to help you
I only have just enough for me
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Lynx

COOKIES

Recently I was listening to a comedian talking about how his mother was "mean" to him when he was a kid.  "Not only would she not let me have a cookie before supper - with the pathetic excuse that it would ruin my dinner - she put the cookies on top of the refrigerator.  Now how cruel is that?  You know, I have read the top, bottom and all sides of that cookie package, and not one place on there does it say 'Keep out of reach of children.'"

"Where was the bleach stored?  Under the kitchen sink with the rest of the poisons."

I was thinking about this one day and I started remembering some of the times I've asked God for a cookie, and God told me no.

The thing about cookies is, they are not obvious poisons.  We know the things that are poisonous to a christian life - drinking, lies, idols, lust, etc, we know they are toxic and we should avoid them.  The Bible warns us about them repeatedly, and even if we didn't have the Bible we could observe the effects of these poisons in many people we know.  God doesn't have to put them out of our reach and we don't have to ask if we can have these things.  Everyone knows they are poisons.

Cookies, though, are not obviously harmful.  In fact, other christians have some of the cookies I would like to have, and they do just fine.  A new job, new career, new hobby, maybe I would like God to heal a friend - nothing wrong with these things.  But God sometimes says no, for the same reason a mother says no.  Because if God gave me what I asked for it would get in the way of what I need. 

When I was a kid I couldn't understand why my mother would be so callous as to not let me have a cookie.  I mean really, what a tightwad!  They're not that expensive, she could have spared one.  But my mother knew if I had a cookie AT THAT TIME it would interfere with the supper that was actually beneficial to me. It wasn't that a cookie was bad, but that it would get in the way of something better.

Have you ever asked for something and had God tell you no?  Maybe you would like to move to a better location.  Maybe you would like to find that special someone for you, maybe you're tired of waiting for a partner in your life.  Maybe you would like to advance your ministry in some area.  Maybe you would like something that you can't see any harm in, something you think would improve your life - and maybe it would.  But maybe it's a cookie.  Maybe it's something you can have later, or maybe it's something you won't be able to have at all, but it's something that would get in the way of God's plans for you right now. 

Problem is, like kids we can get so focused on the cookies we want...
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Lynx

WISDOM OF A DOG

By Dan, an Australian Shepherd mix
(coauthored by my human, because I don't have fingers)

1. Always assume people you meet are friends unless they do something to prove they are not.  You might get hurt once in a while but you meet a lot more friends that way.

2. Wag more, bark less.

3. There will be some grumpy people in life.  Just avoid them.  There are a lot more nice people than grumpy people anyway.  And above all, don't let the grumps make YOU grumpy. 

4. Be glad to be here, wherever here happens to be.  It's a big, wide, wonderful world and you only have one life to explore it.  There's no time to waste growling about life.

5. If you're stuck in a boring situation, the best thing to do is take a nap.  You'll need your energy when the boring part is over. 

6. If Master says "NO" stop doing whatever you were doing and look innocent.  If Master says "NO" every time you do something, don't do it anymore.  I think we dogs are better at this one than humans...

7. Don't waste time worrying about basic stuff like food and shelter.  Master will take care of that.  He's the one who brought you to his home, he wanted you here, he'll supply what you need.  Worrying about stuff like that takes time away from the good stuff in life.

8. Sometimes Master will do some strange things that you don't understand.  Don't worry about it, Master knows what He's doing.  Trying to figure it out can make your head hurt.

9. Although you can't always figure out what Master is doing, you should be there when Master is doing something.  You never know what will happen, and you probably don't want to miss it.

10. Spend less time inside and more time outside.  Outside is where the interesting stuff is. 

11. Be thankful for everything, even if it's the same old food every day.  It's FOOD! 
"Do you sing at church?"