News:

Did you sleep well? No, I made a few mistakes. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Is it just me?? Feeling alone in Sharing 493..

Started by Roscoe, April 05, 2014, 02:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taco_harvell

Quote from: Psalm_97 on April 09, 2014, 10:49:25 AM
SHHHHH!  Taco don't say that!  You'll upset the fanboys. 

Although actually Mac OS was a remodeled BSD clone.  But few even know what BSD is.  Apple's OS is easier to install than the original BSD ever was though. 

ADD-ON EDIT:  Actually there's a rumor that Apple tried to hire Linus himself (by that time he was already famous) but he declined and continued working on Linux.
:hypocrite: :hypocrite: :hypocrite:
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

MsJennJenn

Quote from: Psalm_97 on April 09, 2014, 10:49:25 AM
SHHHHH!  Taco don't say that!  You'll upset the fanboys. 

Although actually Mac OS was a remodeled BSD clone.  But few even know what BSD is.  Apple's OS is easier to install than the original BSD ever was though. 

ADD-ON EDIT:  Actually there's a rumor that Apple tried to hire Linus himself (by that time he was already famous) but he declined and continued working on Linux.

I am not a boy thank you!   :pound:

And Linux is worth about $1.4 billion, and Apple about $651.5 billion.
So regardless of if they mirror platforms, Apple's advertising and push to get the public to buy is like 600x more effective then Linux. Yea yea, it's not about the money....but it is really.
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

Lynx

Who said you were a boy? I never said anything about you. I was talking about fanboys.

And where on earth did you get information about the worth of Linux? Linux has no net worth. It's free. That's the whole point. Canonical, the company that makes Ubuntu, might have a net worth.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

The Purple Fuzzy

MelodyB

This may be a discussion for another thread, but do you think we should stop using certain products/services just because they support things we dont believe in? I mean if we did that to ALL places and things that support non-Biblical things, then we couldnt go anywhere, eat anywhere or buy anything....everything seems to support SOMETHING nowadays.

My cousins who I live with, dont go to Starbucks anymore, they wont go to Disney World/Land and they just found out on the news last night that Firefox (or Mozilla Inc) supports Gay stuff. Now, (since they had to use my computer recently and they know I use FF) are harassing me to get rid of it and use something else. I dont want to. I dont pay any money to use their browser, and I like it. I dont like IE anymore, and I dont care for Safari or Chrome. I want to keep my own things that I prefer and leave it at that...no matter who they support or dont support.

As for Starbucks and Disney, Ill go there when and if I please. Its my money, and just because I buy a product or visit an amusement park, it doesnt mean that I support what they support. If I wanted to support Gay marriage or any other thing, I would give the money directly to that. But I dont. But I do enjoy a Starbucks once in awhile!

What do yall think? Should we stop going to these places or using a free web browser just because of the company's beliefs?

Im not looking for a debate. Just a few personal opinions from friends.
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

MelodyB

BTW, Im alive.

Two more weeks at Harveys Grocery store in the Deli, then I move on to Winn Dixie and see where they want me to be. Im excited and anxious and sad all at once. I really like my job at Harveys and I dont want to leave, and Ive made lots of friends who are not all going to WD with me.

Oh well. God knows and He did it, so Im not worried. Ill be ok.
Have you slapped that one dude from Indiana with a pie in the face today?

MsJennJenn

I'm with you. If we stopped supporting/buying/visiting places that support things we don't agree with, we'd have to stay at home.
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-

Melody

I don't even have the capacity to research all the immoral things companies support and/or directly contribute to, nor do I have the ability to replace everything I live my life with, economically.

However, having said that, I think there is a personal element. I personally try and stay away from Pepsi products because they unashamedly use aborted fetus tissue somehow in the process of flavor enhancing it's products. Not to say there are aborted babies IN the food but just the fact that they contribute significantly to the abortion business being just that. I just don't want to spend much if any of the money we work for toward that. But that is ME.  I couldn't care less about what others do. I felt moved to do this. I also don't think I can keep up with the massive amounts of products Pepsi makes so I might be using something I'm unaware is theirs. But I'm pretty sure I do not buy any of their food/drink.

I'll drink Starbucks if I feel like wasting that much money, and I have.   Lol  But Panera has $1.75 hazelnut coffee that you add your own sugar and creamer to at the little counter. I basically feel like I'm getting a latte. 

I also have no interest in Disney land. Or Disney. Lol

I don't really have my head wrapped around how money leads people to practice homosexuality.  But buying dead babies and using them in various lab stuff, that bothers me.

On the other hand, if I could afford it, I would choose Chick File everytime because they have tried to take a stand.  That's worth something to me even if they did it to make money. 

To each their own in this subject I say. 

Lynx

From what I heard, we should stop using Firefox because the CEO said something that was anti gay. Which one is it? Are they for or against? Not that I'll stop using Firefox either way...
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Chseeads

Went to the dentist, and went to work on cards. 

Came home, eating.

Along the lines of the not supporting places you don't agree with deal....  In one of my Marsh (a grocery) stores where I worked today for inventory, I discovered that they store had pulled a handful of different card designs from the "Just Wink" brand line because a customer had went through them and pulled ones that she found offensive and complained that they shouldn't be in the store and that she was calling Marsh corporate. 

The Just Wink line is by nature a racy/edgy brand in particular.  It appeared that the person basically just kept looking through them all to find which ones they deemed offensive. 

The store is waiting to see if they hear back anything from corporate and if they don't they're putting them back on the shelf.

Melody

That's a whole lot of time spent looking at bad stuff. Lol

Lynx

Reminds me of a minister and family who were walking along the boardwalk in Hollywood.  Every so often they would pass a woman who er... almost had a dress on.  The minister would mutter "disgusting!"  Finally one of his children said, "If it's disgusting, why does daddy keep looking at them?"  His sibling said, "Maybe he likes being disgusted."
"Do you sing at church?"

Melody

Days like this remind me how important it is that I pray over Andrew and his school every morning.  It's just going to continually increase.

Register your knives.....

taco_harvell

Quote from: MelodyB on April 09, 2014, 04:00:06 PM
This may be a discussion for another thread, but do you think we should stop using certain products/services just because they support things we dont believe in? I mean if we did that to ALL places and things that support non-Biblical things, then we couldnt go anywhere, eat anywhere or buy anything....everything seems to support SOMETHING nowadays.

My cousins who I live with, dont go to Starbucks anymore, they wont go to Disney World/Land and they just found out on the news last night that Firefox (or Mozilla Inc) supports Gay stuff. Now, (since they had to use my computer recently and they know I use FF) are harassing me to get rid of it and use something else. I dont want to. I dont pay any money to use their browser, and I like it. I dont like IE anymore, and I dont care for Safari or Chrome. I want to keep my own things that I prefer and leave it at that...no matter who they support or dont support.

As for Starbucks and Disney, Ill go there when and if I please. Its my money, and just because I buy a product or visit an amusement park, it doesnt mean that I support what they support. If I wanted to support Gay marriage or any other thing, I would give the money directly to that. But I dont. But I do enjoy a Starbucks once in awhile!

What do yall think? Should we stop going to these places or using a free web browser just because of the company's beliefs?

Im not looking for a debate. Just a few personal opinions from friends.
What kind of car do they drive? All big 3 American auto makers give to pro-gay charities.

The truth is if you want to stop supporting all companies that support immoral sinful behavior move to the mountains and become Apostolic Amish. All cellphone providers support equal rights for gay partnerships. Most internet is owned by cell companies or cable companies so no internet. Turn in their social security cards and drivers license. Tell them if they really want to do it get ready to live off the grid.

taco_harvell

I do avoid Starbucks though of my own choice. Because the CEO said openly  closed minded people who were prejudiced against homosexuals were invited to take their money and invest it somewhere else. (Paraphrased) He said it to a share holder meeting. So after that I chose to abide by his request.

Roscoe

I avoid Starbucks solely because I'm a tightwad who can't stand the idea of spending $5 for a cup of coffee. :P
Morning all. NOT "Good Morning". I hate morning people. This morning is being very unkind and hard on me. I was told by my carpool partner that I appeared to either have the flu or recovering from a ten day drunk. At this point, the drunk doesn't sound bad. :smirk2: And FWIW, still no Dr. Pepper....... :clap:
But on a bright note, today is my Friday.
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

The Purple Fuzzy

Lynx

Bobby: so that explains your response when I called you that morning. But I have no idea what somebody looks like when he's recovering from a 10 day drunk. Nobody in my family does that. Would you be so kind as to take a picture and post it? :D
"Do you sing at church?"

Roscoe

Quote from: Psalm_97 on April 10, 2014, 02:19:20 PM
Bobby: so that explains your response when I called you that morning. But I have no idea what somebody looks like when he's recovering from a 10 day drunk. Nobody in my family does that. Would you be so kind as to take a picture and post it? :D
:pound: No, I shall not.
And apparently I am more cranky than I realized sans Dr Pepper. My Captain walked up and shoved an ice cold Dr Pepper in my hands this morning, saying "Drink this.  We are gonna get you in a better mood." :laughhard:
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

The Purple Fuzzy

Melody

All the more to quit, Roscoe.  Who wants something that leaves you looking like a hungover drunk?   

Heather

Mel-I text you about it. I have nothing more to say here because I know how very different I am  :cool:

Night number 2 of revival! If it's anything like last night it's gonna be great. Plus Brandon is coming with me.

I'm really kinda sad that the semester is coming to an end. I really love my sociology and anthropology professors. More than likely I will end up with my anthro teacher again in another class.
Keep it simple. Just love Jesus. -Sister Ali

MsJennJenn

I've never paid $5 for anything ever at Starbucks.

At music conference until Saturday.
-Alexander Den Heijer-

Lynx

I've never paid anything at all for anything ever at Starbucks.  I'm not much on coffee.
"Do you sing at church?"

The Purple Fuzzy

The only time I've ever bought anything there was at an airport & that's what was available.  I got a bottle of water & a muffin. Yes, it was overpriced.