News:

Did you sleep well? No, I made a few mistakes. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Ramblings (not neccesarily by Classic)

Started by SippinTea, November 17, 2006, 04:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SippinTea

Quote from: SippinTea on March 11, 2007, 06:02:56 AM
Interesting how life takes such odd twists and turns, isn't it? Things you never expected, things you never wanted but they happened anyway, things you always longed for but thought would never happen, events that 'just happened', people you 'just happened' to meet...and somewhere in the center of it all our choices lie. Choices to accept the things we never wanted and choices to grow through that experience...choices to make that phone call or write that letter...choices to forgive and let it go...choices to live in the moment of the unexpected pleasures, taking them as they come.  Choices that can be exciting and frightening--sometimes both at the same time. Knowing that the opportunity to make that choice won't come again, because it's only in that moment--and you won't pass this way again.

Going somewhere means leaving somewhere. Choosing something mean choosing against other things. Gaining something means losing something else. And between the old and new--the 'was' and the 'not yet'--there exists only one thing: a very frightening journey called faith.
--taken from the book Coming Up For Air

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. "
James 1:5-6

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts"
Col. 3:15

"And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."
Phil 4:7

Points of Ponderance...

:beret:

Yeah, what she said. LOL Whoever she is, she sounds like she knows what she's talking about. Anyone know her? I think I'd like to meet someone who has it all together like that.

*cough*

Edited to correct a typo.
"Not everything that is of God is easy." -Elona

"When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." -F. Chan

"A real live hug anytime you want it is priceless." -Rachel

MelodyB

Sometimes, that Grl really DOES know what she is talking about. She really does. ;)

*HUG*
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

newkris

i know that writer, well.  :pwink:  she's smarter than she thinks she is. 
\\\\\\\"i want to say more than words when i write\\\\\\\" - kent d. curry
me, too.

myspace.com\\\\\\\\krisknowshim
there are times in the whirlwind of my fragile life that i have hidden under your words, your voice.

sunlight

yup... what she said... ^

I agree though... sometimes i think thinks and I know that I know, and other times I think back and wonder what it was I thought i knew in the first place... and have since forgotten... or not...
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

MelodyB

Quote from: SippinTea on March 31, 2007, 08:37:12 PM
The perfect quote for a gal like me that doesn't believe in fairy tales...

"True love comes quietly, without banners or flashing lights. If you hear bells, get your ears checked."  --Erich Segal

:updown: ...oh, wait that's  :beret:

*COUGH*

MelodyB

Ooooooo. This one is especially good!

Quote from: SippinTea on April 21, 2007, 08:49:22 PM
When I can't see the path:
James 1:5,6--If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.

James 3:17--But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.

When I don't get the answer I thought I would:
Psalm 84:11--For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.

Matthew 7:11--If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

James 1:17--Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

And when I'm confident of the promise, but the fulfillment doesn't seem to be appearing:
Heb. 11:1--Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Heb. 11:39-40a--These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. God had planned something better for us...

.....and we're back to that word TRUST. Trust Him to lead when I can't see the path....trust Him that the answers He gives are the right ones...trust Him to fulfill the promise in the right time and in the right way.

Why is it that I arrogantly assume I can arrange my life better than the King of Kings can? Completely ludicrous. And shows how pathetic I really am....

Okay, God...it's me again. I choose to trust You. All my questions, all my fears, all my hopes, all my wishes and dreams, all my insecurities, all my inadequacies, all the gifts you've already given me...I place them back in Your hands. But please, Jesus, use them to grow me more like You. My life is in Your hands...right where it belongs.

sunlight

SippinTea

*ahem* Um, Mel? Are you trying to tell me something?

Pffft. :P

The Purple Fuzzy

Quote from: MelodyB on March 21, 2011, 03:52:23 PM
Quote from: SippinTea on March 31, 2007, 08:37:12 PM
The perfect quote for a gal like me that doesn't believe in fairy tales...

"True love comes quietly, without banners or flashing lights. If you hear bells, get your ears checked."  --Erich Segal

:updown: ...oh, wait that's  :beret:

*COUGH*
LOL!  Wonder if anyone's had their ears checked lately...    :biglaugh:

SippinTea

Babs

Religion is worthless until it is able to move outside the walls.

My latest blog post.

sunlight

Babs

My latest blog post.

SippinTea

They were Erich Segal's words, not mine! So I don't have to eat them! :pound:

:P

Babs

My latest blog post.

RainbowJingles

Quote from: SippinTea on August 08, 2008, 02:35:03 AM
Going somewhere means leaving somewhere. Choosing something mean choosing against other things. Gaining something means losing something else. And between the old and new--the 'was' and the 'not yet'--there exists only one thing: a very frightening journey called faith.
--taken from the book Coming Up For Air

Wow.

Just wow.

*sigh*

SippinTea

That is one of my all-time fav quotes. :) It's been my sig line on my primary email acct for years now.

SippinTea

5:30AM Thoughts from Luke 5

The background - Peter & Co. were cleaning their nets. Getting ready to go home and sleep. They'd worked hard; fished all night - but had only dirty nets and worn out bodies to show for their efforts. No fish at all. Not even a minnow.

But then Jesus showed up.

And when He shows up things begin to change. Even when it doesn't look like it at first. That's the funny thing about Jesus. You don't always see when He first shows up. But just give Him a little room in your boat, give Him a little room in your life, obey what He tells you to do, and - BAM!! you'll notice Him soon enough. And not in a small way, either.

Peter was smart about it. He made room in his boat. He made room in his life. And he obeyed.

That was how he found himself scrubbing his nets while Jesus was teaching from his boat. That doesn't sound like church on Sunday morning. It doesn't sound pretty. Or dressed up. It doesn't neat and tidy. Or even focused on God. But it DOES sound like someone who made room for Jesus in their boat.

That was also how Peter found himself headed out toward deep water with his cleaned-up nets. Peter (in his usual blunt way) even reminded Jesus "Master, we've been fishing hard all night and haven't caught even a minnow. But if you say so, I'll let out the nets." That doesn't sound overly hopeful. That doesn't sound full of faith. It doesn't sound like he expected anything to happen, except getting the nets dirty and having to clean them again. But it DOES sound obedient.

Which is how he suddenly found his nets strained past their capacity, and had to call for help from his buddies.

Peter was overwhelmed. I've no doubt you and I would have been, too.

He fell to his knees in front of Jesus and said "Master, leave. I'm a sinner and can't handle this holiness. Leave me to myself."

Now here's where I can't help getting a bit amused at Peter. Not in a mean way. Amused because, well, I think I get it. Because when I'm confronted by God and His holiness I tend to be so overwhelmed that I get fearful and feel like crawling in a hole all by myself.

But unless I'm missing something, it doesn't look like Jesus answered Peter's pathetic and overwhelmed statements just then. Unless, perhaps, it was to tell him to get back on his feet and keep working. Because the very next statement says "when they pulled in that catch of fish, awe overwhelmed... everyone." Now, I'm no fisherman, but pulling in a catch of fish that huge sounds like an awful lot of work. It doesn't sound quick. It doesn't sound clean and tidy. It sounds to me like it would be rather chaotic. And messy. But unless I'm missing something, it wasn't until they got the fish pulled in that Jesus had something more to say to Peter.

"There is nothing to fear. From now on you'll be fishing for men and women."

That's right. He told Peter he had nothing to fear. Nothing to fear from seeing his own sinfulness in the face of holiness. And get this: Jesus didn't leave when Peter wanted him to. Or maybe Peter really didn't want Jesus to leave - he just said so because of being overwhelmed. And maybe, just maybe, Jesus knew that.

But not only did Peter get told to not fear, he also got a glimpse of his future. That's right - a man confronted by his own sinful self gets a picture of who and what he can (and will) become.

That's one of my favorite things about God, I think. He never confronts our sinfulness without also giving us hope that things can be different. I love that about Him.

sunlight