News:

Did you sleep well? No, I made a few mistakes. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

In Sharing 492, Have Your Cake And Eat It Too

Started by Chseeads, February 22, 2014, 11:32:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Purple Fuzzy

It's gloomy with a chance for severe weather here today.

Melody

Nathan is off for a "Church in a Day" adventure in Thayer, MO.  He said he'd FaceTime me tonight IF the hotel has WiFi.  He's suspicious it may be like a 3rd world country since it's 5min from the AR border.  :P

Lynx

Blah. My sinuses kept me up late last night, got me up early this morning, and woke me up a couple of times in between. Fortunately I have caffeine, so I will make it.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

Roscoe

Had to go back to the range, where three hours of standing in the humidity have caused me to sweat through every stitch. Now I've gotta guard a door for a couple of hours and hope I don't offend everyone I see by smelling like a goat. :smirk2:
Supposed to get stormy here bad today- they've actually activated the SkyWarn weather net, where ham radio operators all over the state report on weather.
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Melody

Roscoe, I think the idea of ham radio communications is awesome. If only it was completely free as in you can just get on and use it, not register or anything. Does any communication exist that the gov't doesn't regulate or doesnt even care to monitor? 

Roscoe

Quote from: MellowYellow on April 03, 2014, 03:58:56 PM
Roscoe, I think the idea of ham radio communications is awesome. If only it was completely free as in you can just get on and use it, not register or anything. Does any communication exist that the gov't doesn't regulate or doesnt even care to monitor?
Not anything long range.  The whole ham thing is pretty close to free- study , pass a test, and buy the equipment. I think the test fee is like 15 bucks, and that gets your license for ten years. As far as monitoring- I doubt they monitor it very much. It is mainly self-policed, if someone malfunctions majorly, amatuers report them to the FCC, which, if the reports ar many and serious, will go after the offender.
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Melody

That's pretty neat, Roscoe.  I'm going to mention it to my guys, if that is something they'd be interested in.  Sometimes hobbies that are not time consuming school sports, expensive, outdoors all the time, are hard to come by in the city.  We all like to sing, piddle around on the piano, guitar, ukulele, but some days come up short still.  Lol

Random:

Ugh. I'm having a hard time finding a scripture I came across the other day about God not being pleased that Israel had every piece of land spoken for so that there was no where for a new family to go and settle.  I'm pretty sure it was one of the books of prophets but I cannot even remember the right verbage to look it up.  I'm not even sure that is the right context so I wanted to study it. 

The Purple Fuzzy

Quote from: MellowYellow on April 03, 2014, 01:52:21 PM
Nathan is off for a "Church in a Day" adventure in Thayer, MO.  He said he'd FaceTime me tonight IF the hotel has WiFi.  He's suspicious it may be like a 3rd world country since it's 5min from the AR border.  :P
Church in a Day is really awesome to be involved in.  It's amazing to watch them go up so fast.

Melody

Lynx

A little regulation can be a good thing. Think of the FCC as a chat room moderator. If a troll comes on causing trouble, you can report him to the moderator and get him kicked out. The nominal license is pretty good for keeping trolls from even showing up, and they are much easier to track if they do show up.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Lynx

Also it makes sure that some teenager with his bright, shiny, new antenna and absolutely no clue is not cluttering up bandwidth he should not be on. Like those frequencies reserved for emergency use.
"Do you sing at church?"

Roscoe

Don't discount the teenagers. I've spoken with several hams from age 13-17 that were more professional on the radio than the aged...
And Meller, everyone immediatly thinks of tons of antennas, but truthfully, even an apartment dweller can do SOME radio. And as far as renters go, if you've got a couple trees, you can throw a wire antenna that costs 10 bucks to make up in minutes..
I made it through the day. The weather so far has not been bad at all, despite the tons of warnings we have had. I came home and put the new altenator on the Stinkin' Lincoln. True to form with ANY repair job, something had to go wrong- in this case, the plug that plugs into the altenator disentigrated on me, forcing me to rewire it. I managed to do so competently, it appears, as everything seems to be working well. Thank God for helping me avoid a $250 repair bill by directing me to cheaper, better quality parts and giving me the ability to repair it.

Lynx

Bobby:  I used "teenager" as default.  What I mean is anyone who doesn't know anything about how it works or proper conduct, but he's able to get on the air just because he has the equipment.

Actually... the more I think of it, the more I believe a license should be required to access the internet as well.  Just something covering the basics - how to install and maintain an antivirus, making backups of the files you can't afford to lose, how to use common sense to avoid scams, that kind of stuff.  It sure would cut down on the number of people who ask me to fix computer problems that could have been prevented.

"Antivirus?  Yeah, it had norton but it only lasted 60 days.  That was three years or so ago..."  And they wonder why their computers are so bogged down with viruses.
"Do you sing at church?"

Chseeads

I'm never going to get caught up with the 59 trillion things I need to do.

Our dog, Lily, has started acting ill lately....turns out she was diabetic and is in the pet hospital at the moment. 

I bout knocked my eye out tonight.  It hurts.

Newsman

The Purple Fuzzy

Lynx

"Do you sing at church?"

Roscoe

I boasted too soon on my wiring job. Car was dead as a doornail this morning, so I went by the salvage yard and picked up the correct plug.

Roscoe

Ten and a half hours and no posts?!? What's up, everybody quitting us? Man, I thought it was dead before... :sadbounce:
I've got the Lincoln repaired, done SOME work on repairing Rusty, and spent a large amount of my afternoon kicked back in a recliner, holding my 3 month old nephew and snoozing.
Now I've eaten a delicious dinner cooked by Lou, and I intend to do nothing more productive than, well, this. :P

Lynx

Here Bro. Bobby, listen to this while you rest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_I3R3tC6Rk

It ain't southern gospel, but it's neat.  Kind of like if the Beatles did christian.
"Do you sing at church?"

MsJennJenn

"When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

Roscoe

Chseeads

Well, it's still on page 20.

I sorely sorely sorely need the Amish.

If I call the ASPCA and report myself, will they come and clean out my henhouse and pens?

sunlight

:attackhug: Be full of hugs!

Chseeads

With everything that has transpired around here in the last several months, it's been way way way too long.  A couple times a year or so in general, but I am way behind on it.